Roaching

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

I've seen so many pictures of greyhounds roaching that I wonder if it's more common for greyhounds to roach than not roach. Sprinkles never roaches. He'll roll over on his back every now and then for tummy rubs, but he never sleeps in a roach position.

Is roaching tied to a dog's submissive personality? Or is it just like people, where some of us like to sleep on our back and some don't?

Guest Wasserbuffel
Or is it just like people, where some of us like to sleep on our back and some don't?

I think it's more along these lines. Some don't Sphinx when others find it quite comfortable, I can see roaching being the same way.

There is nothing submissive about my boy, and he was roaching the day I brought him home!

FYI, ALL breeds of dogs "roach." It's only Greyhound people, apparently, who call it something besides sleeping on their backs!

We have a photo album full of pictures of assorted dogs laying on their backs through the course of my life. It seems funnier when George does it though, since he's pretty bald and his legs are so skinny.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Bebe is the only one of mine that doesn't roach. She tries but she's a tiny little thing with a very narrow back and she just can't stay up there to save her life.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Jubilee251

I don't think it's tied to anything like submissiveness or a dog's personality. It's just not comfortable for some. Molly roaches like a crazy fool. Jet doesn't - my guess is that he's too big and clumsy. Every time he tries to flip on his back, he sneezes. :rolleyes:

Guest Shermanator

Sherman ALWAYS roached. Patton never could. He'd try, but never quite make it. :)

Miss Travel is very spooky and submissive, and does not roach.

Echo, on the other hand is always roaching, outside, on her bed, on the sofa, anywhere she can. :)

Angel is always roaching. Fast does from time to time. Freddie can't. He's just to dang big to roach, he's almost 100 pounds. He tries but he just can't his back legs up there.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Of the four I've owned, three have roached and one never did. Currently I have one who roaches on the sofa all the time but never on the people beds, and one who roaches on the people beds but never on the sofa!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Sahara and Coltrane never have roached. Sahara's tried a few times, but she tips over after a few seconds. I guess her balance isn't too good. :dunno Coltrane has never tried as far as I've seen, but we adopted him when he was 7. Atlas on the other hand, is always roaching.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest KsFrets

Lisa lives upsidedown, in fact she would probably eat roaching if she could figure out how. I've watched Maggie try, but she looses her balance after a few seconds and flops down on her side. Magnus is too dignified to flash his empty little fur baggies at the world, I've never even seen him try.

of the six hounds I've had only 2 have done an actual full on roach, 2 would do a sort of semi roach against the back of the couch, the other 2 never roached. The 2 of mine that did the full roaches were both of a little stockier build in the shoulders and hips than the others so maybe that has something to do with it.

There is nothing submissive about my boy, and he was roaching the day I brought him home!

FYI, ALL breeds of dogs "roach." It's only Greyhound people, apparently, who call it something besides sleeping on their backs!

We have a photo album full of pictures of assorted dogs laying on their backs through the course of my life. It seems funnier when George does it though, since he's pretty bald and his legs are so skinny.

Yup. Cats sleep on their backs also.

Of our 8 greyhounds, we have had some who do and some who don't. That's just life with dogs.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Aaron never had the balance to roach, but was always sphinx'ing. Mojo is always roaching but I have yet to see him sphinx. Miri, my little princess, does both like a pro. Isn't it amazing how different they all are? Makes life interesting.

It took Carl over a year to do it and even then he only does it on the couch since he can lean against it to prop himself up. I guess his back is too narrow to hold him up. He almost never goes into the Sphinx position. Claire still hasn't roached, but does a beautiful Sphinx with cute variations which include resting her head on a toy between her front legs!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest ShadedGrey

My pomeranian at home loves to roach ;]

And Becker has been roaching since day one of bringing him home. And boy, does that hunk of muscle move quickly when he hears me pick up the keys to go for a walk! Hahaha, I knew greyhounds were fast, but I didn't realize that applied to flipping over as well....

Guest tricolorhounds

In my home, the 4 racers do... the 2 non-racers don't. Gain spends his whole day/night upside down on the couch. Every time Bonks roaches I say "Nice roach Bonks... " he gets all flustered and rolls back over.

My first girlie didn't roach for over two years. Now every once in a while she will roach when she is laying on the bed with me, but seldom roaches anywhere else.

june