Do You Feed Grains To Your Dog?

Guest manawatugal

Guest manawatugal

As a new greyhound owner I have been doing research on the best diet for my dog. With my adoption I got a free 15kg bag of Nutrience Active which I have been feeding morning only. I am a little concerned as the second and third ingredients after chicken are corn and rice and I am not sure that grains are even necessary or good for a dog. Cancer and skin allergies seem to be on the rise and maybe it can be attributed to what we feed our animals. Do any of you follow Dr Karen Becker holistic vet affiliated with Dr Mercola? I have been reading some of her posts and it really makes sense to me (apart from the annoying habit of called cats 'kitties'). I have also been looking at the raw food enthusiasts and looking at ingredients list of all the kibble and cooked dogrolls available here in NZ. Many of them contain cheap fillers and grains and I am finding it hard to find good products that don't use those. In saying that the raw food I feed my dog is human grade meat (grain free) mixed with fruit and veges, bone, organ meat etc and he loves it, he equally loves the kibble but when I have run out I will rethink his diet. I was talking to a greyhound owner yesterday and he said both his hounds got very sick (one died) after eating raw petfood ie not fit for human consumption as whatever nasty bug was in it (think diseased carcass) went straight to the brain of his dog and it couldn't be saved, therefore he is now only feeding cooked petfood. I suppose it makes you wonder what happens to the animals that get slaughtered that aren't in good condition - oh yes I know we'll sell it to the petfood industry!

I realise it is also for financial reasons we feed our pets certain foods but then surely if we feed them appropriate diets for their species we won't get serious medical problems later in life? or is that just fanciful thinking on my part? I can't get my head around feeding a dog kibble for the rest of it's life as it's been so processed and dry and surely they should be eating something more natural and wet. After all I don't feed my family cornflakes day in day out.

Would be interested to read some of your comments.

Cheers

Guest Swifthounds

I feed a prey model raw diet of 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ (up to half is liver, the rest is other organ - frequently kidney). No veggies, no grains, no carbs, and no kibble. Best decision I've ever made for my dogs.

The kibble we feed Bootsy is grain free, but he eats everything he can get his paws or nose on, so he gets his share of grains. :lol

Some of the treats we buy him contain grains as well. He's perfectly healthy.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I feed a prey model raw diet of 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ (up to half is liver, the rest is other organ - frequently kidney). No veggies, no grains, no carbs, and no kibble. Best decision I've ever made for my dogs.

Me too.

Treats with grains occasionally, but for regular training sessions I tend to use only meat as well just because we end up feeding a lot.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I used to feed Summer a grain-free kibble but she doesn't like it, even with add-ins. So now I feed her the kibble that I fed my previous dogs, a Canadian-made kibble called Techni-Cal (made by Royal Canin). I'd rather she ate SOMETHING than nothing. I'm still ponding the problem. Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild are both refused kibbles.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

My dogs get oatmeal everyday along with grits, rice, veggies, apples, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, toast with butter, yogurt, and beef chunks -- all human food, no kibble. I do give vitamin supplements, calcium, fish oil, and for the female, cranberry tablets. No grain problem here - they seem pretty healthy and happy.

If I have fosters I like to give a limited ingredient like Natural Balance venison and sweet potato which has worked well in the past.

I just find it interesting that by far the vast majority of people with the most years of dog experience and those that depend on dogs for thier livelyhood feed kibble -- and a ton of those feed Purina products Until Purina quit making Hi Pro it seemed to be the kibble of choice to mix in at the track and a favorite among high dollar gun dog breeders.

My dogs do fine on a kibble with grain and actually a dreaded corn based diet has sat with most better than lamb and rice. Kibble has a bit more substance than cornflakes. Here they get soaked kibble twice a day with a bit of canned 4-D meat tossed in and dry kibble out for grazing at all times. :blink: Commercial kibble is not ideal, but probably better in the big picture than my $1 value meals and what I scam in dead food at work. :blush I do not have the desire to have flesh thawing in my sink or fridge at all times.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Me too :) None of my dogs has had any problems with grains, but I don't feel they need them. I have not been able to convert my cats to raw, but they get grain free food as well. That said, all the critters get treats that have grains... and sugar, and other things they don't *need*, but these are treats, after all :lol

Guest greyhound9797

Me too :) None of my dogs has had any problems with grains, but I don't feel they need them. I have not been able to convert my cats to raw, but they get grain free food as well.

I'm on the raw wagon as well. It's very popular in Australia so you may want to give it a try.

Sandra in FL

For years I fed just kibble and my dogs were happy and healthy. After doing some research I really wanted to feed better. Now I continue to feed kibble, but also cook for my dogs. Usually it consists of human grade chicken with bones removed, about 1/8 organ meat, zucchini, carrots, and sometimes some apple. They get about 1/4 cooked and 3/4 kibble. I also add omega 3's to each meal. They love their food and lick the bowls (my dogs have never been picky eaters but this is a whole new level of enjoyment), but best is their coats are even softer, almost no dandruff except when blowing their coats, and they are calmer in stressful situations (meet n greets, nursing home visits, etc). Oh yeah, they also get an assortment of "toppers" (pumpkin, sardines, yogurt, etc) from time to time. I've considered feeding raw, but I can't get past the "yuck factor."

Although it takes time from my already busy life it is well worth it.

june

Edited by june

I dont know if my dog is allergic to grain or not ... but I suspect she is.

I feed her a grain free food- but once I ran out (well the petstore did)- and fed her one single meal of a Wellness. I thought it would be okay since I used it as a treat kibble often. It was probably half a cup and yet caused a very upset stomach for 48 hours! It was awful... so I have quit all grain treats and foods. No problems yet- and her fur has filled in nicely. wink.gif

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I used to feed top of the line crazy expensive dog food (Cal Nat, EVO, Fromm, Wellness, even raw) but one of my boys just plain wouldn't eat them. Now I feed everyone Eukanuba Adult Maintenance and I have not seen ANY negative changes in any of my dogs. No gas, normal stool, and we get compliments on their coats all the time.

The only pooch not on Eukanuba is my cocker spaniel who gets prescription IAMS F/P which is the ONLY thing he doesn't vomit from.

We feed Taste of the Wild. We went grain free when our angel Gypsy had digestive issues. Grains seemed to cause IBD flareups. We stayed grain free because everyone does so well on it. They do get some grains in treats and people food leftovers.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

I just find it interesting that by far the vast majority of people with the most years of dog experience and those that depend on dogs for thier livelyhood feed kibble -- and a ton of those feed Purina products Until Purina quit making Hi Pro it seemed to be the kibble of choice to mix in at the track and a favorite among high dollar gun dog breeders.

And it's only because they're choosing what is best for the long term health of the dog, not what's cheaper or easier. :rolleyes:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lovey_Hounds

We do feed food with grains in it and had No issues at all, we did try grain free when vegas and D.C came home to us but it didnt sit well with them.

Vegas and Chili both compete in lure coursing and do very well, vegas was one of the fastest greyhounds in western canada last year and chili isnt looking like she will be far behind him.

Some people choose to feed grains and some dont, do what works to best for your dog.

Guest Swifthounds

And it's only because they're choosing what is best for the long term health of the dog, not what's cheaper or easier. :rolleyes:

Uh-huh. :lol

I feed Taste of the Wild, which is a grain-free kibble. Raven is allergic to wheat, and I didn't like the look of the dogs' coats and general condition when I fed them foods with other grains such as corn, rice, oats and millet. We went through a number of them. I tried TOTW just for kicks. It wasn't any more expensive than what I was already feeding. What a difference! Their coats are soft and shiny, their body condition is great and they love it.

FWIW, I noticed a similar difference in my general condition when I followed their lead and went grain-free too.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest manawatugal

Great replies, thanks! yes I went grain free about 10 months ago myself and lost 9kg/20lbs and now don't have bloating or blood sugar issues. Getting back to dog food, I am able to source a grain free kibble here from Canada Orijen which I am sure you have all heard of so I might start the boy on that for breakfast and then continue with my raw food at night. The food I was given by adoption charity is ok and even though wheat free does have corn, rice and beet pulp which is a bit dubious according to my research. www.dogfoodanalysis.com does independent dog food reviews and they award 1 - 6 stars and Orijen gets 6 along with an explanation of why, really interesting stuff. My dog also gets bones on a regular basis and he especially likes brisket which is not too hard.

I suppose we all have different dogs, and budgets and beliefs so we can only keep our eye out to what new and improved products are out there and keep researching.

Guest kydie

I feed TOTW kibble,,, but my pack eats everything,, and I mean everything,,(other than the No No foods) my GSP that has IBD,, I monitor more closley, I go with the theory that dogs,, like bears,, are opportuniests in real life, they eat fruit, veggies, oatmeal,, raw hamburger,, cooked meats,, canned fish,, cheese,, yogurt,, eggs, brown rice,, pasta,, bread,, honey, and I have one that thinks his dish is not complet without a dash of parmesan cheese,, on top,, I think,, he thinks,,, he lives at the Olive garden :)

Edited by kydie

People and dogs eat various grains here at times, no problem at all.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I believe raw is best but not the only and do feed it when I can afford it and have the time. I don't stick to any one diet for long periods. My dogs have iron guts and are fit athletes and competitive amateur racers and show dogs. I'm not worried. Even when I feed a track style diet, I still supplement with raw bones for teeth.

Ironically, my experience is that the most knowledgeable and experienced owners are more likely to feed raw (not counting those who must feed dozens if not hundreds of dogs).

Some obvious advantages of raw- minimal poop, and what is there is easy to pick up and not very smelly; perfect teeth and dentals no longer needed for the life of the dog; excellent muscle tone and top coat, plus reduction of need to use parasite control/better immune system; stronger gut/less incidence of stomach upset.

Those are just MY experiences, and I'll never completely give up raw because those advantages are so huge to me- the dental factor ALONE makes raw worth it IMO. I've saved thousands by never needing to get a dental on a dog of my own. When I take in other peoples oldies, I have to spend a fortune doing so.

Yes, my dogs get grain treats and table scraps... and occasionally grain based kibble mixed with meat depending on $$$ and whatever other factors are coming into play at the time.

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brit1

I feed the meat raw and also feed crushed raw leafy veggies and soaked flaked oats (goat milk) plus seaweeds and herbs and other stuff. Juliette de Bairacli Levy is a famous Afghan breeder whose books are well respected. She raised the top show dogs with her diet that did include grains. I know there is much discussion about grains. I stick to her recommendations ( she recently passed away, over 90yo). Brit

Edited by brit1

Guest Houndstown

We make homemade dog food that either includes rice or macaroni noodles among other things like chicken and vegetable. Pre's on thyroid pills and he seems to need the filler to keep weight on him. In the end, I'd say it's whatever works best for your dog because not all greyhounds are the same, just like not all people are the same. Find the healthiest diet that works for you and go for it!

Guest KennelMom

they get them occasionally, but grains are far from a staple in their diet. Same for humans in the house. I keep gluten grains to a minimum in both canine and human diets. Rice is pretty innocuous I think...that tends to be what we feed, if we feed a grain.