Toe Removal Question

Gracie will be getting her dental tomorrow. We are also having the vet check that funky crusty growth and swelling on a rear foot toe.

If the vet thinks the toe should be removed (I don't think it will be), is it harder on a greyhound to have an inner toe (2nd from the inside) removed compared to an outer toe?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Well, I don't know for SURE, but since Dr. Couto considers them "three legged dogs with a spare," meaning they do brilliantly missing a LEG, I assume missing a toe might be a bit awkward at first, but no real big deal.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Gee is missing an inside toes. She has a limp that she has always had. I don't know if the toe was part of the injury that caused the limp or not and I had no way of finding out.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We recently had to remove an inside toe. His recovery was a bit tough because the entire foot was swollen for an extended time. From what I read on GT our bad-ish experience was rare. Now he is doing fine. His gait is a little different but it was even before the toe was removed :dunno. If removing the toe would increase her comfort I would do it.

I hope Mork's mom pops in because she also removed an inner toe.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Ducky, I am not sure if you remember Califano or not (he was a goofy black boy that was at GFNC for over a year) if I decided to foster him, (he was adopted in 2 weeks after being in our house which I was shocked he went so fast) I believed he was missing the same toe (I am going off memory as it has been 2 years ago this month that he was with us) and he was fine. We will be thinking of Gracie tomorrow.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest MnMDogs

Mork's mom here :) I've been trying to reply, and having technical difficulties on the iPad!  Anyhoo... The inner toe will most likely be harder than an outer toe removal.  But Morky had a back right weight bearing toe removed on November 19 last year. The first few days were rough, but within a week we were walking like normal ( well normal for a dog with 3 corns on his front feet).<br /><br />  The first bandage change was within 2 days, which worked out well since he chewed the wrap off that morning.

Then we changed every 4-5 days since my biggest worry was that he would end up with an infection if we didn't watch his foot closely.If I remember correctly, the wrap stayed on for about 2-3 weeks. It probably could have come off sooner, but he's a chewer&quot; and I felt that it was safest to keep it covered. One thing is crucial...keep it dry. We went through a lot of iv bags during those few weeks, and it was a real pain to get it on and secure for his occasional middle of the night potty breaks.  But a year later he's doing very well on his 14 remaining toes (he is missing another weight bearing toe on his left front). My vet did a great job padding that toe with a nice bit of fur (his pad was keratinized so it couldn't be saved).  So that's the long version of saying, your pup will be fine if it ends up that the toe needs to be removed :) Not sure what all the formatting issues are- I'm having a hard time!

Edited by MnMDogs

Scout came to me as a bounce with an inner toe removed on a rear foot for unknown reasons. I remember someone telling me that sometimes the other toes surrounding a missing inner one are more prone to injury because of weight distribution, and Scout did have a swollen toe a time or two on that foot, but nothing major.

Good thoughts going to your girl.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest greybookends

Ducky I can't speak about care and recovery but Daytona has had both inner toes on her right rear foot amputated. They have been amputated just at the first knuckle the rest of the toes are there, so basically they took off the nails. She has a limp but is otherwise fine. If the problem Gracie is having is with the nail maybe they do not need to take the whole toe. Maybe just to the first knuckle would be enough?

Guest OurGreytLife

My Jaya came to us with an badly injured inner rear toe. My vet removed the

entire toe. After a few months she made a full recovery and could run like

the wind.

I wish your dog all the best.

Guest dwolfe711

Mercedes just lost an inside toe due to a cyst - she is walking and running fine. It was the toe next to the little toe - only problem we had was she tore the nail off the little toe while running about six weeks after the amp - but that is all healed now too - we had minimal problems with the process - she was a trooper - good luck -

No doggie toe experience here, Ducky, only my own :rolleyes: Just wanted to wish Gracie good luck today :thumbs-up:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest cyndiandsaoirse

Saoirse tore the tendons that held her toe on (back foot, outside toe). We had it removed back in the spring and she's fine now, but it took awhile for her to heal. Just be prepared to be really patient with wrapping bc greys seem to take a while to heal (thin skin). I had to keep it wrapped for weeks before it finally healed enough. Then, I put a sock on it to keep it clean when she was outside. Baby socks are great for this. She took a while to get used to it being gone- walked really funny at first, then just for dramatic effect, now she tears around the yard like she never missed it!

She does have another toe on the front foot which dislocated a LOT, but because it's an inner (larger toe) I hesitate having it removed. She has learned to stop and hold her foot up when her toe goes out, so I can fix it.

Good luck, and we'll send good thoughts to your baby!

Guest mcsheltie

Never had problems with an inner toe. They adapt quickly.

What do you do

NOT

want to do is take it off at the "knuckle". Then it will hit the ground with every step. And that is painful. The only thing covering the bone is a thin layer of skin.

How is Gracie doing?