Euthanasia At Home

My Murphy was put to sleep at home and it was very peaceful. He was 13 1/2 and really wasn't sick, just old and his body gave out on him. He was in my comfy lovesac (giant beanbag that has turned into a dog bed), I fed him his favorite treats, he got comfortable and almost fell asleep while we said our goodbyes, and then he just went to sleep. It was the best possible way for my sweet little boy. Ducky had only been with us for about 2 months. But he layed quietly and respectfully on another dog bed in the room, and he knew something was going on. The vet did take him in a bag in his truck, I wasn't able to stay for that part, I had to go in another room since I would've probably lost it.

I would absolutely do it again if I can. It was probably twice the cost, but worth it. I had his ashes sent to me a few weeks later.

I miss you so much Murphy :(

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Melissa, I'm so sorry your girls aren't doing well :( I hope you will have a lot more quality time with both of them.

Riley was euthanized at home. I chose to have a friend take my other dogs to his house, I wasn't sure how they would react and it just seemed better at the time. Part of it too was that I wanted to have that day be all about Riley and and not have to think about anything else. Jabari definitely was not himself and quite depressed for a few months after, maybe seeing it happen would have been better, but I don't know.

I had another friend here with me when the vet came, and I was unable to stay while it was done. It was just too much. But my friend said it was very peaceful, and I'm so glad Riley was able to spend him last moments at home, where he was happy and comfortable. My vet even said when she arrived that she'd never seen him so happy, b/c he was always nervous when she'd seen him before at the vet office. That made me feel like it was the right choice.

eta - my vet took him back with her. She had a tech with her. That was part of the reason I couldn't stay... I couldn't bear seeing his body carried away.

Big kisses to both your girls :kiss2 and hugs to you :grouphug

Edited by RileysLegacy

When it was time for my cattle dog Ezra to go, my vet came to my house. I live next door to their office, so it was very convenient. I didn't actually expect him to say yes when I asked if he would be willing to do this, but I was very glad he did.

Ezra's passing was very calm and appeared non-stressful for him, which is exactly what I wanted. (I know sometimes euthanasia can be less peaceful than we would hope for; fortunately this has not been the case with any of my pets so far). I took him out to my parents' house to bury him, so my vet didn't need to take Ezra with him. (Caution - if you want to bury a pet, make sure it is legal in your area, it was at my parents' house).

My vet didn't even ask for payment right away, he said I could come by in a few days, whenever it was convenient. I went over a few minutes later to pay anyway, but really appreciated the gesture. I noticed that as he was leaving, my vet was rather teary-eyed, too.

Ezra was my only dog at the time, my only other pet was a cat who didn't really seem to have an adjustment period afterwards even though they were friendly with each other.

I would definitely do things the same way again, given the choice.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

My Tasha was euthanized at home. My vet also arrainged for the crematory people to pick her up around the same time. It was very peaceful and loving. My sister and BIL were with me. Fritz was lying on the couch and did not seem bothered at all by the proceedings. I really appreciated her (my Vet) for coming to my house on her way to the office. We were all teary eyed.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest luvskinnies

I've done it both ways. We decided to euthanize our greyhound at home, because she was very sensitive and being at the vet's office for her appointments left her a shivering shaking mess. We wanted her passing to be as calm and gentle as possible. It was the right choice for her. Our Rotti was not bothered by the vet office, so we euthanized her there when the time came, although it was a bit of a rushed situation due to the illness that she had. It was hard for us both times, but we tried to make the best decision for the individual pup. Sorry that you're going through this.

We let Polli go at home. While I can't tell you how Jack is going to respond, I can tell you that it made things a lot easier for Polli who was frightened beyond belief at the vet.

It's not a 5 secone process. First the vet comes in says hello to everyone. The first shot will relax and put the dog in a very tranquil (I don't care kinda head). You will spend as much time as you need during that time. Your dogs can be there for the whole thing.

The next shot....

From the time the vet came to our house and left, it was almost an hour.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My heart goes out to you.

Out of our four dogs at the Bridge, all but one have passed here at home.

We have a large property and have our own 'pet cemetery'.

Each dogs' collar/tags hang on the fence at the head of the grave. Tulips and daffodils bloom in the spring.

Our last dog to pass was an emergency situation and had to be PTS at the E-Vets.

That was awful, and Billie, our aged GSDx, was depressed for several weeks after that. She sat at the back gate day after day, looking and waiting for Penny. Broke my heart.

We did have a dog keel over dead from a heart attack. That was very hard, especially for DH...she was 'his girl'.

Like many have said, it can be so much more relaxed having it done at home.

Our vets are wonderful, caring dog owners and they are happy to come to the house.

I have a fantastic Equine Vet who has 'done the deed' for a two of the of dogs.

And of course with the horses...we have no choice but to have them PTS at here home.

My Mom's vet came to the house for her Lab, and they brought a stretcher to carry him out on so the vet could take him back to the clinic...Mom had arranged for cremation.

I have not noticed that any of the surviving animals - dogs or horses - are negatively affected by the passing.

Certainly they feel our grief, but the only time I noticed any sort of 'depression' was with Billie, when she was 'looking' for Penny to come home.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest RichardUK

I have had dogs PTS in almost all ways.

Brutus my large old GSD grew old gracefully - He was as fit as a fiddle until he was nineteen years old - then over the next two years became less inclined to want to do things - I used to carry him up and down stairs as he became so stressed if he had to sleep alone. He was never in pain but slowly walked less and eventually wouldn't eat - When he refused his chicken - it was time to go - It felt right for him to die at the home he had lived for 21 years - He died as gently as he had lived - but sadly the vet and nurse crowded me out of his final moments (I changed the vet after this) - I was determined that it would never happen again. I buried him in the garden with a memorial stone amid the roses.

Bessie was different - she lost the use of her back legs suddenly at 13 - and became stressed because she could not go outside to toilet. She was and still is the cleanest dog I've known - House-trained in half an hour at 8 weeks - would rush outside to be sick. I was worried she would collapse in her determination to go through the dog door and get stuck. I took her to our new vet and it was fine - I cuddled her while the anaesthetic was administered and she gently fell asleep cradled in my arms - It felt right.

Beauty had connective tissue cancer at 12.5 and after an operation to remove most of the tumour - she had a pain free life for 7 more months but lost the use of her legs- I took her to the vets - again it was fine - cuddling her until she stopped breathing.

Brian was only 11 and I'd only had him three years - he sadly became very weak gradually - eventually only being able to walk a few yards - I took him to the vet where he walked into the surgery under his own steam as I knew he would want to do - A long cuddle - then the anaesthetic was administered and he peacefully passed away.

The rest of my dogs died undergoing very serious operations. I have always regretted not being with them - But I always said "goodbye" with a lengthy cuddle just before they went into the OR.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I just had to Put my Broodie D.C to sleep, i would have loved to do it at home but that plan wasnt going to work out. we took her to the vet and brought Vegas and chili with to say good bye, she went peacefully in my lap while Vegas layed down next to her and Chili stood next to her. my vet and his staff are great people who were very supportive and caring durring the whole process, it made everything so much easier.

the best advice i can give it do what you think works best for your hound that will be going to the bridge and for your hounds staying with you. :grouphug

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

I have only had one animal pts here at home, all the others were pts at the vet's. It is so much less stressful and peaceful when done at home. Our MinPin was diabetic and started to go downhill very quickly. My vet doesn't do house calls, but made an exception for me. We were able to spend the day spoiling her, and I had time to prepare her final resting place in my garden. She was having a pretty good day, and even wagged her tail when the vet & his tech came over. She passed peacefully in my arms. I hope that I can arrange that when my greys have to leave. The only difference will be that I will have them cremated. It would be very hard to bury a bigger dog and I am really not supposed to do that in this city. I am sorry you have to start planning this. But planning ahead does make it a tiny bit easier. Then you can spend quality time with your baby.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

So sorry about your girls. My wife and I have talked about this in the past, all our pet were at the vets. When we got the news of OS with Brin, we decided to do right then and there, a deal we made with our boys a long time ago. Now with Blackie and Red they've come so close and the best of buds, they are never two feet away from each other, it's going to really hard one way or the other, but it will be at the vets. Last appointment of the day, far back office with his favorite puff and mommies pillow.

The worst, best of luck with your girls, sending lights and prayers

Guest greyaspet

If you have had a pet euthanized at home, please respond.

I have two 12 year old dogs, sisters, and both have issues. Rascal has cancer, and Ruby has a recent neck injury. I have spoken with my vet, and she's willing to come to our house when 'the time' comes. She will need notice, of course, since she just can't carry those drugs around; and it will have to be on her day off of course. Fortunately she lives nearby, so the distance won't be an issue for her.

Anyway, I think the time *may* be approaching for Ruby. Despite an incredible rally after her injury, she seems to be going downhill the past week or so. She is not eating as well, and therefore losing some weight again. Also, she is tired. Very tired. :( I am starting to see it in her eyes--she might not have a lot of fight left in her. :(

One of my concerns about euthanizing her at home is my other dogs. Her sister, Rascal, of course (and her days are probably numbered as well :() but more so Jack. Jack is apparently quite attached to Ruby--evidenced by him acting totally whacked out when she was in the hospital; he is just now (about 6 weeks post-accident) acting normal again.

If you've had this done at home, what did you do with your other dogs?

Will this be traumatic for Jack?

Should he be present, or in another room?

Is it better to do this at the vets?

Thanks.

I had two done at home. I put the other dogs in another room but with a gate so they could see what was going on the main reason was for me I needed to have my total breakdown with my dogs and my last time with them alone. Two different times with two different vets. I wanted my dogs to be as comfortable as possible their last few minutes.

Sheila

Guest dobiegrey

My vet's office has come to the house on two occasions to help my dogs pass. That would always be my preference, my dogs got to pass with all of us with them in their "favorite" spot. I have also had to do it at the vet's office which was me all alone with my girl, my vet is a great vet and his office members have all become personal friends over the years and when I had to make that final decision at the office they allowed me to stay with her for almost an hour on the floor of the examine room after she was gone. Both ways it is traumatic because of what you are having to do but I can say from my experience home is better.

One of the ones I had done at home we had another dog at the time and they were close, after the procedure we allowed him in to view and sniff her body because we really didn't know how to do it, but it was calm and he was calm he sniffed her all over than turned around and left the room, never seemed distressed, but at the time he was very sick himself and we didn't know it, a week after she passed he was diagnosed with leukemia and passed two weeks after that, let's just say that was the summer from hell 2003! I felt like I was hit by a bus, than stood up starting to brush myself off and go hit by a car!!! :(

edited for bad spelling :huh

Edited by dobiegrey

I've had two done at home, both on the same day <sigh>

I put all the other dogs in another room. I let them come out & smell them before they were taken away.

Quite honestly, not sure which I "like" best. My vet has a huge tree we park under and they go in my van (at least the majority have). It's peaceful, nice and convenient.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I don't have any experience of this yet :cry1 But I really would like it to happen at home when the time comes. Unfortunately my (wonderful) current vet operates a small practice and they don't offer this service. I wouldn't want a stranger to come and do it. I'd want someone who knows my companions to do it.

I am so very sorry about Ruby. :(:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest MnMDogs

I've been thinking about you since I read your post a few days ago. I'm so sorry that you're in this position :(

We've had ours euthanized at home by our vet. We're very lucky that she's one of the vets in the practice that performs this service. Both times, our girls reacted with happy tail wags when they saw we had a visitor. Both had had very bad days, so while it broke my heart to see it, it also made me believe that despite their bad last days, that they were happy before they left us.

We left our bedroom door open which is where both girls were most comfortable and allowed the other dogs to come in or not. Mara laid quietly on her bed in our room, and Mork stayed in the living room while we said good bye to Matty. Right after Matty got the second injection, Mork came bounding in the room to say hello to the vet. He sniffed Matty's body then went to lay down. Mara never got up from her bed.

When we let Mara go, I don't remember either dog being in the room with us, and I also remember it being much more gut-wrenching when it was her time. I think because we really thought she was going to be ok, and the second shot seemed to take so much longer than it did with Matty :(

When it's time to say goodbye to Mork, I'm not sure what we'll do. He LOVES the car so much that I think it may be practical to let him go at the vet in the car. However, I don't think we'll be able to drive after that.

Just be sure if you do choose euthanasia at home that you've already planned how the body will be transported away for cremation (if that's what you decide). That's not something you want to worry about after.

Again, I'm so sorry. It's a horrible situation to be in.

Edited by MnMDogs

Guest Figmama

I've been talking to my Vet, still trying to decide which way to go with the treatment for Ranger. Having read this discussion, I spoke to her about (assuming it isn't an emergent situation) having him euthanized at home. She said she would be glad to do that and, like some said, if I want him cremated, the facility would meet her her here and take the dog with them. If not, my Vet would take him.

I am so sorry for those that have had to deal with this but it sounds like a much more peaceful passing for the animal.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

Guest dobiegrey

I've been talking to my Vet, still trying to decide which way to go with the treatment for Ranger. Having read this discussion, I spoke to her about (assuming it isn't an emergent situation) having him euthanized at home. She said she would be glad to do that and, like some said, if I want him cremated, the facility would meet her her here and take the dog with them. If not, my Vet would take him.

I am so sorry for those that have had to deal with this but it sounds like a much more peaceful passing for the animal.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

Much more peaceful and a lot less stressful!

When I had to let Neyla go right before Christmas, I had a vet come to my home. I honestly can't remember what I did with Zuri now - he was crated in the room we were in I think, or maybe he was crated or gated in the bedroom? Huh, strange that I can't remember, I just know that I chose to have him away from us so he wouldn't disturb Neyla while it was happening. He's used to being crated and I'm sure I gave him a kong wherever he was so he was occupied.

When it was over and the vet left, I let him out of the crate so he could come and smell her and see that she was gone. The cat did the same. Then I had the crematory people who were waiting outside come in to get her body. I let him watch them carry her out and then walked out with them to say one final goodbye.

I do believe it helped him to have it done at home so he could understand what happened, rather than her just disappearing one day. And there was no way I was going to take her to the vet anyway because she was so scared there. Here, it was (mostly) peaceful and relaxed. I would have preferred it was my vet, who she knew, but my vet wouldn't do it so I found another female vet who would come here. Neyla actually went up to her tail wagging when she came inside. :cry1

Some other suggestions that were helpful to me at the time were to think whether there was anything I would want cremated with her (I sent her favorite toy and she was laying on her COG blanket, which I had them take with her) and to make sure I didn't have collars on her that I would want to keep when they took her body. People also warned me that it is possible that they will lose control of their bowels or urinate so you may want to consider what's underneath her.

I'm sorry you're having to consider this, I know how heartbreaking it is, but I do think it helps to think through this stuff ahead of time so things will go as smoothly as possible when the time does come. :grouphug

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Given the choice, I would do it at home everytime. When the time came for Ellie, my Scottie, she was my only dog at the time. With Lewis, his two sisters, brother and I spent all day outside and enjoyed a beautiful, warm March day to say our goodbyes. When the vet came, we all stayed out and Lewis had his head in my lap when he went to heaven. It was very sad but so peaceful for him. She (the vet) gave me plenty of time with him and then took him for cremation. The other three were not interested at all. Hitchie got sad about two or three days later. The girls went on about their business like nothing had happened. I wish I'd had that chance with Kevin.

Edited by fourofem

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)