Demanding That I Go To Bed

Yup, you read that right. Little Dude, the 13 year old iggy, has recently become very demanding. Starting around 6:30 each evening he pesters me to go to bed. This begins with a "look" and escalates to him bouncing off the walls. When the gang goes out for last potty he's practically orgasmic with happiness that I'll finally go to bed. Once there he's out like a light. If I get out of bed 10-15 minutes later he's up and at it again.

I've tried ignoring him, playing with him, giving him a little hiney thump. I am now leashing him while I am in the living room trying to read or watch TV. He doesn't like it but at least is less restless.

It's been so bone-chilling cold (for these parts anyhow) and he's so scrawny, that we have not gone for walks.

How do I break him of this bad habit? He's deaf. What hand signals could I try?

006.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

How about the "three finger salute"? Just kidding. I have a grey that does the same thing. I just ignore him. Luckily he's a grey, not an iggie, so the energy level is not even comparable. The only think I could think of would be to give him some mental stimulation like sit/stay, or other commands that may mentally tire him out. I feel your pain.

Get a little iggy-sized snuggle sack or doughnut bed that you can move around to where you are in the evening, and put him in it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Get a little iggy-sized snuggle sack or doughnut bed that you can move around to where you are in the evening, and put him in it.

Can I sew him up in it up to his neck? :P

Actually, within 3 feet of my recliner are 2 dog beds and one of those is a donut-style in a Perla w/ extra blanket. Four feet away is the couch, and five feet away are 2 other dog beds.

He's got jammies or a sweater on so he's not cold.

How about the "three finger salute"? Just kidding. I have a grey that does the same thing. I just ignore him. Luckily he's a grey, not an iggie, so the energy level is not even comparable. The only think I could think of would be to give him some mental stimulation like sit/stay, or other commands that may mentally tire him out. I feel your pain.

He's got zero interest in toys. Likes treats but doesn't always want them.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

But a special new bed might distract him, at least for awhile. Worth a try :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

But a special new bed might distract him, at least for awhile. Worth a try :) .

Maybe I should try one of those beds that look like a cave. :lol

tiny hada siggy.png

My old dog used to come out of the bedroom and give me the evil eye every half hour or so when he wanted me to go to bed. I just ignored him, and eventually he gave up and slept in his bed next to my chair.

What would your guy do if you put him in the bedroom and closed the door? Let HIM go to bed.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest IrskasMom

Ducky, this is hilarious. You let that little Bugger tell you, when to go to Bed...hahahaha. Morty to stands there as to tell me it's time to go to Bed but then he dissapears to my Bedroom and goes to Bed by himself. I think it's funny . Does he go outside and run's when he goes for his last turnout?? :huh

BTW that little Bugger is adorable :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Edited by IrskasMom

Ours know what time we go to bed and never let us stay up late, after all we are seniors and they want us to stay healthy enough to cater to their every need.

One night our daughter and son in law stayed after our bedtime and Cody went over, stood in front of them and stared. Charlie and I were trying not to laugh but they asked what his problem was and we told them, so they left. From then on they would say, oh, it's getting close to Cody's bed time, let's go. They thought it was funny too.

my dogs will pester me to go to bed too. Only when they do it it's because they figure I've hogged the couch in the LR long enough and one or the other of them wants my spot. They start by pacing and sighing in front of me, and if that doesn't get me moving they start poking me with their cold noses.

Guest Hoolyghans

I have the opposite problem. Dogs don't sleep on the bed with us because there isn't enough room but they are allowed on the bed at other times.

During the week I get up about 90 min before husband does. As soon as my feet hit the floor, Miss Abba is in my spot.

On the weekend she'll rest her chin on my pillow and whiiiiinnnnnne because apparently I have used up my alloted bed time.

Yesterday I got up but shortly later found out work was closed due to snow. I went to go back to bed and got the most serious "You've GOT to be kidding me???" stink eye

She got the boot anyway violin.gif

Guest greybookends

Ducky I have no advice for you.

When I was a kid my dad was in the army and got stationed in S. Korea. We did not take our Papillion, Nixey (sp?) with us, she stayed with my grandparents who had a Chihuahua,Teenybit. Nixey told granddaddy when to go to bed and Teenybit told him when to get up. He said for 2 years he had no need for a clock! :lol

Guest kelli123

Can you Put Dude in bed by him self? Or does he then cry for you?

Our Pomeranian Wants me to go to be also when he is tired. Some times i go, and other times i put him to bed by him self and he is fine. I turn on the TV for him if he is in there Alone. Cover him up and sometimes as i said he is fine. By the way Dude is just a cute little muffin

You can do what I did with Jilly Bean. I got a snuggly ball bed, I set it on the couch next to me and she would crawl up there and lay down until it was time to go to bed. She would also jump up and follow me if I headed to the kitchen or the bathroom but resume her place on the sofa when I sat back down. I gave me some peace and quiet until bedtime.:rolleyes:

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm sorry, after seeing that sweet old face I think your only option is go to bed at 6:30 lol.gif

Agreed!

:P

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What would your guy do if you put him in the bedroom and closed the door? Let HIM go to bed.

Tried it. He won't stay in my bed if I'm not there. Once when he got stuck behind a closed door he scratched, scratched, scratched at it.

How about the "three finger salute"?

