Deafness

Guest greytfurkidsmom

Guest greytfurkidsmom

duchess ("astute"), my 12 1/2 year old brood mama, has started losing her hearing. she is my 5th greyhound, although there are only 3 at the moment, & the first that ever starting having hearing problems. nothing else is wrong with her & she doesn't seem to notice it much. in fact, it is a little nicer because she can no longer hear the 21-gun salutes from the cemetery behind the house, so she doesn't get nervous from that anymore! i tried looking on-line & there was next to nothing on greyhounds & deafness. having lost two to cancers (one day we will beat osteo), i am happy and grateful for every day that she is stomping her feet for treats and looking at me with her big ears straight up and toothless smile!

has anyone else had any experience with deafness in their greys?

thanks,

lynn

cody, duchess, emma, chula & pippin

angels angie & bekka

Oh hugs to your old girl, Duchess. :wub:

I adopted an 11-1/2 yr old male this summer (he'll be 12 in two weeks). I suspect he, too, has experienced some decline in hearing and vision. I don't know his history.

Anyway, I think one just has to be patient, utilize hand signals, no sneaking up on them! and make sure they are in this galaxy before approaching them when sleeping.

Funny, my boy only has about six teeth :D and he stomps and pogos on his front feet when the treats come out! He is quite comical.

Gotta luv the old houndies. Hope all goes well for your sweet girl.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Dogs are not unlike people in that many of them tend to loose their hearing, at least in part, as they age.

This is not a greyhound issue, is what I'm saying. It's just a dog thing!

My parents' dog is now mostly deaf, which is kind of a relief for the poor guy cause he was terrified of thunder!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

There's a local greyhound who's deaf. He apparently has been deaf from birth, and he's not a very old dog. His original trainer just thought he was a stubborn dog. The deafness was discovered originally by the deaf son of one of our kennel volunteers.

The dog recently went back to the kennel for a short stay and was completely oblivious to a dog in a neighboring kennel who was barking nonstop and being obnoxious. Aside from the hearing issues, the dog seems healthy and happy.

For your girl, aside from making sure that she's aware of you before you touch her and similar problems, be aware that she won't hear a warning if one of your other dogs gets snarky. And while you can make sure she's aware of you before you touch her, you can't guarantee that she'll be aware of the other dogs, who might startle her awake. You might want to see if you can settle her in an area where she won't be walked over or surprised by your other dogs.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Before Greyhounds, I had a Yorkie who lived to be 15. He lost his hearing as he aged. When he was young I taught him commands and tricks by voice and hand signals, this really came in handy when he did lose his hearing. I also would tap the floor when I approched him if he was asleep, that way I wouldn't startle him.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

We had a rescued lab that was stone deaf,, he came to use from a breeder as a pup,, lived with us 13 years,,,, we taught him signs,,, was easier to teach HIM signs that it was DH :lol

My 13.75 year old whippet is losing his hearing, among other things. When I first noticed it, I started using hand signals when calling him. I didn't get him until he was 11, so responding to come was about the only command he ever mastered. He sleeps on the beds, so I push on the mattress to nudge him awake or he wakes up snarling. But, he has always done that! He also sees his leash and understands its significance. As for major events, like eating, he follows the cues of the other dogs. Being aware when he is sleeping is really the only adaptation that I consciously altered. You will probably wave your arms to have her approach you anyway, without realizing it. I do exaggerate hand movements because his sight isn't what it used to be either. Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

From my friend Marvel -- Maybe these will help. My e-mail is Houndkeeper at SBCglobal.net. If you'll send me your your e-mail I can forward it to Marvel and she can get in touch with you. She is very experienced with deaf dogs.

D2Care is a membership-based organization, dedicated to promoting the health, welfare, and quality of life for Deaf dogs through outreach, advocacy, education and support.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg