Apparently Scared Of Table

There are two tables in our building's lobby that Bella seems terrified of. I can't figure out why but when she has to go past one or the other she walks as far away from them as possible. If she has to walk near them, she leans as hard as possible against me and scrambles to get by, which usually causes her to slip a little on the marble floors, making the problem worse.

:blink:

P1000739+%2528800x599%2529.jpg

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I wonder if Bella is seeing her reflection?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I guess depending on how the light hits it, she might see the reflection in the table for much longer than she does in your mirror. It might provide a longer, moving shadow, if you will. :dunno Poor thing :blush

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Evil table scares her because.......it has 4 legs yet no head. :blink:

Could you lay a nice smelly treat on that table to make it less scary? ;)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

i love all of the answers above, evil table, no head , might break:lol

try having a high quailty treat and talking to your pup when you pass the "table". have your pup on the other side, away from the object in doubt and keep her focused on you and the treat. annie spooks at various things, i just laugh it off and interest her in something way better- marshmallows do it every time for my scardey cat. don't use that treat anywhere else, she will start to look for the treat when you enter the lobby with in a couple of runs in and out of the building. eventually you will be able to stop near the table and talk to someone, just feed her those treats.

What's that black thing on the table? From the angle it looks like a cat.:lol

She may be afraid of the things on the table and not the table itself.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest SoulsMom

I totally 'get' this. Soul is scared of the strangest things too. Weird random things like certain cutting board, a lamp in the living room, and my light sabar

Edited by SoulsMom

To the OP- I didn't put two and two together! I follow your blog, and I typed a comment about your table problem yesterday! :P

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest zaylea

Batou was scared of all kinds of weird stuff, like the mop and (parked) red cars, and somewhat reasonable stuff, like new places. He was really big strong boy so it was easy for him to freeze up and resist me. However, he couldn't resist wheelbarrowing (i.e. stand behind him, grab the "hams" of his legs, lift him up and push him forward so that he's briefly walking on his front legs), and eventually he learned that freezing up was never an effective strategy.

Guest Scouts_mom

My silly Henry went through a stage when he was scared of stop signs. :modstop As I live in the city this was a problem on our walks. What caused it? Who knows--maybe the sun reflected strangly off the back one time? He has gotten over it pretty much although I still see him glancing up at them to see if the evil sign is going to attack him. To help him thru the fear, I let him spend as long as he wanted to staring at the signs, and then tried to get him to walk as close to it as I could without him freaking out, all the time talking cheerfully to him about how silly he was. It helped that his grey-sisters laughed at him too.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I would scotch tape some news or other paper to the sides to kill the reflection, then put a treat nearby, so that she can come up and sniff it. Once she can get close to it and is OK with it - I would remove the paper one a day to see if that helps.

I would say she saw a moving reflection or shadow on it. My dog eats next to the fridge - and one day she would no longer get near her food bowls. I think she saw her shadow move and it startled her. The bad things is that these guys have long memories - easpecially when something scares them - they become wary for quite a while. Good luck!

I've had greys and foster greys scared of everything from ceiling fans to the sound of frying bacon. I still maintain - greys are weird! :lol

I also believe there's a reason for the fear - one that you may NEVER understand. Maybe one time when she walked by the table, someone made a loud noise - so she associates the table with a scary noise. It can be that "random" to us - but makes perfect sense to her, because that's the way her brain processed it.

Desensitize. Walk past the table - give a treat. Turn around, walk past the table again, give a treat. Do it over and over until you bore her to death. Start out as far away as you can get, slowly get closer each pass. Make it the most normal thing ever. Repetition of good things happening at the scary place over-rides whatever demon she has associated with it.

BTW - desensitizing the foster that had a fear of the sound of frying bacon put a good 10 lbs on every member of this family. Thank goodness it only took a week of daily bacon!!! :P The upside was - afterwards I could get that dog to do ANYTHING for a piece of bacon! :P:lol

Guest NJgrey

Ellie is/ has been afraid of the following:

- wood cut outs in the shape of dogs used to scare away geese

- snowmen, but not all. Just those that are small and in moderate to severe stages of melt

- small, fluffy black dogs

I can't explain any of them, but I do know the only thing that made it all better was passing them day in and day out. Then she just got used to it.

I agree completely with sobesmom. It happens for reasons we'll never know, but the best you can do is try to de-sensitize. Don't force the issue by making her go close. Let her go at her own pace.

Guest jaws4evr

Our GH has similar "scary" spots in the house.. we're pretty sure they're unrelated to teh furniture (kitchen table, island corner etc) and more related to slipping on the floor. The furniture is just a "marker" for "place I slip sometimes", which as youv'e said, is a self fulfilling prophecy!

Nina tries to use her claws to dash by scary spots, which of course makes her skate around like she's on ice skates and makes the next attempt even worse.

We've had some success with slowing her down. We don't try to make her go TO the table, if she wants to mash herself against the opposite wall that's fine. But we use either body blocking, or a leash and stop her forward momentum. We then ask her to stand there until she relaxes, (on her own power, not holding her still) which seems to help her brains quandry between dashing forward past scary spot, and being afraid fo slip :)

You could always test the slipping theory by putting a little area rug near the table and seeing if it makes a different.

DH and I joke that we could put a juicebox in the middle of a hallway and Nina would be absolutely stuck forever. :)

Guest momofevie

While I feel bad for the dogs, this thread is cracking me up! :lol

Hoping Bella is finding her way around the table more comfortably.

Ah, yes, updates!

I don't really care that she doesn't like the table (I don't, either!) but when the lobby is crowded I can't have her banging into me trying to get away from it - she's caused me to almost fall one morning and has caused me to bang into other people, and that why I need her to get better about it.

So, lots of back and forth near the table until she was sick to death of it, lots of yummy smelly treats on, under and around it and she's much better. She's making less of a point of lunging away from it - still looks at it a little warily but that's ok.

The advice here and what I did was pretty close to what I would have done with a spooky horse so I guess I need to just bring some of my horse experience to dogs :D

Thanks all!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Ah, yes, updates!

I don't really care that she doesn't like the table (I don't, either!) but when the lobby is crowded I can't have her banging into me trying to get away from it - she's caused me to almost fall one morning and has caused me to bang into other people, and that why I need her to get better about it.

So, lots of back and forth near the table until she was sick to death of it, lots of yummy smelly treats on, under and around it and she's much better. She's making less of a point of lunging away from it - still looks at it a little warily but that's ok.

The advice here and what I did was pretty close to what I would have done with a spooky horse so I guess I need to just bring some of my horse experience to dogs :D

Thanks all!

WooHOO!!! Great job!!!! Mind-numbing boredom, and treats - the perfect combo for de-scarifying! :lol Do a follow-up boredom and treats session in a couple weeks, just to reinforce. :)