Nuts About A Horse

Yesterday at a M&G there was a horse giving rides to little kids. My very laid back, hardly ever moves grey went nutso! He was pulling against the leash and super whining! He did not seem to be agressive, but like in his earlier life had been around horses. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen???

Guest LokisMom

Loki has a very strong reaction to horses. Not sure why but the handful of times he has been around one, he reacts a lot more than he does to dogs, cats, anything else we see.

I don't have any ideas as to why yours may react that way but have seen it before so you are not alone :)

Yesterday at a M&G there was a horse giving rides to little kids. My very laid back, hardly ever moves grey went nutso! He was pulling against the leash and super whining! He did not seem to be agressive, but like in his earlier life had been around horses. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen???

Biggest surprise of getting my Greyhound was her reaction to horses. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't own a horse whose pasture shared part of the fenceline with the dogs. Even after she adjusted to my horse she continued to do it with any horse she saw anywhere else. It is a similar though less dramatic version of her reaction to the lure at coursing & racing. Horses are the only creatures she has ever acted that way about when on leash. No cat, bunny or squirrel gets this level of reaction when she is leashed.

What caught me off guard the most, making her reaction to horses stand out so much more from anything else is her vocalizations. My girl is mostly quiet at home & basically a mute when we are out & about. To have her suddenly explode in a fit of whining & barking was a shock to say the least. :eek Needless to say, she is not my preferred M&G hound when our adoption group goes to the steeplechase or cross country jumping events. :lol

Guest greytgrandma

Hot Rod's reaction when I road my horse over to his house.he was in his fenced area. I was on the outside with my horse. I called him he came to the fence took one look and ran and hid in the garage :lol

Raven and Riley haven't yet met horses. Argus once met a mule and was absolutely terrified. He cowered and cringed behind me. When it reached down to sniff him I thought he was going to faint.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I also have horses, but my barn/paddocks/pasture is not within sight of the house.

I do oaccsaionally allow the horses up here on the lawn to graze.

Nixon's first experience with them was one of surprise and caution....but he did not bark or lunge at the fence.

Nixon02350.jpg

I have had him - on leash - in the paddocks a few times this winter and he was fine.

Neither horse nor hound was reactive in any way.

Jan201000750.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest sheila

Once while driving in a place that had many Amish in the community my grey became very excited when he saw a horse. He was barking and vocalizing and very wound up in the car. I just chalked it up to him seeing/smelling something very very different.

This topic also reminds me of the pic The Meeting of the Racers which I have in my LR

mor-web.jpg

I took Aston to my friend's house to run off-leash in her fenced backyard; she had two horses at the time, and instead of running at all, he went and stood with the herd with a big grin on his face until they chased him away. Then, he went back and stood with the herd.. :rolleyes: and so on, and so on. Ever since then, whenever he sees a horse out on the street (parade), in a trailer, etc., he WHINES AND WHINES and prances and cries, only stopping if he gets to stand by the horse, or if we drive far enough away that he can't see them anymore.

The only other time that he gets this worked up is if we pull up to a GH event and he sees his buddies.

I've chalked it up to him feeling a kinship with those other "giant dogs." :lol

Somewhere I have heard or read that some horse race tracks (in England maybe?) also have greyhound races. The memory is very vague and so it might even have been something I read in a novel. Anyone know anything about that?

june

Guest HoundyGirl

My first grey hated horses. I didn't know this until we went to an event where there were mini-ponies and greyhounds at a school to do some socializing with the kids. He didn't want to go near the horses. The leader of the mini-ponies group said he must've had some trauma with a horse. She wanted to work through it. I reluctantly agreed. Twenty seconds later, my guy had a hank of mini-pony mane hair in his mouth and came close to getting kicked. Thankfully, the mini-pony was therapy trained and did not kick. I certainly wouldn't have blamed him in this case. After that point on, whenever he saw a horse in the field he was very vocal about it. I never took him to any other events where horses were involved!

Guest KennelMom

Ours are mostly indifferent to horses. Sometimes there are horses in the pasture behind our house and they'll run the fence line a bit until they tire of it or I shoo them away from the fence (the dogs, not the horses).

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Once while driving in a place that had many Amish in the community my grey became very excited when he saw a horse. He was barking and vocalizing and very wound up in the car. I just chalked it up to him seeing/smelling something very very different.

This topic also reminds me of the pic The Meeting of the Racers which I have in my LR

mor-web.jpg

That is a great picture - Thanks for posting it!!

Grace is indifferent, just like she is with most non-greys.

Fenway is curious and terrified at the same time. :rolleyes: I took him to the barn with me a few times I had to bring the horses in from turnout. Just like Mr. Milan, I led the horse and Fenway into the barn together. This is Fen's prefered interaction wtih them. I let him off leash in the pasture next to a gentle old gelding and he would cautiously approach, until Joey moved or made noise, then he would run away. Wimp! :lol

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

My boy is fine with horses when they're Where They Should Be, and when they're not, he throws a barking fit. Grazing in a field? Cool. Trail riding on the C&O Canal? Fine. Pulling carriages in Gettysburg? UNAUTHORIZED!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest zombrie

Mira couldn't care less about horses. But that is her overall personality, nothing phases her.

Doolin on the other hand, was TERRIFIED of horses at first. He is starting to get used to them. I joke that he is afraid because he has never seen anything bigger than he is (he is a very big boy)

Guest Houndstown

Pre loves horses too! We live in the city limits, technically but this area used to be the county. As a result our neighborhood backs up to some properties where people have horses. Sometimes when we walk around the neighborhood you can see the horses in a field from one of the empty cul-de-sacs. Pre starts arching his back and whining (and he's not a whiner!). I think he sees another large, powerful animal and feels a kinship. That's what we like to think anyway.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Jayne only met horses once. We have some trails by our house where I take her walking sometimes. Riders sometimes use the trails as well. We met up with a couple once and she seemed mildly interested. We stood back and watched one horse napping at a bridge crossing a small stream. We needed to cross the bridge to get home, but didn't want to get too close and disturb the horse more. The other rider was kind enough to offer to let Jayne meet his horse, but I declined as I hadn't had her very long and didn't want to misjudge her behavior and cause a problem.

I love it when the horses and dogs get along! Hiro was terrified of the horses, Tank only liked them when they were running, Tractor barks at them to get them to run, Mojo is just terrified unless Tractor is there.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Renie loved horses. The first time she met them was when she was off-lead in our fields and someone had put a bunch of horses in there (sometimes travellers do so, without permission, but I can't remember if these were traveller's horses or not). She watched them from a distance for a while and then went up to them. They took off running and she ran the length of the field with them, clearly having the time of her life. She wasn't aggressive and didn't bother them, just ran along, and the horses weren't running away from her in a panic, they were just cantering. When they suddenly stopped and began to graze, she stopped dead with them, and looked completely bewildered as if she was saying 'but ... I thought we were having fun! What are you doing??? don't you want to run anymore?' :lol

Unfortunately her next encounter was not so fun. We were in the same field with different horses. It has a public footpath running through it and a horse was standing on the footpath in a place where it becomes fairly narrow. We continued along, approaching the horse, quietly and calmly. Renie was just walking quietly with me and didn't run up to the horse or do anything aggressive, though clearly she was interested and probably hoping for another run with the big guys. When we got to within twenty feet or so the horse came towards us looking at Renie and reared up and tried to stomp her!! Luckily I had a silent dog whistle with me, which I blew, and the horse was so startled it took off and ran away. Renie never looked at another horse, poor girl.

Somewhere I have heard or read that some horse race tracks (in England maybe?) also have greyhound races. The memory is very vague and so it might even have been something I read in a novel. Anyone know anything about that?

june

Yep, they have dogs and horses at Nottingham racecourse.

My boy is fine with horses when they're Where They Should Be, and when they're not, he throws a barking fit. Grazing in a field? Cool. Trail riding on the C&O Canal? Fine. Pulling carriages in Gettysburg? UNAUTHORIZED!

:spoot:lol :lol :lol

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop