Ibd Low Fat Kibble

Please tell me what kibble to feed my IBD Grey. He seems to be allergic to chicken and beef. The lowest fat % I can find on the internet is 10% and that is in Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish or Venison, or Bison. Is there some other foods I am missing that are lower in fat and do not have chicken or beef in them? Thank again.

Guest mysymba

Hi..I have been down the IBD road with Symba for close to six years now...the ONLY and I mean ONLY food he can tolerate is the Science Diet I/D kibble(tried raw also)...I am not a fan of Science Diet but he is thriving on it now for over a year...doing fantastic...we started with the cans ans slowly worked our way to kibble with boiled chicken on top...our vet is shocked at the change in his whole disposition including his poos... :blush sorry...no other way to put it...sometimes you have to work with different foods to see what best fits your dog...but this one was the cure all for him...best of luck to you....I might want to add the cans area bit expensive...but very well worth it...we just stopped eating out quite so often to help our greyhound...I would do anything for him and so happy I could... ;)...oh yeah and one more thing..we found that the high in protein kibbles were what Symba was having trouble with digesting..so even if it says for IBD...if they are high in proteion..may not be ideal?

Edited by mysymba

I think Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken is lamb and @ 10% fat. Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato, just fish, 10% fat. Probably some others but those are the ones that leap to mind.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

low fat is not necessarily an IBD requirement, unless you know that is a problem for your dog. Finding kibble without chicken can be a challenge! Wellness makes a "Simple" line with limited ingredients, and Nature's Variety also has kibble with non standard ingredients. I'm not sure about the fat % for either, though.

We do pretty well with the Natural Balance venison & sweet potato and also the Ziwi Peak dehydrated venison kibble. The trickiest thing for us is formulas that are simple enough! The other brands have a lot of things like spinach, blueberries, kelp, carrots, etc., etc., etc. all together in one formula! Most IBD dogs can't handle that complexity. So while your dog, like ours, may do well on low fat, that may not be the only consideration.

Best luck!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Solid Gold WolfKing Adult - Bison & Fish based,

No poultry. No Beef

9% fat

http://www.solidgold...uct=62&code=170

Found another:

Addiction Wild Kangaroo & Apple

Dried Kangaroo Meat, Oats, Rice, Yeast, Canola Oil, Peas, Apples, Salt, Taurine, Garlic, Natural Antioxidants, Choline Chloride, Amino Acids (Leucine, Phenylalanine-Tyrosine, Arginine, Valine, Lysine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Isoleucine, Methionine-Cystine, Histidine, Methionine, Tryptophan, Cystine), Vitamins & Minerals (Choline, Thiamine B1, Pyridoxine B6, Riboflavin B2, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Pantothenic Acid B5, Niacin B3, Vitamin C, Biotin, Iodine, Selenium, Zinc, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Calcium, Phosphorus, Sodium, Dicalcium Phosphate and Calcium Carbonate)

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein - (min) 22%

Crude Fat - (min) 8%

Crude Fibre - (max) 7%

Moisture - (max) 10%

Typical Analysis:

Calcium - 2.4%

Phosphorus - 1.4%

Sodium - 0.4%

Caloric Content 3240 kcal/kg

Edited by 4My2Greys

If your dog cannot have chicken at all your options will be limited. About 2 years ago I went thru the ingredients in most of the dog foods out there to get a reasonably priced kibble to feed a "chicken sensitive" dog. What I found is that most of the kibbles will have some "non-specified oils" or ingredients which are likely to be chicken based. I was only able to find three that did not list any chicken or "suspicious ingredients" and one of those was the Limited Ingredient Natural Balance. I used the Venison and sweet potato which seemed to do the trick for this dog. Since then I have used this dog food for other fosters also.

By the way the other two (reasonably priced) with no chicken were the Solid Gold beef and Barley which wasn't helping enough and the other was the Petsmart's Authority Lamb and Rice which didn't help at all.

Guest kydie

I have an IBD pup here,, for him,, fat was not an issue,, once we got the poops controled,, grains in products where his problem,, it is much easier to find grain free products now than it was years ago,, I agree with,, it is a trial and error with each dog :)

California Natural makes a low fat lamb and rice. It was recommended to me when he had his colitis problems.

Ingredients are:

Brown Rice, lamb meal, rice, sunflower oil, natural flavors, potassium chloride, vitamins, minerals, taurine and rosemary extract.

It seems to fit the bill as far as limited ingredients and no mystery oils -- 7% fat and it won't break the bank.

Good luck with your guy!

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

That Addiction kangaroo food really disappoints me. By the time you need to resort to kangaroo, do you think all those grains (oats and rice), yeast, apples, and peas are going to help? Maybe they intended it to be food for yuppies' dogs, not IBD dogs!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

That Addiction kangaroo food really disappoints me. By the time you need to resort to kangaroo, do you think all those grains (oats and rice), yeast, apples, and peas are going to help? Maybe they intended it to be food for yuppies' dogs, not IBD dogs!

I didn't suggest it was a food for dogs suffering from IBD. As others have already said, fat is probably not the culprit, but the OP ask for foods that had a lower fat percentage than 10% and did not contain either chicken or beef. That was one of the few that met those requirements. And yes, if your dog is intolerant to other sources of protein this would be a choice to make. Of course there is the ever popular Science Diet Prescription foods one could choose. Science Diet W/D only exceeds the fat percentage by a wee bit at 8.7% and look at all the wonderful ingredients it contains:

Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken by-product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Mill Run, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Lactic Acid, Soybean Meal, Caramel Color, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Flaxseed, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Iodized Salt, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, L-Threonine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Of course this food contains chicken so for the OP it is out, but of course one could follow Science Diets' means of lowering fat percentage by adding wood shavings (powdered cellulose) to any dogfood. As for cost this garbage would be comparable to what you would pay for Addiction.

If I were the OP I would consider having the food sensitivity test done that Californiagreys posted. There could be more things at play causing problems than just the chicken and beef . The test is something I'm actually thinking about doing for Nadir.

Of course this food contains chicken so for the OP it is out, but of course one could follow Science Diets' means of lowering fat percentage by adding wood shavings (powdered cellulose) to any dogfood.

As recently as 3 years ago Hill's used peanut hulls in their low fat and tarter control formulas. Now it is wood pulp. :chow just good 'eatin'.

My vet tried to get me to feed diabetic Poodle w/d and I said no way in heck was I feeding cellouse.

Corn? yes

Named by-products? yes

Wood? no.

:dunno if green beans, collards or spinach are out for ibd dogs, but they are a way to lower the fat content by mixing in any kibble meal and most dogs like them.

Cellulose is there for fiber, not nutrition, so I'm not sure I see what the big deal is -- it's not absorbed. I don't love it, but Beth is doing great on I/D (she doesn't have diagnosed IBD though, but an evident pancreas issue -- and lots of foods have not worked for her in the past).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Cellulose is there for fiber, not nutrition, so I'm not sure I see what the big deal is -- it's not absorbed. I don't love it, but Beth is doing great on I/D (she doesn't have diagnosed IBD though, but an evident pancreas issue -- and lots of foods have not worked for her in the past).

Check out i/d vs. w/d and i/d looks like an all star. I like my fiber to be something remotely digestable as opposed to wood.

I'm sure cellouse is fine and works great for some dogs but Poodle is getting his fiber from brown rice.

If it is working for Beth stay with it!

To me the big deal is that they are charging around $80.00 for a bag of ground corn and sawdust. I will say that I/D is minimally better than W/D. At least cellulose, ie sawdust isn't the second ingredient. I do wonder though for people that suffer from IBD are they told to add sawdust to their diet.

To me the big deal is that they are charging around $80.00 for a bag of ground corn and sawdust. I will say that I/D is minimally better than W/D. At least cellulose, ie sawdust isn't the second ingredient. I do wonder though for people that suffer from IBD are they told to add sawdust to their diet.

