Toot Toot!

Guest sweetpea

Guest sweetpea

So the thing with training is consistency and patience and diligence and more patience.

I know this, but Sweetpea is THE definition of easy, so I never really

had to test it.

Sebastian (rat terrier) has been a real test. He does things we don't like,

and we just keep reacting to those behaviors, instead of teaching him behaviors

that we do like.

Frankly, we've been pretty lazy where his training is concerned.

It seemed like his issues were so overwhelming, it was hard to know where to start.

Well, last week I decided that I might not be able to fix all of our issues, but I

could work on one: his hyper-reactivity on walks. When he sees another dog, or a free-range

kitty, he turns into a raving maniac, snarling and barking and lunging and twisting

every which way to try and back out of his collar. He doesn't pay any attention to

whoever is walking him, we have to physically drag him as far from the other creature

as possible. It's awful.

So I stuffed my pocket with kibble, and taught him "look at me".

Every morning walk we'd take our normal route, and at random locations and times I

would say "look at me" and shove a piece of kibble in his bikkie hole when he did.

He learned the command very quickly, and after a week I was sort of itching to see if it would

make any difference in our encounters with other animals.

Well, today was the first day we encountered another dog on our walk, and he did great!

He did get excited, he squeaked a little and his hackles went up, but I just kept saying

look at me and rewarding him every time he did.

It probably sounds pretty small potatoes, but it's so rewarding to me.

I never had any doubt that he was smart enough to learn, I just never felt like I was

capable of over-coming all of his problems.

I finally realized that I never had to take on all of his

issues, one at a time will do for now.

So be patient grasshoppers, and keep at it.

And be sure and share your successes, so we can steal your techniques!

Buzzy

feeling competent, for the moment

Guest sheila

good job! Training the first thing is the biggest hurdle and you might surprise yourself now at how much Sebastion is able to learn. I'm no expert on anything, but I really think that dogs want and need to be shown what is expected of them and using positive training is a good way to begin the process.

That's AWESOME! Good job!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Great job Miss Buzzy! I agree that most dogs like and thrive on structure and boundaries. Keep building on your success with him!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

That's great!

We have a Jack Russell mix, Oscar, who recently started reacting to one dog in our neighborhood - I think I'll try what you did to see if I can make it work for him too. I think if I can get Oscar to behave, Joker will too since he pretty much just reacts to whatever Oscar is reacting to.

Thanks for sharing!!

Congrats! :yay

Not that I'm overreaching here with my assumptions or anything, but it sounds to me like you both have a dog who is a quick learner and a trainer who has some good dog sense and timing so you two should be able to accomplish quite a bit if you keep at it. IMHO. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest sweetpea

Thanks guys!

The problem with training Sebastian is that he is so food obsessed that he fixates on the treat,

and knot on what I'm trying to train him. It's actually easier when he's outside walking and

distracted by all the smells, so he will look away from the treat hand for a couple of seconds

and I can lure the appropriate response out of him.

Inside, it's a whole 'nother story. A seemingly futile and frustrating story. :headwall

But, he started "huffing" (which is him muffling a bark) when he heard

the neighbors moving around outside, so I threw a "lookatme" and he sat

QUIETLY and waited for his treat. baby steps....

So if you come over to visit and we all have beefy-treat smelling hands, it's 'cause we want to

be prepared to try and catch a good behavior!

Buzzy

obligatory cute picture

007-1.jpg

Aw, he's a cutie.

Have you tried a treat bag that clips onto your belt or has a waist strap? That way you can keep the food out of sight but still within reach. Using that in conjunction with a clicker may help a lot. Also, if he's looking at your hand rather than making eye contact he's not giving you teh right behavior so I would start shaping the right behavior when there's no distraction to get his attention away from the food. He only gets his click and treat when he makes and later maintains eye contact with you.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."