Wobblers Syndrom

What did you do for him/her once the symptoms got bad?

My 10 yo was just diagnosed with possible wobblers....he's been slowing going "down hill" the last few year with vague gait and pain issues....now that he's older things are less vague and he's more and more uncomfortable...not responding well to traditional treatments nor accupuncture and homeopathy.

Depends on how much and how far you want to go. We had a Great Dane with Wobbler's. There is a decompression surgery that can be tried, though I don't know the actual success rate. You can also go the opposite route with a fusion, much like in humans.

I'm assuming your trying anti-inflammatories and doing light exercise - you might try to fing a swim therapy or water therapy place near you. The water takes the weight off the spine and supports the body so the muscles and nerves can function better. Keeping the nerves functioning and managing the pain seems to be key.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what can be done.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We've tried anti imflammatories - medical and natural - and tried to keep him going with some light exercise but he's too uncomfortable now and the gait is too bad for us to have him moving much. He's been essentially on "bedrest" for the last two weeks trying to get the pain under control and see if we can minimize the front leg limp that recently developed.

Haven't looked at swim therapy. There is a place here in town that does it, I'll ask the vet about it when she call to check on him tomorrow...though I'm reluctant to put him in the car much these days as it seems to really stress him out.

Guest moremoney

What did you do for him/her once the symptoms got bad?

My 10 yo was just diagnosed with possible wobblers....he's been slowing going "down hill" the last few year with vague gait and pain issues....now that he's older things are less vague and he's more and more uncomfortable...not responding well to traditional treatments nor accupuncture and homeopathy.

She was on Pred and I also did accupuncture. The accupuncture helped her a lot. I started it late in her diagnosis and I strongly believe that it add time to her life. If you have one in your area call and ask he/she questions.

We've been doing accupuncture since January...I'm actually a little disappointed with the results. Our other greyhound responded so well to it when she started having old age issues...nothing seems to be helping this guy. We did a round of Pred back in the fall and he got very short term relief from it...I've been hoping to find something that will work besides Pred but we're running out of options and the last couple weeks haven't been good for him so if today's accupuncture and the new meds don't do much I'll have to consider the steroids again.

Assume he's had an x-ray? Have you considered MRI?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He's been xrayed several time. No signs of arthritis or cancer. He's been tested over and over for Valley Fever as well as the symptoms fit and he's spent his whole life here in AZ but keeps coming up negative. We've done rounds of steroids, ATBs, NSAIDS, Herbals, Individual Homeopathic, accupuncture and he still keeps sliding and for the last couple weeks we haven't been able to get him as comfortable as I want to see him(though we were able to get him out of the distress he was feeling at one point so he does respond some to pain meds and accupuncture, just not as well as anyone would like to see).

We've discussed MRI but both vets I use feel it's probably not worth the stress he'd go through(and to be honest the expense involved). there's been consensus since fall that it's neurological and we've been treating it as such, though unfortunately not with great results.

Right before Maggie came to us, she had started having an issue with a back foot. When we got her, she was basically not using it much of the time. Nothing showed up in x-rays, exams, trying pred, etc. Her VF titers were only 1:2 (or is it 2:1?) Can never remember. My vet said too low to be causing any issue. Spoke to our adoption group and they suggested she see their vet. We went and he said he's seen dogs with titers like Maggie who have developed symptoms. Since nothing else seemed to help or explain what was going on, he wanted to start her on fluconazole. He said it could take two months to see results if her problem, in fact, was due to VF, Two months, almost to the day, Maggie's foot/leg was perfect and has been for the year since. Could it have been an injury that didn't show up in x-rays and tests or respond to other meds and healed itself in time? Sure - but it was about 3 months that she was having issues.

If there is no downside to trying the med, would your vet let you give it a try? Good luck.

I don't know if you have tried this or not, but when Sugar was having her severe spinal problems, one of the things that helped (for awhile) was an Adequan shot. Of course, acupuncture worked really well for her, too, so :dunno As I recall, it wasn't very expensive, and if it didn't help, I don't think it would hurt. Your vet would know if it was suitable for his condition.

I have no idea who Dr. Holland is but yes he's had several tick and VF panels run over the years(most recently in Nov). Results are consistently negative and titers remain consistent from test to test.

Blood work all looks great.

As for Adequan, we also had really good results with this with the older greyhound. Vets have indicated they don't feel it will help in this case as there is no sign of arthritis and the pain is throughout his spine(and thus all four legs are not affected) and not centralized in one location.

Anna, it is just CRAPPY that the Zigster is having these problems. No knowledge or experience here, but sending lots of gentle :grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Anna, it is just CRAPPY that the Zigster is having these problems. No knowledge or experience here, but sending lots of gentle :grouphug

Trust me, I totally agree, Ellen. He's had so few health problems over the years...until this vague stuff started showing up a couple years ago and even then it was mild. But since last fall he's been going downhill fast. He's so young...especially when my frame of reference is Lucy's 14.5 years. :(