Ok- we get it- you don't like I/D. Have you ever had an IBD hound? Well, I have- it's hell- it's an awful disease. I lost my boy after fighting the disease for 3 years. While I always tried to feed the best sometimes you have to break down and feed what will keep your hound alive.

If sawdust kept me feeling well-- dish me up a plate. Sometimes you have to make exceptions in life. RIP Poots

Actually yes I do. Nadir suffers from colitis, which is a form of IBD. I've been through the bouts of

liquid, bloody poop and not wanting to eat numerous times. I have a problem though when I answer an OP's question with a food containing quality ingredients and the response is that it is a "disappointing" food choice. However, let someone mention I/D and you would think manna had rained from the heavens.

Ok- we get it- you don't like I/D. Have you ever had an IBD hound? Well, I have- it's hell- it's an awful disease. I lost my boy after fighting the disease for 3 years. While I always tried to feed the best sometimes you have to break down and feed what will keep your hound alive.

If sawdust kept me feeling well-- dish me up a plate. Sometimes you have to make exceptions in life. RIP Poots

:blush I am not sure that I had an IBD hound as Rex was diagnosed with "severe colitis" .

We waded through all his bloody runs, grumbly tummy that would wake me at night, and various other digestive trials and tribulations. What fixed Rex was not cellouse, but beet pulp in a grocery store dog food without wood pulp. Whatever works works. :kiss2 and RIP poots

Edited by Hubcitypam

Thanks Pam-- Poots (aka Sly Spin) was a special boy and sadly a sick one on and off for his last 3 years.

The term IBD seems to be used for every dog that has gi issues. True IBD is an immune disease. It's truly horrible - it can be and is a deadly disease. Poots was admitted many times to the hospital and was given a guarded prognosis many times over. His lost the battle when his IBD morphed into cancer of his duodeum. Ironicaly, he did pretty well with an OTC food- Natural Balance Duck and Potato.

My heart goes put to all the owners and hounds dealing with the disease.

I've fed I/D. When that is what the dog needs, the canned I/D works better than anything I can concoct myself. W/D -- well, yes, cellulose is weird, but some types of bowel disease respond to high indigestible fiber when they won't respond to anything else. Then there are the hydrolyzed protein foods such as Z/D, without which some IBD and allergy dogs would die ......

The disadvantage to the regular foods (vs. prescription foods) for a sick dog is, you risk the food containing residues of things that aren't on the label (such as chicken or soy) that the dog might react to. Somebody did a study on that a couple years back. Eek.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Out of sheer frustration I bought a bag of Hill's I/D. I am giving him 1 cup of Hills and 1 cup of TOTW Salmom twice a day. Once a day I am trying a probiotic in his food. I have seen no change in his poop, but there are no tummy gurgling, so I guess that is good. Vet wants to do a biopsy so that she can start him on predisone. I am not happy with doing that so will hold off. Think I will pick up a small bag of Solid Gold Wolfing Bison, however I have had him on Dick Van Patton's Bison and Sweet Potato and that did not help his problem at all. I do thank everyone for all of the input on this subject. Blessings to all, Nan

If you're not 100% sure about the chicken,** might try IAMS Lamb & Rice. It does contain some chicken meal and chicken fat. But, as Hubcitypam and I have touted many times, IAMS contains beet pulp, which seems beneficial for many dogs' digestion. Lamb & Rice fat is lower than most (tho not exceptionally low) at 12%.

** I've had dogs do poorly on some chicken-based foods but not others. If you've fed plain old chicken (raw or cooked) and that hasn't worked, that would be a clear indication of a problem.

We think my dog has IBD and have had him on the Hill's d/d Venison. While I'm not thrilled with the food (and neither is he), he does seem to be doing pretty well on it. The smallest change in his food or even treats seems to start a flare up of super-mushy poop, so we're trying very hard to limit him to just the food.

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com