Beth Is Vomiting

Hi folks, could use some advice/reassurance to get me through the night.

Beth is evidently sick somehow. She seemed pretty normal in the early morning, pooped, and she ate her breakfast, maybe not so enthusiastically (she is an eager eater normally), and seemed a little subdued during the morning (more than greyhound-usual). This evening, she had a small poop on our walk, less than usual, and didn't seem to want her dinner, though I eventually coaxed her to eat it. But about half an hour later she regurgitated a portion of it, and just now, several hours later, vomited up more. Until she got up to vomit she was resting quietly, as she'd usually do in the evening. I also noticed that she must have vomited or regurgitated last night or earlier today and eaten it (I saw a stain on the bedcovers). We walked some more about two hours ago and she was interested in her surroundings and behaved normally but still didn't poop any more.

I don't see the signs of bloat . . . nor do I think she's eaten any non-digestible objects (she's crated when I'm out). I did feed her raw last night, which I do a couple of times a week and she usually does fine with (loose poop if any problem, never vomiting). I did give her some steak that, though I'd just thawed it, smelled a little bit iffy to me.

I called my vet's emergency coverage -- unfortunately not my regular vet this week but another clinic. They just said to withhold food, give her a little water, and take her in in the morning if she doesn't seem fully recovered. That was before this most recent vomiting.

I'm definitely going to take her in, but does it sound like it's OK to wait until morning? :(

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeddysMom

I would just be concerned about her becomming dehydrated if she is not drinking anything and has thrown up everything in her stomach. Is she drinking any water at all and if so, is she keeping it down? Also can you take her temp, that might help determine if the evet is necessary. I am just thinking of pancreatits and she would probably get a temp pretty quickly.

I wouldn't worry just yet. If she keeps puking even though her stomach is empty, then your concern should probably elevate.

Take her temp. Normal for greyhounds is up to 102. If it's above that you might want to take her in.

If she were mine, I'd give her a pepcid and make sure she's drinking water and hope for a restful night.

Dogs' guts can usually handle meat that is a little bit iffy - but that steak may be your culprit.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

She doesn't drink that much generally, but I'm putting broth in water and she will drink that (just did a little so far).

I don't have a dog thermometer :( ... just checked and she doesn't feel especially hot to me.

Guest TeddysMom

I think as long as she is keeping some fluid down and doesn't throw it up then you may be safe in holding off until morning. I know you are going to have a long night worrying but try at least to get some rest. Hugs and good wishes to you and Beth.

Guest Adrianne

Sending more good thoughts for Beth. I hope you both have a restful night and that she feels better in the morning.

ETA: Oh goodness, just saw that she's vomited again. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Edited by Adrianne

Hopefully it's just a bug or the meat that you mentioned. Feel better soon Beth.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Well I'm home ... so far it seems to be just the $300+ upset stomach. Pancreatitis test was negative, CBC greyhound-normal, her abdomen wasn't tender. She pooped after we got home, too. But they (husband-wife vet team, and they were grey-savvy!) gave her a shot of Cerenia, so that should stop the vomiting. They told me to fast her until about midday tomorrow, then start introducing small amounts of food.

I'll update tomorrow.... she drank some water I offered to her and is resting on my bed. My sweet Beth, even feeling lousy and at a strange vet in the middle of the night, she was very interested in being petted by the new people.... :wub:

Glad to hear it was something simple!

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest Adrianne

Still thinking about y'all. How sweet Beth must be to want to greet people even when she's feeling under the weather.

ETA: If it was the meat, she may feel poorly for a day or two. Years ago, hubby & I helped a friend paint a house to get it ready for his mother to move in. We worked all day one weekend and got a pizza while we were there. What we didn't eat sat in the box on the counter, and we forgot to take it with us that evening when we left. Three or four days later we returned to finish our work, saw the pizza still sitting on the counter, and took it with us that evening to put in our trash. Well, Wilbur decided to do the doggie version of dumpster diving, something he'd never done before. He got that pizza out and ate every last crumb of the leftover pizza, complete with pepperoni and sausage. For about two days, he felt really lousy, but he didn't suffer any long term ill effects. He didn't, however, ever get in the trash again.

Edited by Adrianne

Thanks everybody.

Morning update: No more vomiting during the night, she mostly slept quietly on my bed. At one point in the early morning she started panting and I was worried, but I think she may have just been hot -- I'd turned up the heat a little while before because I was chilly, and our bodies were pressed together. At any rate, when I turned the heat down and opened a door to a draftier room, she stopped panting and didn't start again. She was doing some lip-licking with the panting, though, so it may have been tummy stuff.

This morning she seems quite "low" and had a small amount (all that's in her, I'm sure) of liquid diarrhea when we went outside. I guess that's not surprising if it's either a bug or the meat, huh? I have a call in to my regular vet to find out if I should just take her in this afternoon or leave her there this morning (I have to go teach).

Edited by PrairieProf

It may take another 24 hours for this "bug" to work its way out of her system. Hopefully that's all it is. Sending healing white light, prayers and hugs for Beth and Mom. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug:hope :hope :hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thanks everybody.

Morning update: No more vomiting during the night, she mostly slept quietly on my bed. At one point in the early morning she started panting and I was worried, but I think she may have just been hot -- I'd turned up the heat a little while before because I was chilly, and our bodies were pressed together. At any rate, when I turned the heat down and opened a door to a draftier room, she stopped panting and didn't start again. She was doing some lip-licking with the panting, though, so it may have been tummy stuff.

This morning she seems quite "low" and had a small amount (all that's in her, I'm sure) of liquid diarrhea when we went outside. I guess that's not surprising if it's either a bug or the meat, huh? I have a call in to my regular vet to find out if I should just take her in this afternoon or leave her there this morning (I have to go teach).

Glad to hear she is feeling better. Last week my Dustin had bloody diarreah - the vet said that she was seeing a lot of stomach bugs lately.....Hopefully something that simple. They did suggest pedialite.....as well as the antibiotics and stomach coating meds....though if it was bad meat, I don't think the antibiotics are useful.

Best of luck!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest TeddysMom

I'm so glad to hear that the vet was able to give her a shot to stop the vomiting. I will be thinking of you both today and praying the whatever the problem is will be short lived.

Beth is spending the day at the vet -- he and I thought it was a good idea. He's going to complete the bloodwork that was done last night, give her fluids, and start her on antibiotics. I'm relieved someone is keeping an eye on her -- she can apparently rest well even there (she is so social and likes it there, doesn't seem to find it stressful!). He thinks it's probably just a bug or the meat, but that "she needs some help" today.

He is definitely anti-raw feeding though, which I knew . . . he said that there's a danger of getting salmonella from raw chicken, and that if dogs get a serious salmonella infection "they" recommend euthanizing them because it's so hard to treat. :eek Anyone heard anything like that?!? I know he's trying to "scare me straight" and it makes me nervous; I really don't think it's the chicken quarter she had with the steak that made Beth sick, as she's had those lots of times before and even had one from the same pack before this. But I only raw feed her a couple of times a week and it's not something I really have to do, though I think it's good for her and she likes it.