She's So Submissive, She's Boring. Help!

Guest sillyrabbit

Guest sillyrabbit

About a month ago we adopted a 4 year old female greyhound. She adapted really quickly to life in the house and has never had an accident.

I understand that greyhounds are very mellow dogs, but I feel like I exist solely to feed her and pick her up crap on walks. She doesn't display any affection, occasionally she'll come up to us and we'll pet her, but then she decides she would rather be lying down on her bed.

She doesn't seem to understand the concept behind stuffies or toys. She enjoys chewing on bully sticks and pig ears, but she gives up really easily on any of those toys that require her to work to get the treats. I.e. kongs (we could fill it with steak and she wouldn't care if she had to work to get it), or toys that when you roll it the kibble comes out. She understands how to do it, and I've seen her do it, but if she noses it and it doesn't immediately dispense a treat, then she'll give up. Despite all this, she is food oriented. She loves her kibble and she even likes it as a treat when we're trying to bribe her to do things like get in the car or go up the stairs.

Oh and stairs. They're carpeted and soft. She hated them at first, we had to physically move her legs up for the first couple of days, but eventually she got the hang of it. But now at night when we go to bed and want to bring her into the bedroom with us, she won't come upstairs. We always take her out right before bed, so she's had her business all taken care of.

She doesn't respond to anything we do. If we call her and try to get her attention, she walks away. She won't walk through the doorway if we're standing near it. If she can see us, she won't go up the stairs. We have to hide around a corner. And for some reason she hates my boyfriends office. Refuses to go in. I think it's because it's right next to the stairs.

Despite her lack of interest in us, she does follow us from room to room. She seems to like being near us. But that's about it. I can't seem to engage her at all. When we leave in the morning she barks about 4 times and stands at the gate, staring at us leave, but when we come back home, she acts like we've inconvenienced her because we woke her up.

She lets us pet her and cuddle her, she's not head shy at all. But when we walk towards her, her head goes down.

She's a nice dog, and I feel horrible saying this... but she's boring, and I'm so frustrated. I feel like instead of a dog I have a really big cat.

Is there anything I can do to draw her out and engage her?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be patient and give her some time. Greyhounds take a while to adjust to home life. Some take 6 months to a year before they are totally settled in. The longer she is there the more her true personality will emerge.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Gee, we've just had another new-ish adopted expressing the same feelings.

Not sure why you describe her as "submissive." Nothing you describe is submissive behavior. It's pretty much normal Greyhound behavior.

As "JillysFullHouse" said, it takes a while for their true personality to emerge (and she should know!). My dog was still changing after a full YEAR. In fact last week he "roo'd" (howled) for the first time--and I've had him nearly four years.

He does not play. He makes almost no noise. His primary interests are eating, taking walks, and sleeping. He's a wonderful companion for ME. But I knew what I was getting into--and I'm a middle aged single gal who just wants companionship.

What was it that prompted you to adopt a Greyhound? And what was it about THAT Greyhound that made you say, "She's the one"? There must have been something about her you thought was special?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Had you met greyhounds before adopting yours? What reading did you do about the breed, and why did you decide you wanted a grey? What did you think they'd be like? Greyhounds ARE very cat-like, and that's a trait many of us love in them, their quiet demeanor and gentleness in the home. In many ways they don't act like "typical" dogs. Yours sounds pretty normal to me; what you describe isn't submissiveness, it's typical breed behavior. And yes her personality may well come out more -- but she's never going to be in your face for attention or wanting to play all the time.

Have you taken her someplace safe where she can run? There's nothing more beautiful to see than that. Given her the opportunity for a playdate with another grey or another safe dog or two? These might be things that would interest her -- running and chasing are what a greyhound does for fun. Doing a basic obedience class can also be a great bonding experience.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest sillyrabbit

Gee, we've just had another new-ish adopted expressing the same feelings.

Not sure why you describe her as "submissive." Nothing you describe is submissive behavior. It's pretty much normal Greyhound behavior.

As "JillysFullHouse" said, it takes a while for their true personality to emerge (and she should know!). My dog was still changing after a full YEAR. In fact last week he "roo'd" (howled) for the first time--and I've had him nearly four years.

He does not play. He makes almost no noise. His primary interests are eating, taking walks, and sleeping. He's a wonderful companion for ME. But I knew what I was getting into--and I'm a middle aged single gal who just wants companionship.

What was it that prompted you to adopt a Greyhound? And what was it about THAT Greyhound that made you say, "She's the one"? There must have been something about her you thought was special?

She seemed sweet when we first met her. And she still is. But we thought she would open up more because her foster Dad wasn't the best fit for her. He definitely comes from the Cesar Milan school of dog training, and she's very sensitive. She did not seem to like him at all.

Honestly, my boyfriend talked me into it. I was against getting a dog because we live in a townhouse and don't have a yard. But he had me do some reading and it seemed as though the breed would be a good fit for us. I knew that she was going to be a bit aloof, but I didn't realize that she would want nothing to do with us. She isn't much of a companion.

Had you met greyhounds before adopting yours? What reading did you do about the breed, and why did you decide you wanted a grey? What did you think they'd be like? Greyhounds ARE very cat-like, and that's a trait many of us love in them, their quiet demeanor and gentleness in the home. In many ways they don't act like "typical" dogs. Yours sounds pretty normal to me; what you describe isn't submissiveness, it's typical breed behavior. And yes her personality may well come out more -- but she's never going to be in your face for attention or wanting to play all the time.

Have you taken her someplace safe where she can run? There's nothing more beautiful to see than that. Given her the opportunity for a playdate with another grey or another safe dog or two? These might be things that would interest her -- running and chasing are what a greyhound does for fun. Doing a basic obedience class can also be a great bonding experience.

I don't want her to be a Lab. I just want her to acknowledge that I exist.

Every weekend so far we've taken her to my boyfriend's moms house where she can run around in a huge backyard. She really does seem to love that and it's a lovely thing to see her so happy.

To quote SillyRabbit, " She isn't much of a companion." :angryfire You haven't given her much of a chance with that attitude.

Have you read other postings in the Training and Behavior forum? There's plenty of folks who would love to have a dog that calm, one that isn't tearing up their house because of separation anxiety.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

True companionship means earning some trust. I don't think a month will do it. With each of my greyhounds they have taken some time to become the dogs they are today.

I tell friends of mine all the time that the biggest difference in the greyhounds and other dogs is that the greys truly make you earn that trust. It takes time and work. The bond is not instant with a greyhound. My lab will bond with who ever has the next hand with a cookie, but my greys will tread lightly.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

As you can see from GeorgeofNE's comment, this is a very common post to see here on Greytalk. First of all, Welcome. This is a terrific place to begin to understand your greyhound.

Here's just a few things that I can throw out. There are others here who are way more experienced with this breed than I.

1. If your greyhound raced, she was raised in a racing kennel. There, she was taught she had a job to do to: run. In between running, her job was to rest for the next time to run. It's very possible that she never had toys. That wasn't part of her job. So right now, she doesn't know what to do with them.

2. Going back to #1, remember, her job: eat, sleep, run, and do her business. That's pretty much what she's doing in your house right now, because that's all she's ever known to do. As JillysFullHouse and Georgeof NE said, give her time. Each dog is different and will come out of their shell at a different speed.

3. Following you from room to room and letting you initiate loving on her are good things. She follows you because she is curious and she wants to be near you. The affection will teach her that good things come from you and she will eventually look for it herself.

4. The walking away or not paying attention: do you know her kennel name, or did the group or you rename her? It's possible that she doesn't know that's her name yet. It took my newest dog about 3 weeks to realize that when I called Nedra, I was calling her.

I'll leave other advice for others to give. But, I agree with GeorgeofNE - greyhounds are mostly a low-key, low energy dog, and I love them for those traits. Turns out they were the perfect breed for me, too. :)

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

As with any other dog, you need to make yourself fun, with a greyhound that can be a bit harder sometimes since to them the running part is the most fun and they don't need you to participate in that for them to have fun.

My suggestion is to look up a dog training center in your area and see if there is a fun class for you to participate in. It can be as easy as basic obedience, but maybe she would enjoy an agility starting class or clicker training.

But find something you both will enjoy and will make you her center of the universe.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
but I didn't realize that she would want nothing to do with us.

Yet she follows you from room to room?

I think you're being a bit hard on a dog who's life has been turned upside down, inside out and turned on it's head.

Here's an idea for you to get a feeling how it is for this dog.

Hop on a plane to China, or some place you know nothing about, and do not speak the language.

Step off that plane and lets see how quickly you adjust?

I've had hounds that continue to change who they are, for their whole life. They evolve in home life just as we as humans evolve through out our life.

I have 10 greyhounds and their personalities range from totally laid back, happy to lay on a bed all day to let me out and play or I'm going to go nuts! It depends on the dog. Some of my dogs have come into my home and were comfortable from day 1 and others took more than a year to trust me enough to play with me. They are all very loving and revealed their true personalities at different times. If you take her to friends or family who have a yard and she loves to run, take a few stuffed animals with you. See if she's willing to chase them if you throw them. You may find she grabs them and runs like crazy. Some of mine will play with frisbee's or fetch tennis balls but it all took time. As someone else said, greyhounds take their dear sweet time when it comes to trusting people. Just be patient, you may find in the end you have a little girl like my first hound Emmy, she was a nut, loved basketballs and the such but was as independent as they come and it took her a long time to trust us.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

She doesn't seem to understand the concept behind stuffies or toys. She enjoys chewing on bully sticks and pig ears, but she gives up really easily on any of those toys that require her to work to get the treats.

Some dogs don't get into the treat-dispensing toys. Some, it just takes time and many demonstrations of how they work.

But now at night when we go to bed and want to bring her into the bedroom with us, she won't come upstairs. We always take her out right before bed, so she's had her business all taken care of.

If you want her to come upstairs at night, take her up with you. Finger hooked under her collar, "All the way up!", treat and praise at the top. If she won't move, take her up by moving one foot at a time like you did initially.

She doesn't respond to anything we do. If we call her and try to get her attention, she walks away.

Have you done any training exercises with her? She probably doesn't know you're talking to her. I start working on "Come!" while on the leash and/or when the dog is naturally walking toward me. (Extra careful with "Come" -- never use that word for anything except happy stuff!!!)

Is there anything I can do to draw her out and engage her?

Any clicker-training or other positive-methods-only training classes in your area? Might be a good experience for both of you.

I will say, many greyhounds are not "in your face," demanding, active dogs. Most of them don't do much, for most of the day. They sleep, they follow the people around a bit, do yard zoomies or play with a toy for 3-5 minutes 2-3 times a day, eat, go back to sleep.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

a month isn't long. may be a grey is not the dog for you. you stated your bf talked you in to it.

she may be bored too. may be she wants a companion or this simply isn't the right fit.

what you express about her actions seem normal to me.

i'm glad you came here for help but i'm not sure what to say.....I feel bad for her and for you.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

relax and give her some time to grow into her new life. everything is so new to her. please read the below. it might help to understand your dog a bit.

From the late. K. Gilley

"Of all breeds of dogs, the ex-racing Greyhound has never had to be responsible for anything in his life. His whole existence has been a dog-centered one. This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing

Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and every thing else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association?; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

In my "mobile abode," the Greyhounds each have several unique names, but they also have a single common name: it is Everybody. We continue to do things as a group, pack or as we are affectionately known in-house, by Kathleen's Husbandit, "The Thundering Herd."

Back to those who have not been permanently homed. Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him, isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go through walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But with your love and help, you can make it happen."

ETA: there's a possibility that your dog doesn't know how to play with toys. that may come in time

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest sillyrabbit

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But with your love and help, you can make it happen."

[/size][/color]

ETA: there's a possibility that your dog doesn't know how to play with toys. that may come in time

I understand what you're trying to say, but she doesn't have any problems like those. She's never been punished for anything because she's never done anything. We would love her to go on the furniture, but she won't do it. She doesn't seem to know how to jump, doesn't counter surf, doesn't get into the trash, doesn't have any separation anxiety aside from 3 or 4 barks when we first leave her. The only time she ever growled at me was when she was demolishing a pig ear and it had gotten to be the perfect size for her to choke on, so I tried to take it. She wasn't thrilled with that, and I don't blame her one bit.

And seriously? The social skills of a six year old human? Dogs are better trained than most children are.

I understand that, sillyrabbit. I posted that just to give you an idea of how different things must be for her. really, sometimes it takes a while. I thought the same thing when I first adopted Phoenix. He seemed really boring and I thought he hated me because he never did anything. After a few months he began to change, and nine years later, he's still changing. I honestly think that with some patience and lots of love, she'll blossom.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

And, maybe, just maybe, you have a very laid back dog. Nothing wrong with it. My first, Isis, never really plays. She never does anything wrong and in fact acts much, much older than she is. But I love her for it. We are completely and totally bonded. When I got a second greyhound, Carmen, they did play a bit and Carmen will play with me. They are two completely different dogs and I love it. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

You may just have the perfect, most relaxed dog around. Have you thought about a 2nd, more playful dog? One that you can go run with or play tug with? My Carmen is my "go to" playful dog and then my lab is my outside "go hiking" dog.

Good luck to you. By the way, what is your dogs name? Do you have any photos? How old is she?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

To quote SillyRabbit, " She isn't much of a companion." :angryfire You haven't given her much of a chance with that attitude.

Have you read other postings in the Training and Behavior forum? There's plenty of folks who would love to have a dog that calm, one that isn't tearing up their house because of separation anxiety.

Count me as one of them! When I signed up with my group, I wrote "high energy" as my choice for energy level.

Holy moses...when I think back on the nightmarish first year...I'd pay good money for that little "aloof" girl! (Well, not really, cause I love my George--and his "companionship" is just being with me--he's not a playmate, but he IS a companion).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I feel like instead of a dog I have a really big cat.

Ummm...you do!

Justin and I brainstomed about adopting a dog and considered various breeds for at least a year before we submitted our Greyhound adoption application. Once we met some volunteers and representatives with GPA-WI, they told us some of the following pieces of information:

* Greyhounds are known as 'The Cat of the Dog World'

* Greyhounds have never played with toys, and after introduction to toys, some may never even end up playing with them at all

* "If you've owned other breeds of dogs before, you'll think you've adopted a totally different species!" my now Meet & Greet partner told me when I first met her

* The 'settling in period' can take up to a year and you'll likely see a different personality in your dog roughly a year after living with you, compared to the dog you had on Day One

Because we knew this information going in, we snickered when Bernie seemed to sulk around the house, or when he only seemed interested in staying on his bed. No toys, no Kongs, nothing 'fun.' Wow, all those people were right, we thought!

We got Bernie in October 2010. This April will now be six months. I can tell you that I've already seen a difference in personality from when we first got him. Originally, we never heard a peep out of him; but he is a barker now. He also is crazy with squeaky toys - which he did not used to be.

Give it time, give it time, give it time! I guarantee that even within six months, you will see personality changes!!!

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest Lakota

Don't worry, I felt the same when I first adopted Lakota. It's now just over a year, and she has become quite outgoing. She now runs up to everyone she knows, seeks affection regularily (but she still only snuggles in bed at night - that took about 8 months), runs to the door to greet me. But, she is still laid back, spending lots of her day napping and doesn't get toys.

My advice, give her some time to be comfortable with you. She will open up and one day you will wonder what life was like before she came home.

I second (or third) the suggestions to do some active positive reinforcement training (clicker training is awesome) with her. It's a great way to engage with your dog. By doing this, she'll learn how to communicate with you, that engaging with you is a rewarding thing and over time, build a strong and trusting relationship with you. You'll also be interacting with her intensely and really start to see the ways she does interact come to really appreciate it. A formal class is great, but you can also totally do this on your own. I also can't emphasize enough that it's not uncommon at all for these guys to take a long time to show more overt aspects of their personality. It's like slowly peeling away the layers of an onion over the course of months and even years.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

She enjoys chewing on bully sticks and pig ears, but she gives up really easily on any of those toys that require her to work to get the treats. I.e. kongs (we could fill it with steak and she wouldn't care if she had to work to get it), or toys that when you roll it the kibble comes out. She understands how to do it, and I've seen her do it, but if she noses it and it doesn't immediately dispense a treat, then she'll give up.

Thanks for the flashback visual. :)

When I had a zillion fosters in Lubbock I had a buster ball where the treats would roll out. Not one of the greys ever would work with it past a couple of bats and if nothing fell out they were done. They would all, however happily follow Poodle up and down the hall en masse sharing in the spoils he extracted. It was hilarious. I'd fill the ball a couple of times and just sit back and laugh as they went back and forth.

Honestly, as much as I love greys I know to a degree where you are coming from. Almost none of mine have shown any interest in stuffies. Buck would do a "toss it in the air twice and be done" once in a while and Rex would do "greyhound fetch". I'd throw the toy, he would run to it, pick it up, drop it and trot off. Then I'd go fetch it.

Most of the many greys that have come through here have like Batmom said slept, followed me from room to room to sleep in the bed nearest me, enjoyed walks and zoomed a few minutes a day. They are just totally less interactive than this PITA terrier or Poodle which can be both good or dissapointing depending on your view.

I will say that while I know there are female greys that are total lovemuffins, I've just never met one -- the girls are just more distant and catlike in my experience...my foster girl has finally started to come out of her shell at the ripe old age of 10. ;)

Lke everyone else said a month isn't very long at all. Give it some time and as Batmom said maybe do some training -- dogs bond with their owners doing training. Good luck and keep us posted.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest missecho

Our hound Molly had no interest whatsoever in any sort of toy, she was NOT food motivated, spent most of her time sleeping in some other room than the one we were in, and in general was very cat-like. She still is but we now know how to pick up on her cues.

We taught her how to play with toys. It took awhile but now she has a collection of stuffies and goes and grabs one at any point in the day when she is very happy and wants to celebrate. One thing that took her awhile to catch on to: when I would tease her by saying something like "naughty dog" or something, she had no idea that I was only kidding.

I bet your dog is communicating with you--you just don't yet know how to interpret her sign language. For example, I now know that when Molly points her nose and then stands like a statute pointing in a certain direction during our walks, that means she wants to walk that way.

She often will turn her back end to people when we meet them in the street. Just the one's she doesn't like.

There are lots of things like that...

It is very rewarding to participate as your dog's personality is allowed to develop and shine through, and you learn to hear her voice.

My first greyhound was so withdrawn when I adopted him. He was shy and had fear issues which it doesn't sound like your girl has but in many ways acted very similarly towards us. It took him a long, long time to truly open up and become the dog he was meant to be. That being said he never was an in your face kind of dog in fact he barely acted like we existed much of the time, and he certainly never got out of bed when we got home, lol. He did show us that we meant a lot to him in the little things that he did and when he wanted attention we were always more then willing to oblige. We had a lot of people (non greyhound owners) question his disposition and wonder why we had him but I tell you he's been gone for over a year now and the void he left in this house was huge. Relationships take time to form, don't rush it and before you know it you wont know how you lived with out her.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest sillyrabbit

I bet your dog is communicating with you--you just don't yet know how to interpret her sign language. For example, I now know that when Molly points her nose and then stands like a statute pointing in a certain direction during our walks, that means she wants to walk that way.

Slowly learning her signals. When she makes monkey noises, paces and stands by the door or baby gate it means, "I have to take the worlds biggest poop. Take me out NOW!" And on walks when she starts sniffing in circles very intently it means that we better get the bag ready cause it's coming.

Speaking of bathroom breaks on the walks, she seems to get distracted easily. She'll start to squat and then change her mind. Sometimes she'll go on the first try, sometimes it will take her another block of intense sniffing and half squatting. Is this a normal greyhound thing?