Any One Use Accupuncture For Their Hounds?

Guest DoofBert

Guest DoofBert

Our vet called to ask if we'd be interested in doggy acupunture for pain relief. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with doggy accupuncture? What was your experience? Did it help? How long were the sessions?

Edited by DoofBert

I had Shadow doing acupuncture for the last couple years of his life and it was *amazing*! He had problems in his low back from a fall in the yard and had some pain and mobility issues. We went every other week and you could see the difference from when we came in and when we left. He was a new dog! I fully believe acupuncture kept him more comfortable than anything else and he loved it.

When we adopted Pretty Girl earlier this year we could see right away that she has arthritis issues, so I tried acupuncture for her and it didn't work at all. She hated going and was terrified. She'd freeze up and shake the whole time - it ended up doing more harm than good for her.

So yes, I really do believe in acupuncture, but I think its effectiveness will depend on the dog.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

I used it with my beloved Beansy after she had her stroke and it seemed pretty good. I know it worked for me when i broke my arm, but didn't seem to work with my migraines. I agree that it's it's efficacy depends on the situation and the dog.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My bridge angel, Margo had accupuncture for a bad back.

Her back was bad at the neck, middle & herniated disc at lumbar area. She was 10 when this happened. Was a fairly high risk for bleeding( Von W's) surgery was not an option

She did fine with accupuncture. At 1st we went every week, than every 2 weeks, than once a month. She did very well with this treatment & made it until 3 weeks shy of her 14th birthday when I lost her to a series of strokes.

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

I'm interested in this as well. Emily has lumbosacral stenosis, and the orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed her recommended trying acupuncture.

When we adopted Pretty Girl earlier this year we could see right away that she has arthritis issues, so I tried acupuncture for her and it didn't work at all. She hated going and was terrified. She'd freeze up and shake the whole time - it ended up doing more harm than good for her.

So yes, I really do believe in acupuncture, but I think its effectiveness will depend on the dog.

Does Pretty Girl normally get nervous at the vet? My concern with taking Emily to an acupuncturist is that she gets really nervous at the regular vet and I'm worried she wouldn't settle down enough for the acupuncture to do any good.

Edited by mhall

Both my boys are less than relaxed with the acupuncture procedure, but it helps them both a whole lot anyway! :lol Has for two years.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I had my vet do it over a series of sessions for Beth when she had a sore neck ... it seemed to help, though it's hard to tell since it seemed just to be a muscular issue that would have gotten better anyway. But I'll definitely do it again if and when she has any need for it. She yelped once or twice when she moved a little and a needle poked her the wrong way, but was otherwise very relaxed (the vet was giving her a nice neck massage at the same time, and you could see her close her eyes and lean into it....).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest 4rooers

I've used acupuncture for 4 of my 5 greys. It definitely helped mine. I have on acupuncture vet that comes to the house for my homebody dogs and one at the vet practice I use. Ozzie lived at least 6 months longer because of the relief he got.Oswald has LS and acupuncture and herbal treatments keep him happy and running. Good luck!

Kim

I'm interested in this as well. Emily has lumbosacral stenosis, and the orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed her recommended trying acupuncture.

Does Pretty Girl normally get nervous at the vet? My concern with taking Emily to an acupuncturist is that she gets really nervous at the regular vet and I'm worried she wouldn't settle down enough for the acupuncture to do any good.

Pretty Girl gets nervous at the vet and was nervous at the acupuncture vet. Shadow, on the other hand, was *terrified* at the regular vet and loved to go to the acupuncture vet. He knew only good things happened there so he was always happy to go :lol

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

We have used it on Beau, Teddy and Elsie.

Did it help? Dunno. It didn't hurt and I guess there seemed to be some relief. But, it does take 3-5 times before there is any difference and sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

It's so hard to tell if the acupuncture is helping or the passage of time.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

A friend of mine uses it frequently on all her old hounds with back issues. It definitely has helped with their mobility and probably extended their lives. I should say in combination with chiro.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest boondog

Dillon has acupuncture for spinal arthritis. It has been nothing short of amazing. She needs no pain medication, she just gets Trixsyn supplement. The sessions last about an hour. When she first started, she went once a month. Now I only take her when I notice her limping slightly (every few months). Jersey is going next week since he was just diagnosed with LS. I hope acupuncture in combination with Depo-Medrol injections helps him live a long, pain-free life.

BTW, I was a complete and total skeptic in the beginning.

I was at gathering about 2 years ago & this lady who did accupuncture did a demonstration on a labrador who was visibly in pain...within seconds of the procedure, the lab stopped holding her leg up & was actually walking & trotting. I've never used it before but I hear its wonderful for both humans & pets.

Here's our experience:

Asta gets regular acupuncture treatments for chronic spinal and hip pain (suspected LS + a bit of arthritis). Last year at this time, and for several months after, she had limited mobility. Pain meds were effective at first but later stopped working as well, and she just wouldn't improve despite lots of focused care and severely restricted activity. Adding weekly acupuncture to the mix led to clear improvement by the second treatment (she felt better for about a day after treatment), and by the third treatment she started feeling better for longer and longer stretches in between treatments. She got off all pain meds after a couple of months and for the past several months has been doing biweekly acupuncture. She's having some other issues (seizures) now, unfortunately, but I wouldn't stop her acupuncture for anything. In fact, the acu vet is now adding in needle points to help with the other issue.

Also, Asta is very nervous at the regular vet's office. She was the same the first time at the acu vet's, then less so as time went on. We just had an appointment today, and she practically led ME into the office and then stood there very happily through her treatment. She was so calm that we briefly mentioned how far she'd come. I love the evening/night after acupuncture for Asta because she sleeps very, very deeply.

I've had acupuncture myself, too, and loved it. It helped me without question (but it didn't work for migraines, as robinw said above). I always fell asleep during treatment and would leave the office feeling like a million bucks. I gave it up, though, when Asta's need for it took hold. Can't afford it for me anymore!

Good luck!!

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Coming in late, but my Dandi has had regular acupuncture treatments for > a year. I see a big difference in his back pain and mobility. If there's more than 2 weeks between sessions, he gets unhappy. Each session takes about 1/2 hr or less. She keeps the needles in for 12 minutes. She varies the needle placement according to her exam that day.

Dandi absolutely adores his acupuncture vet, and once the needles are in, he relaxes and lies down.

I think it's a great alternative to traditional medicine, many of which Dandi can't take because of GI issues.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg