Brain Tumor?

My mother's friend began a thread here about Ozzy's condition. She has been wonderful to my mom and has been helping her through this tough time.

What we're being told now is that Ozzy has a brain tumor on his cerebellum. The MRI showed a "fuzzy" lesion, but the vet stated that he didn't think it was cancer. He forwarded the films to a colleague of his at a university (either Michigan or Mississippi State, I'm not sure which at this point), and the diagnosis from him was that it is definitely a cancerous brain tumor. My mom has since asked for the MRI to be forwarded to Dr. Couto at OSU, but as far as I know that hasn't been done yet. The last time she spoke to the vet, he told her that Ozzy has already "received the best care in the country". I don't want to get into that right now...

To this point Ozzy has had NO seizures, not a single one. He did have some head tremors and that seems to be consistant with lesions/tumors, but even that seems to have stopped. His cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) test has come back negative as well as the tick panel.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is to ask if anyone else has had, or heard of anyone who has had, a simliar experience. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. I would like to have as much data as possible before my mom gets to the point of having to make a tough decision. Ozzy is her first greyhound, I guess you would call him her heart greyhound? I've done so much research the past couple weeks that everything seems to blend together now and I can't sort it out.

Thank you all for any help and prayers.

Edited by andyjg13

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

- Douglas Adams

Is Ozzy having any other symptoms? It sounds like he might need a new vet. :grouphug:hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Shadrach had a brain tumor and he died very quickly after I knew something was wrong. He never seizured but did fall over twice when he was excited to see my DD. We took him to our vet who told me what it was & that night when he was struggling to get comfortable I told him he could go find his big brothers at the bridge if he wanted to in less than 10 minutes he was gone. It was hard on me but the vet said it was best for him. I would guess how the dog reacts would depend on where in the brain the tumor is. Hugs to your mom & to Ozzy too.

I'd get a copy of the MRI on a disc, make a copy on your home computer, then send it to Ohio State. If possible, I'd get a video of any strange behaviors/symptoms that are being observed. It doesn't matter how smart this vet is, if he isn't open to working with the foremost greyhound expert IN THE WORLD, then you need to take matters into your own hands. Don't wait, hoping that the vet will forward the MRI. It may be too late.

If the file isn't too large, you can send the MRI file electronically via OSU's greyhound wellness website. Even if you have to send the disc, submit a consult request via the GH Wellness website.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

If you've had the films done, please get in touch with Dr. Liz Pluhar at the University of Minnesota Vet School. They're doing a clinical trial on brain tumors, and if Ozzy's got a diagnosis he may be accepted. It's an awesome study that helped our family out tremendously.

Guest Lakota

One of my neighbours has an Airdale that with brain cancer. She was treated (sorry don't have many details on what the treatment was other than "very expensive"). It's now been almost 2 years since her diagnosis, she's still arround, fur is a little coarser than before and she's definately slower, but her personailty is the same as ever. Since she's now 14, the slowness and fur change may be age related or could be from the cancer and it's treatment.

Sorry your mom is going through this.

Many well wishes for Ozzy.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

He shows a lot of the symptoms of vestibular syndrome. Some of his symptoms include:

--trouble walking with loss of balance to the left side (this gets better after he walks for a little bit)

--slight head tilt to the left

--loss of appetite

--eyes darting from side to side (although, my mom hasn't noticed this for a few days)

--head tremors

--fatigue (when going for walks he wears out quickly, but that could be the prednisone)

I can't think of any more at the moment.

Mom has been cooking a lot for him because he's lost interest in regular dog food, but he's starting to turn down cooked meals now. Then he will go outside and eat grass. He's on Pepcid for upset stomach from the prednisone, but that doesn't seem to be helping much.

Even through all his symptoms, he's still showing signs of his old self. He still gets up and comes to the door when mom picks of his lead and he still loves going for walks. He will still stand in front of mom and wait for her to scratch his back, which he loves. Last night she told me that he was laying down with his paws straight out in front of him with his head up and his eyes bright and alert, like there was nothing wrong.

Here's a picture of Ozzy from this past Christmas. That's my little girl Chellie laying behind him.

Ozzy_Chellie.jpg

With the tick panel did they test for Valley Fever?

I don't know what all the tick panel tested for. I just assumed they tested for all tick borne diseases.

Edited by andyjg13

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

- Douglas Adams

Hi Andy, I'm glad your on here. The incooperation and run around your mom is getting from that clinic she had Ozzy's MRI done at is beyond intolerable. I had mentioned artemisen (sp?) to her as a possible supplemental treatment, but I just read it shouldn't be given within 20 days of radiation. Hopefully others on here more familiar with it can give more advice.

It's nice to see a picture of Chelly, she's a beautiful girl.

Valley Fever isn't a tick borne disease. It's fungal and specific to the southwest and California. Unless you know for sure where he raced and trained, one should test for it.

Sending lots of prayers.

He ran all his races in Ebro, FL, and retired to southern Alabama.

Thank you for the info.

- Douglas Adams

Valley Fever isn't a tick borne disease. It's fungal and specific to the southwest and California. Unless you know for sure where he raced and trained, one should test for it.

Sending lots of prayers.

Diane, would Valley Fever cause a tumor or what appears to be a tumor on the brain? There was something on the MRI, the question is is it actually a tumor, that is why she wants Dr. Couto to review the MRI.

Sending lots of prayers.

Diane, would Valley Fever cause a tumor or what appears to be a tumor on the brain? There was something on the MRI, the question is is it actually a tumor, that is why she wants Dr. Couto to review the MRI.

Or, could the fungal infection produce some sort of mass that would mimic a brain lesion on MRI?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Sending lots of prayers.

Or, could the fungal infection produce some sort of mass that would mimic a brain lesion on MRI?

That is what I am wondering. Although he did race at Ebro I don't think we know where he was prior to that. He could have picked up on the farm he came from.

It's nice to see a picture of Chelly, she's a beautiful girl.

And she is well aware of it! They spoiled her at the track long before she came to me.

- Douglas Adams

Along with the pepcid Ozzy should be taking Carafate (sucralfate)-- ideally 1 hour before meals and other medications. It's a tummy protector. Pred is really hard on tummies. Also, you can use prilosec rather than pepcid. I would run this by your vet.

Along with the pepcid Ozzy should be taking Carafate (sucralfate)-- ideally 1 hour before meals and other medications. It's a tummy protector. Pred is really hard on tummies. Also, you can use prilosec rather than pepcid. I would run this by your vet.

It may be Prilosec, I'm not sure. I get those two confused. I will pass on your recommendation for Carafate. Thank you.

- Douglas Adams

i just read your post about your greyhound, Ozzie. I am sure you are at your wits end! My Mac,who is a huge 90# dark brindle had a similar problem last May 15th (on his 6th birthday!) The first seizure started with tremors and his eyes were moving back and forth rapidly (known as ticking). The day of the seizure he became paralyzed on the left side and his head was turned to the side. My husband and I rushed him to an emergency clinic here in the Pittsburgh area. The Neurologist gave him an MRI immediately and diagnosed a stroke due to a blood clot in the brain and hypertension. Blood testing also showed an increase in his urine protein/creatinine. All other tests were normal. He stayed in the hospital for 3 days and when we brought him home he was still unable to walk on his own. In about 6 - 8 weeks he was about 95% recovered. And today we are glad to say that he is back to normal. He is on a daily BP medication and 1/2 baby aspirin.

I sincerely hope that you find out soon what is going on with Ozzie. But don't hesitate to have an MRI done...without that we would not have Mac today! I'll keep checking this post to get updates and wish you and Ozzie the best.

Babs ~

Heard today that the MRI was sent to Dr. Couto, so hopefully we're hear something before the end of the week. Either way, Ozzy will likely make a trip to Auburn University for treatment options. The two tumor possibilities we heard today were choroid plexus carcinoma or choroid plexus papilloma.

Hang in there Ozzy.

- Douglas Adams

Hope you get some news from Dr. Couto that you can work with. Lots of prayers for Ozzy and your family!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Ozzy goes to Auburn to see the neurologist tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

- Douglas Adams

There have been posts here about Manuka Honey from Wedderspoon Organics. This may help with his stomach upset. I actually bought some last week, but my hounds don't have any stomach issues right now so have not used it. I wish the best for your Mom's hound. Nan