I confess to giving him a gentle thump on his hiney. :blush

Ducky, this is hilarious. You let that little Bugger tell you, when to go to Bed...hahahaha. Morty to stands there as to tell me it's time to go to Bed but then he dissapears to my Bedroom and goes to Bed by himself. I think it's funny . Does he go outside and run's when he goes for his last turnout?? :huh

BTW that little Bugger is adorable :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Very funny Erika! ^_^ I always walk out in the yard with him. For the most part he stopped licking from his poo dispense after I added pineapple juice to his meals. But given the opportunity and if I'm not close by, he does turn around and look at his poop as it comes out. :rolleyes:

It is cute when he comes running back into the house. One of his little dog coats flaps in the breeze like Superman's cape.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sorry, after seeing that sweet old face I think your only option is go to bed at 6:30 lol.gif

Agreed!

:P

Hey, this is a serious posting in Training & Behavior. :wife Why do I feel it's turning into a Cute & Funny?

Seriously though, he is quite stressed when he does this go-to-bed-now routine. Given that he has a partially collapsed trachea, he starts to wheeze and cough when he's too excited.

About an hour ago I gave him 1/4 of a melatonin tablet and he has been more relaxed. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so we'll see if a good walk helps him.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Barbara

I've never seen this behavior in my other dogs, but my grey Cúchulainn Allstun really is ready to go to bed at the end of the evening.

I have two dachshunds who are content to fall asleep in their beds or in the recliner next to me. Allstun has a big pillow in the living room that he lies down on.

In the bedroom, my bed is rather tall, so the dachsies don't sleep up there (I don't want them jumping off) and Allstun hasn't even thought about getting up there yet. So we have dog beds on the floor at the foot of my bed.

At the end of the evening, I say "Are you ready to go to bed?" and boy, is he! He will get up and zoom right back to the bedroom to lie down on his bed. The dachsies aren't so fixated; they'll sleep anywhere.

I don't really know how to address a dog who insists that you go to bed. Is he the boss? He may think he is, and just wants everyone in their proper place. I think the leashing is a good thing. He needs to know that you make the rules. But he's so sweet, I know it's tough to be firm with him!

I agree, poor little baby.. Get a TV in your room !! :lol

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

I have the opposite problem. Dogs don't sleep on the bed with us because there isn't enough room but they are allowed on the bed at other times.

During the week I get up about 90 min before husband does. As soon as my feet hit the floor, Miss Abba is in my spot.

On the weekend she'll rest her chin on my pillow and whiiiiinnnnnne because apparently I have used up my alloted bed time.

Yesterday I got up but shortly later found out work was closed due to snow. I went to go back to bed and got the most serious "You've GOT to be kidding me???" stink eye

She got the boot anyway violin.gif

:lol

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

All our hounds and iggys seem to have such similare stuff. I laugh everytime i read something like this

because I have one that is the exact same way. 8:30 is her bed time and of course it should be ours too. Barking, spinning, circling.Whats up with that?

Don;t these sight hounds understand they are not herding dogs and they dont get to push us people around?

I don't think they do. My little girl thinks its her mission in life to TELL me what she wants all the time.

She has a bark for every demand and i gotta say I'm getting pretty good at translating "grey hound"

Her toddler like behavior can drive me round the bend sometime.. when i'm not busy laughing..

deb

Edited by tysmom

Years ago when my sister-equivalent had iggies the little one was deaf as well. One day after ballet class I was sitting on the couch and Sharkey crawled into my lap, stuck her head in my leotard and then maneuvered her entire body in there (yes, I let her because I wanted to see what the silly girl was trying to do) stuck her head out and went promptly to sleep. For the next 8 or 9 nine years of her life, she crawled inside people's tops/sweaters, etc. It was soothing to her. Do you think that Little Dude would sleep, or at least relax if you let him do this (assuming you want to do it)? It is actually quite easy to deal with as they are so small. You just have to remember to sling an arm under your new "belly" when you get up!

We have a lot of pictures of several of us with our little alien baby in our tops. Some with head out, some without so it looks really alien.

Guest TBSFlame

Ours know what time we go to bed and never let us stay up late, after all we are seniors and they want us to stay healthy enough to cater to their every need.

One night our daughter and son in law stayed after our bedtime and Cody went over, stood in front of them and stared. Charlie and I were trying not to laugh but they asked what his problem was and we told them, so they left. From then on they would say, oh, it's getting close to Cody's bed time, let's go. They thought it was funny too.

:lol :lol :lol

I have one that will stand and bark at me when she wants to go to bed. lol. What stinkers they can be. :)

Years ago when my sister-equivalent had iggies the little one was deaf as well. One day after ballet class I was sitting on the couch and Sharkey crawled into my lap, stuck her head in my leotard and then maneuvered her entire body in there (yes, I let her because I wanted to see what the silly girl was trying to do) stuck her head out and went promptly to sleep. For the next 8 or 9 nine years of her life, she crawled inside people's tops/sweaters, etc. It was soothing to her. Do you think that Little Dude would sleep, or at least relax if you let him do this (assuming you want to do it)? It is actually quite easy to deal with as they are so small. You just have to remember to sling an arm under your new "belly" when you get up!

We have a lot of pictures of several of us with our little alien baby in our tops. Some with head out, some without so it looks really alien.

:lol :lol