Maryville Rumble*

Guest jcsperson

Guest jcsperson

Kristin Block posted on American Greyhounds that Maryville Rumble passed away suddenly and unexpectedly Saturday afternoon of unknown causes.

He was bred by John Mason of Garryowen, Ireland. After his first few trials, he was purchased by David Cahill, a Chicago builder who was originally from County Kerry. Cahill knew his Greyhounds---he had previously owned such greats as Rocking Ship*, Monalee Wonder*, and Monalee Pride. David Cahill passed away in 2005, but not before he got to see a dog of his run in one more Irish Derby final.

Despite being largely unknown and lightly raced, Maryville Rumble posted three wins, a third and a dead-heat second to get through to the 2003 Irish Derby final, one of six finalists from a starting field of 144. A slow starter, he ran third for most of the final behind Climate Control and Mustang Mega. It was a sensational race with Rumble closing in the stretch with every stride, but he ran out of track and had to settle for third. He made the final of the Irish St. Leger at Limerick, but was withdrawn with a minor injury. Shortly after the Irish Derby, he suffered an injury and was sent by owner David Cahill to rehab in Florida with his nephew Tim Cahill. Rumble never regained his best form and was retired to stud with Kristin Block in North Carolina.

He made an immediate impact at stud with pups from his first three U.S. litters making stakes finals. His top offspring was 2007 All-American Dreamy Blossom, winner of the $120,000 2007 Palm Beach Grand Classic. He was 9th in the 2009 U.S. Sire Standings and 7th as of September in the 2010 Sire Standings. He has more than 1400 offspring listed on Greyhound-data.

Yesterday afternoon his son RK's Big Bear won the Matinee Idol Stake at Derby Lane.

Edited by jcsperson

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I'm so sorry to hear this-- he was a stunning dog, and looked like a sweet one as well. I always hoped to meet him in person. He sired my Agnes'(Regall Rosario) August 2007 litter, one of whom, Tecumseh's Dream, is now Vers' Stella. Agnes and her daughter are both lovely ladies :) -- I know when I was checking GH-data that I thought it was a testimony to what a good racer she was that they tried for a litter with him. In any case, he had some beautiful pups and some good racers and 9 is certainly too young to go. My sympathy to those who knew him best.

Guest PhillyPups

My sympathies to Kristin and Henry Howe. What a tragic shock and loss to lose one so suddenly.

Run with the angels Rumble you are with the very very best ~

He was quite the striking hound.

Rest well dear Rumble...how fitting his son won a stakes race...perhaps in his honour.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So sorry to hear of his loss. I am blessed with a Rumble baby. My Dustin (E's Full House - May, 2008)) may not have been much of a racer, but he is just one of the sweetest dogs I have ever known..... we adore him and are so lucky to have him. Thanks for your legacy, Rumble.

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• 2 weeks later...

He was such a handsome hound and this is such a loss. As Mom2Shiloh said above, my Stella (Tecumseh's Dream) was one of his offspring with Regall Rosario, and she has the sweetest temperament.

Stella (and I) hope that the wind is always at your back and the ground soft beneath your feet, Maryville Rumble. Godspeed.