Antibiotic Before A Dental

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

What would you say the most commonly used antibiotic used on a hound before they have a dental?

Like if a dog had a really nasty mouth and they wanted to clear it up before the dental?

I know in humans my dentist puts me on Amox for like 10 days before I have any major dental work done. But not sure if it was the same with dogs.

After the dental, for dogs, I'm used to having Clavamox or Clindamycin, can't recall which one. But I recall that those two tend to be a bit more harsh on the stomach.

Guest Energy11

My former vet/employer, says Amoxicillin, 500 mg, twice a day, for seven to ten days.

The vet here, says Keflex, same dosage, same duration. I like the Amoxi, myself.

I GIVE ALL my antibiotics with a Pepcid AC, which helps the stomach irritation!

Good Luck!

I'm not sure about before a dental, but my dogs have almost always been prescribed Antirobe (clindamycin) afterwards.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I think it might have been the clindamycin that some of my hounds have had a bit of stomach upset from.

Thanks for the suggestions, it's looking like pretty much any of the routinely used antibiotic would work.

I'll call my vet this morning and see what they suggest.

I'd probably go with Clavamox. Usually easy on the stomach, too, but YMMV.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We used amoxy in the kennel. 500 mg.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I just had one vet give me amoxicillin and another give me clavamox, both for dentals.

I was just having a discussion w/ our director this morning that it seems like the vets are prescribing amoxicillin more than they used to. We sort of went through a period

where they seemed to not give it very much, but we've had several dogs at several different vets get it lately.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

my vet has never given or even recommended any antibiotic before or after a dental. Perhaps because none of the dogs teeth were so terrible to warrant it??

My vet does Clindamycin (Antirobe). If the mouth is really really yucky, he asks them to start 3 days before the dental

& do a 10 day course. Personally, I won't give it without doing Pepsid first; just because I had to premed for a dental

cleaning myself after having knee surgery. It KILLED my stomach. I took it one hour before my aptmt & was sick the whole day.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Our vet normally does them after the dental if there have been extractions, but not before unless the teeth are really scummy.

Maddy got them because she'd split her gum open and he did a dental while he fixed it. Molly has horrid teeth even though she gets a dental almost every year and we brush nightly. She gets bacteria built up around her teeth, so we did antibiotics for a couple of days before just to be safe.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

My vet has used Amoxicillin and Clindamycin. Clindamycin is apparently good for bone issues.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)