What The Heck, Doolin?!

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

I think Doolin wants to be a vegetarian! We put him to the test because his eating habits are so strange. He prefers potatoes over hamburger, Green beans over wet dog food, a stuffie over chicken, and a popsicle over dog biskies. His favorite treats are carrots and horse poop.

Anyone else have a strange eater?!

Guest davidsl88

Don't know if meets your definition of strange, but both my boys love fresh steamed brocoli and ricotta cheese layered over their kibble, which I top off with chicken broth. They also enjoy each other's poop, which is tipping me right over the edge! I have become the 'pooh-whisperer' - I spend more time seeking out and picking up pooh than anything else... Good thing there's no horses around here!

Cottage cheese on kibble, baby carrots for snacks, ginger snaps instead of dog biscuits. Nothing strange here. :lol

Oh, and I almost forgot - Vanila ice Cream before bed.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Lakota

Don't know if meets your definition of strange, but both my boys love fresh steamed brocoli and ricotta cheese layered over their kibble, which I top off with chicken broth. They also enjoy each other's poop, which is tipping me right over the edge! I have become the 'pooh-whisperer' - I spend more time seeking out and picking up pooh than anything else... Good thing there's no horses around here!

um, I'll take steamed brocoli and ricotta on just about anything too.

Guest davidsl88

It makes me wonder... how do you even DISCOVER that your dog likes steamed broccoli and ricotta? :lol

Oh you know, the usual way... it's not easy with a newly homed doggie, is it? Depressed, lonely, afraid, won't eat, won't take treats, won't come out of the crate... Took a lot of time and patience and enough leftover food to build a few thousand composts to find just the right combination!! LOL!! The abslolute WORST day for us was after we'd finally coaxed Stormy from the basement and his crate to the kitchen (ugh! that only took 3 months!). Hub tried to bribe him with Cheerios and finally just placed the handful on his bed. Without moving or lifting his head, Stormy stretched his tongue out like an anteater, gluing them to his tongue until they were gone! Did you see the Dog Whisperer episode when Cesar was trying to help a greyhound owner feed her finicky girl? He took her back to his facility and tried EVERYTHING - except chicken liver (my secret weapon!). Too bad he couldn't hear me yelling at him through the T.V.! LOL!

My dogs will eat just about anything, but a good friend of mine has a grey that we jokingly refer to as a vegetarian. Jose loves pretty much all fruits and veggies. He stole a head of lettuce off the kitchen counter once, ignoring the bowl of chicken fingers right next to it. They have blackberry vines in the yard, and he picks his own blackberries when they are in season, refusing to come inside. His favorite is oranges, and he will eat them peel and all. He is the most laid back greyhound I have ever met, will let you do anything with him, but the only time he's ever growled at his owner was over an orange. Here's a video of him eating an entire squash (edited and condensed a bit as the whole process took a while).

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I envy all of you with hounds who will eat mostly anything and everything. That chapter was apparently missing from the retirement guides that each of my campers received :lol Jose did a very nice job with that squash, so careful with it :P Doolin, horse poop? :rolleyes:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest MnMDogs

Our dogs eat anything. Raw or cooked veggies (including broccoli and cauliflower and brussels sprouts), fruit, you name it. Greg actually beats out Mork since Greg will even eat lettuce leaves which Mork hasn't ever done. However, I don't think they would choose those over meat!

Guest 2dogs4cats

My dogs will eat just about anything, but a good friend of mine has a grey that we jokingly refer to as a vegetarian. Jose loves pretty much all fruits and veggies. He stole a head of lettuce off the kitchen counter once, ignoring the bowl of chicken fingers right next to it. They have blackberry vines in the yard, and he picks his own blackberries when they are in season, refusing to come inside. His favorite is oranges, and he will eat them peel and all. He is the most laid back greyhound I have ever met, will let you do anything with him, but the only time he's ever growled at his owner was over an orange. Here's a video of him eating an entire squash (edited and condensed a bit as the whole process took a while).

LOVE this video! Too cute!

My dogs love to see me drive into the yard with the horse trailer!

Mmmmm good!

:eek

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest zombrie

My dogs love to see me drive into the yard with the horse trailer!

Mmmmm good!

:eek

:lol I swear, it's like candy to them! Doolin completely ignores dog poop, but can't resist the horse's :rolleyes:

Doolin does NOT counter surf even though his nose is counter-level, but the carrot on the counter last night was too much temptation for him!

I'm glad I am not the only one with a strange eater. My other dogs are completely normal (well, with eating at least!)

So cute! He is being so gentle with it!

I read something by Patricia McConnell, possibly on her blog, about a dog who was so excited by sheep droppings that she actually had the dog's owner pick them up and use them as a reward for training. :o

Squash dog is very cute!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

It makes me wonder... how do you even DISCOVER that your dog likes steamed broccoli and ricotta? :lol

I discovered one of my girls loves broccoli because she was under my feet as I was cooking it. I finally gave her a piece and now I can't cook broccoli without her expecting her own serving! :eek All my girls love any kind of cheese with or without the broccoli! :ghplaybow

june

Guest Wasserbuffel

I gave Jayne a single flake from my Raisin Bran the other day. She took it gently in her teeth and carried it carefully to her bed. There she proceeded to pulverize it, but not eat a mote.

Guest Houndstown

We feed Pre chicken and broccoli a lot. He always eats the broccoli before the chicken. It's his favorite! He's not a vegetarian because he does like the meat, he just prefers broccoli and green beans. He's really just more of a health nut. He doesn't eat anything sweet . . . marshmellows, ice cream, candy corn . . . all of Justin's and now Tera's favorites. We like to think he watches his figure because he's pretty sure he's going to get called back into racing and wants to stay fit :lol:lol