Dangers Of The South?

Okay, I realize that OH isn't EXACTLY "the South", but it's 7 hours south of where we live. Just wondering if there are any major things to watch out for down there? I've already been warned about the ticks. I've got 2 vials of Advantix left so we've got that covered. We've got heartworm prevention as well. Are here any other things I should be particularly mindful of? I was considering getting his lepto vaccine but I don't think that's any more of a worry there than here.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Ohio isn't even CLOSE to "the south."

Don't give him heartworm preventative if you haven't had him on it unless you get him tested first. Ohio is a pretty nice place with not a lot of dangers lurking! Have a nice time!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Ohio isn't even CLOSE to "the south."

Don't give him heartworm preventative if you haven't had him on it unless you get him tested first. Ohio is a pretty nice place with not a lot of dangers lurking! Have a nice time!

He's a blood donor and I'm a vet student so you can be sure that was the first blood work he ever had done when I got him! :P (He also had a CBC/profile done at the same time... in case anyone feels like suggesting that should have been done. :))

The only dangerous things in Ohio are THE DRIVERS!!!!

I'm from Toronto originally. Bring it! lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest LokisMom

Ohio shouldn't be too tick ridden depending on how far in the country you are. I lived my whole life in Indiana (right next to Ohio) and never saw a tick on my dogs until I moved to the actual south.

There aren't any majors dangers I can think of in that midwestern-ish region.

You want to do the heartworm test just before starting the meds :) . Have fun!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ohio is maybe 7 more hours from what many consider "the south".

You should be fine and I wouldn't spring for the lepto unless you are planning on activities more wild than walks outside the hotel, but that is just me.

totally agree that it is not a dangerous place for the most part.

I think you'll find the lower 48 to actually be quite civilized and inhabitable. :blush;)

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Just be aware of the temperature. The one year I went to Dewey I drove alone and it was above 90F in October. I was completely freaked out having to leave the dogs in the car, but I had to make a bathroom stop. If you're driving with a second person it will make it much easier to stay with the car to keep the AC running if it's super hot out.

Also, make sure you've got all your immunization papers in order and that you're allowed to carry your brand of dog food both ways across the border.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest arlosmom

Ah! when you are really ready to come South where the ticks are plentiful, the mosquitos are of nuclear size, the heat will boil you but the beaches have blue water and nice light sand. You will think you are in paradise. Come to North Carolina! :colgate

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Agreed on the ticks. If you are going to visit ANYWHERE with trees, bushes, or tall grass make sure you have tick prevention. We don't get the Lyme disease, just the annoying blood suckers, but better safe than sorry!!

Nothing too crazy to keep an eye out for though. It's pretty "safe" all things considered. Just watch your pooches for signs of over heating as it's probably a bit warmer here than it is in some parts up north!

Guest Swifthounds

The only dangerous things in Ohio are THE DRIVERS!!!!

:lol :lol :lol

And if you drive through MA first, Ohio drivers will seem like a dream!

I wouldn't bother with the lepto unless advised strongly by a local vet. If I did give it, I would do the separate vaccine, and not the combo in the distempter (which is pretty much useless by comparison).

I have to say, as states go, Ohio put a lot of effort into planning and layout. A decade ago they had far better rest stops and dog potty areas than anything you would find in the northeast. Good luck and have a good time.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Definitely skip the lepto vaccine. There is a very low incidence of it in Ohio and the vaccine is really dangerous IMHO. 2 of my whippets had REALLY bad reactions to it so we don't vaccinate for it anymore. The vaccine doesn't even protect against all strains!

I actually do the lepto vaccine every spring. But I do this only because my dogs have daily free access to a large wooded area with lots of swampy spots with standing water that they like to drink from. All sorts of critters (including raccoons and possums) also use this area. There have been a couple of reports of lepto in my immediate area over the last few years -- it is definitely not common. I have never had a dog have a bad reaction to the lepto vaccine. Of course my two dogs who are on chemo don't get vaccinated.

I would NOT do the lepto in your case. You will likely be walking your dog on a leash if you are ever visiting a wild area like where I live. Definitely keep up with the heartworm medication. In my yard, I do need to do tick protection. The ticks are the worst in the spring and reduce in number by mid-summer. I give them a dose around March 15, May 1, July 1, and Sept 1. I typically find about 10 to 15 ticks on me or the dogs (not embedded) each year. Of course, this is totally a function of my naturally wooded acreage. When Joe was donating blood at OSU, they required monthly doses of Frontline in addition to the monthly heartguard to ensure a safe blood supply. Tick diseases are rare here, but they occur enough that OSU felt this was necessary in blood donor dogs.

With the exception of heartworm, central Ohio is pretty free of nasty stuff. The only poisonouse wild things are copperhead snakes (extremely rare) and black widow and brown recluse spiders (also extremely rare). Even if you spent most of your time in the "wilderness" areas you would likely not encounter these in your entire life time. We do have a lot of poison ivy in the wild. So if you intend to do the hiking that we talked about, you will want to be able to recognize this plant so you can avoid a nasty, itchy rash.

Lastly, I wanted to let you know that I did ask OSU about student dress code for you. It actually depends on the rotation. For oncology, you can wear either scrubs or business casual, topped by a white coat of either length.

Jane

Having graduated from Wooster (Holmes County, Ohio) my immediate response (after "south???!!!) is to watch out for the Amish horse-drawn buggies.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Having graduated from Wooster (Holmes County, Ohio) my immediate response (after "south???!!!) is to watch out for the Amish horse-drawn buggies.

I had a friend of mine who worked for the college about 10 years ago. A really lovely campus!

• 3 weeks later...

Wha! I think I totally forgot about this post! I just remembered it because I was thinking about that lepto vaccine again today at work.

Thanks all for the further responses.

Did someone say spiders? Venomous spiders? I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep. I am so arachniphobic it's actually sad. It's debilitating. And I'm just talking about the little spiders we have here in southern Ontario. When I visited my uncle in Georgia/Florida... I'm not really sure how I survived... there were spiders bigger than my hand. I mean, I actually scream and cry and am nearly hysterical yelling for the BF to kill the spiders here.... It's actually embarrassing but I don't know how to fix it.

Anyway, probably won't have much time for hiking or anything like that, so I guess we'll skip the lepto and we've got two doses of tick meds left so we'll utilize those on top of our heartworm.

How hot DOES it get in July? That comment concerned me as well. Not so much for the dog as for me. I hate heat. Of course, so does Summit so I guess we'll suffer together. ;)

Thanks for the dress code, Jane! I will make sure to bring the appropriate duds!

Like us on Facebook!

lol..ohio...south..if u go to any of the metroparks or woodsy areas, we get a lot of mosquitos other than that just don't expect a lot of sun..always cloudy here..lol

july weather usually is in the low 80's..however some years we have reached 90's and humid..it's kind of a crap shoot with our weather..ten minutes it could be raining, then ten minutes later sun is out and hot...but have a good trip :lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest bethac

We live in northern OH - just south of Cleveland, and we DO get ticks here so you'll want to treat for that. We also treat for heartworm here. No lepto for our greys, though.

Temperatures can be in the 90's in July, although generally I would say 80's. The farther south you go in Ohio (as in, Cincinnati) the hotter it will be. Not so bad up here in the NE corner, but we have central air and it's running right now with temps of 78 because it is muggy and the pollen count is high. Doggies love the a/c and so do we.

Yes, we have spiders, but I've never had a problem with poisonous ones here. Depending on where you are staying, you could see raccoon, skunk, and of course BUNNY RABBITS when walking at dawn or dusk. My greys know exactly where the bunnies hang out each morning ... :)

Enjoy your visit. In late August my local greyhound adoption group hosts a wonderful two-day event in Cleveland called Canine Fun Days. This year it is August 20-21. Maybe you can attend! www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org

Guest CampWhippet

Okay, I realize that OH isn't EXACTLY "the South", but it's 7 hours south of where we live. Just wondering if there are any major things to watch out for down there?

Ohio State fans. :lol

We live in northern OH - just south of Cleveland, and we DO get ticks here so you'll want to treat for that. We also treat for heartworm here. No lepto for our greys, though.

Temperatures can be in the 90's in July, although generally I would say 80's. The farther south you go in Ohio (as in, Cincinnati) the hotter it will be. Not so bad up here in the NE corner, but we have central air and it's running right now with temps of 78 because it is muggy and the pollen count is high. Doggies love the a/c and so do we.

Yes, we have spiders, but I've never had a problem with poisonous ones here. Depending on where you are staying, you could see raccoon, skunk, and of course BUNNY RABBITS when walking at dawn or dusk. My greys know exactly where the bunnies hang out each morning ... :)

Enjoy your visit. In late August my local greyhound adoption group hosts a wonderful two-day event in Cleveland called Canine Fun Days. This year it is August 20-21. Maybe you can attend! www.greyhoundadoptionofoh.org

Summit is used to bunnies. There are 3 that terrorize him at home. He hides in the bedroom when they come out.

Canine Fun Days sounds like a good time! Unfortunately I'm only in OH for 3 weeks and will be gone already. :(

Like us on Facebook!

Guest SoulsMom

And if you drive through MA first, Ohio drivers will seem like a dream!

No Kidding! There is a reason for the phrase "M-A-$-$-H-O-L-E"

edited because I had to trick the autonanny for my post to make sense B)

Edited by SoulsMom