Tetracycline Teeth

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Our new boy, Trey, has the grayest teeth I've ever seen. They're clean--cleaned a couple weeks ago--but they're gray. The vet says that either he had tetracycline as a puppy, or his mom had distemper when he was in utero. Of the two, tetracycline seems more likely, although obviously, we'll never know.

My question is, does this impact the quality of his teeth any? Is there anything I should be watching out for-soft and easily broken, acquires crud easily and need cleaned a lot, anything like that? Or is this just a discoloration/stain?

Edited by FireHorse

Wow, dogs get that too? Huh. I myself have childhood-tetracycline teeth and hate it. But it's just staining, doesn't cause any problems. My teeth do tend to get a lot of plaque buildup but I don't think that's related in any way.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

My Cash has the same thing. She's a blue brindle, so her teeth match her color. Not appealing, but they are otherwise in great shape. She hasn't needed a dental in seveal years.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Our new boy, Trey, has the grayest teeth I've ever seen. They're clean--cleaned a couple weeks ago--but they're gray. The vet says that either he had tetracycline as a puppy, or his mom had distemper when he was in utero. Of the two, tetracycline seems more likely, although obviously, we'll never know.

My question is, does this impact the quality of his teeth any? Is there anything I should be watching out for-soft and easily broken, acquires crud easily and need cleaned a lot, anything like that? Or is this just a discoloration/stain?

My girl Survey has tetracycline teeth. Her mother was on antibiotics when she was in utero. She gets very little tarter and although her teeth stay that telltale grey they appear to be very strong and don't require cleaning very often.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I have three with gray teeth. In our case, I'm not sure about the tetracycline as puppy and I know distemper was not an issue with the Moms. I am firmly convinced that our discolored teeth came from crappy well water as puppies.

Our guys teeth seem fairly healthy otherwise. I have definitely had a Grey with crappier teeth.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I have three with gray teeth. In our case, I'm not sure about the tetracycline as puppy and I know distemper was not an issue with the Moms. I am firmly convinced that our discolored teeth came from crappy well water as puppies.

Elvis are way past grey -- they are almost sort of swamp water green all over. I've really never seen such dark teeth. He had a dental in January.

Never thought about it but certainly am in agreement with the crappy well water theory. In the smaller communities in West Texas where rural residents use crappy well water from the aquifier as opposed to "city water" you can most certainly see the difference in humans teeth. In junior high kids were teased because of their "brown water teeth" or something to that effect. The mottled or discolored teeth branded one as a rural hayseed to the bullies.

If you want to water your dog at the National Greyhound Association kennels you're going to use a hand pump outside to bring up the water so it may be common on the farms too.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg