Does Your Grey Drink Much ?

Ruby doesn't drink any water throughout the day and I am wondering if anyone else has this issue? When we got her in the Summer I realized she rarely drank anything so on the advice of our vet, I started putting 2-3 cups of warm water on her kibble twice a day. She doesn't drink after exercising or if I purposely don't put the water on her meal. I always have fresh water for her outside and in the house, have tried changing her water dish to a bucket as suggested by the adoption group and take her to it after walks.She knows where the water is both inside and out so that is not the problem.

She does have S.A. so if I have left her for more than an hour or so, and she has drooled buckets all over her feet, she will occasionally go out and drink a sip or two. I worry about her getting UTI's if she doesn't drink enough. Is this normal?

I forgot to add that when we got her, the vet said her kidney function was a little low so we are watching that.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

I have actually measured how much my dog drinks because the vet wondered. He drinks EXACTLY 2 cups. That is WAY, WAY less than normal, but his blood and urine are all fine, so...

Make sure your vet is familiar with normal greyhound chemistry values. "Low" kidney function may not be accurate if your vet isn't aware that Greyhounds often have test results that would be considered abnormal for other breeds.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest LindsaySF

I don't think Honey drinks enough water, so I add it to her food. The only time I have actually witnessed her drinking water on her own is after zoomies or a walk in hot weather. She's not dehydrated with the water added to her food, so I just keep doing that. She's a bit strange. If adding water to your dog's food works, I would just keep it up. :)

Guest Stripeyfan

Try pinching the skin on the back of her neck. Does it take a long time to flatten out again? If so, she could be dehydrated, but if it springs back, she's fine. Also, keep an eye on her urine - unless it's a dark orangey colour she's probably ok. Kelly only has a few mouthfuls of water a day because he gets most of the water he needs from his food (homecooked chicken/rice rather than dry food) - it used to worry me but I keep an eye on his neck skin/urine as above so I know he's not dehydrated!

Edited 'cuz I can't spell!

Edited by Stripeyfan

some dogs are drinkers, some not...and that seems to go for all breeds. my friend's corgi hardly drinks at all(only 2.5 yrs and really bad tarter)! i have no idea of how much mine drink, especially since they will use the toilet bowl(it's colder). i clean it daily and have never had any problems over the past 33 years of using that as the water fountain. i do leave out a bowl of water(4 qt.) as well and when they are out in the yard, water there too. generally i refresh the water, i always make sure there is an ample amount of it.

Guest KsFrets

I fill up a 2 gallon bucket every morning. Even in the winter, they drink most of it by evening. It does support 4 dogs and two cats. Once one takes a drink, the line forms and they all have to have some.

Guest Sunset123

Arrisa doesn't drink much if she doesn't have to. I think she's too lazy to get up and go to her bowl if there's no food involved! If she happens to be in the kitchen she'll stop for a few slurps. If she's been active she does drink more.

When I started adding water to her food her skin got less flaky. It seems to work fine this way.

when I had a dog that went on a 'water strike' for no reason that I could find I started tossing a handful of kibble into the water bowl. I did this I think twice and he decided that drinking water was an OK thing again.

Guest sophiesmum

Its funny you should ask that, I had never really noticed that Sophie doesnt drink much during the day. She tends to have a big drink in the morning and one in the afternoon and a few slurps before bed, and I didnt think much of it.

The last time we were at the vet (for vaccinations) the vet asked me "Does she drink much?" I replied that I dont have much to compare her too, as shes my first dog. He then told me that Greyhounds have evolved the drink less than their other doggie counterparts. Aparently (according my vet) Greyhounds need much less water than other dogs as their composition has adjusted to the lack of water they consume. He seemed pretty pleased with himself for remembering this from vet school.

I asked him if, therefore, they are more prone to UTIs and he said that the rate of UTIs was about the same as any other breed.

Im not sure if this is really fact, Im sure those with much more grey experience here and testify or not, but thats my vets view.

No, mine drinks very little in Winter but I do add water to the kibble and, after she's cleaned the bowl put another half cupful of dry down for her to scrunch up. They often feel deprived if they can't scrunch things up.

I'm also paranoid about Kidney disease, having lost 3 to it over many years, so knowing that Greys concentrate their urine more I figure I'd rather have them not dehydrate from too little.

Peggy will often cross streams on a summer walk without taking a sip, whereas I need some water,

If the dog isn't dehydrated, I wouldn't worry about it. You don't want to push a big volume in the stomach at one time; let the dog decide how much to drink.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlingDogs

Dory drinks surpirisingly a lot- Probably about 4 cups a day. I add half a cup of warm water to each of her 2 meals, but she always has a big drink after.

My oldest girl is really picky about her water. If she has a choice she wants to be the first to drink out of the bowl and if the water isn't to her liking she will just walk away. I was concerned that she wasn't getting enough and started adding water to her food. Now I add water to the food for all my girls. They do still drink water, but of course, not as much. The oldest girl is still picky about her water but now I don't worry that she isn't getting enough. B)

june

Bella usually only drinks water at home. We have a 3-qt bowl (plus another small bowl in her crate) and we usually fill it every other day or so. We just spent the weekend at my parents' house - they have 4 dogs and always have water available. I only saw Bella drink from it once, and once from a bowl I had in the bedroom.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest Sunset123

The only time I really worry about the water drinking is when Arrisa has been sick with really bad diarrhea. She loves Pedialyte, so even when her stomach is upset I can get her to drink a whole bowl of water by adding some Pedialyte to it. I keep single-serving Tetrapaks of it in the house just in case!

I never worried much about how much he drinks,,, as there are water dishs inside and out,, I have 2 (non-greys) that are really really big drinkers,,, the grey and the old chow are not, I do put large blocks of ice in the dishes twice a day,,, if they drink they drink,,, if they are ill that is a different story... otherwise.... I don't worry :)

I add water to Enzo's food to keep him from horking while he eats. He also drinks during to day - but I have a very hard time knowing if he's actually getting any water since he gets most of it on the floor/adjacent counter. Maybe I should try a bucket lol. He is the most hilarious thing to watch drink :eek:lol I check his neck skin occasionally and feel his gums so I know he's not dehydrated however.

I have no idea how much water Ellie drinks since most of it winds up on the floor. I do know she went through a period of real dehydration that caused/ was caused by all sorts of things and she's doing much better now that she's drinking more.

As someone said early in the thread, pinch the skin over her shoulders - if it springs back to normal, she's good to go.