Overbites And Jaw Lines With Greyhounds

Guest scale

What is the deal with the overbite on some dogs and not others? Some have roman noses and even look like the have bent there nose / snout and not others.

Is there anything wrong or any complications from having either in your hound has they age? I love the overbite look of most dogs ive seen. I always say..the longer the beak the better :)

just curious is all (and new).

In the NGA (Nat'l Greyhound Ass'n) greyhounds, breeding is not done for looks so you get everything out there. I have never heard of complications from a Roman nose or an overbite. A little snaggletooth is character defining sometimes!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Roman noses are statistically quite uncommon among greyhounds; they're a bit of an oddity, but one that has enthusiastic admirers on this board, so we get lots of pics posted! I guess overbites are rather more common. As was said above, NGA greyhounds are not bred for looks (there is no visual "breed standard" they are being judged by, as with AKC dogs), so genetic variants that don't affect speed or health get perpetuated. That's why greyhounds come in all different colors, too!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest GryffinSong

Gryffin had a huge overbite, and he had a stunningly beautiful profile. I like long heads (my first two dogs were borzoi). Kiesha has a perfect bite, and she also has a gorgeous head. Guess the overbite wasn't the only factor!!! :colgate

Guest tinams8

My dog has an overbite, and I don't think it causes her any serious trouble but it definitely gets in the way when she eats. And it seems to cause severe, chronic ETS. :lol

Guest KennelMom

We've owned just about every shape and size of head from a roman nose to an overbite to a perfect scissor bite...I've not seen any significant difference in the long term health of a dog regardless of it's nose/bite shape.

My boy has a slight roman nose,, and a very bent nose,,,, my grandson says "he has a greyt nose he can sniff around a corner and not turn his head" :lol for me apperence is not important,,, nose, color, or short or long tail,,, it is more important what the dog's personallity is,,, but I must admit,,,, I love those roman noses :wub:

• 1 month later...

JJ has a very slight bump on his nose....not roman, but slightly raised.

JJhead-shot.jpg

Dustin has an overbite....

DustyandJJ.jpg

DH's senior has a long, but straight nose with no overbite, and my bridge boy Jack had a shorter nose with a slightly wider bridge giving him a bit of a doberman look.

All are beautiful in my eyes!!:blush

Someone told me once that the overbites helped them "win by a nose!"

I think they were kidding. :rolleyes:

Given Dustin's overbite - and the fact that he was last in three schooling races...I think you are right that they were kidding!!:lol

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Roman noses are statistically quite uncommon among greyhounds; they're a bit of an oddity, but one that has enthusiastic admirers on this board, so we get lots of pics posted! I guess overbites are rather more common. As was said above, NGA greyhounds are not bred for looks (there is no visual "breed standard" they are being judged by, as with AKC dogs), so genetic variants that don't affect speed or health get perpetuated. That's why greyhounds come in all different colors, too!

... Joseph... paging Joseph.. :wub:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=won+by+a+nose&x=38&y=16

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Sam and Oreo had good dental lines. One of my fosters had an overbite so extreme that if you looked at his head from below his jaw, you saw his top teeth sticking out nearly half an inch beyond his lower jaw. Jacey has a very slight overbite...and she smiles...

3137006964_caf93048b7.jpg

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

One of the Newer Roman nosed pups on GreyTalk:

med_gallery_9376_3027_156133.jpg

Harry is 4yrs old, raced 2 years, waited at the kennel for 9 months.

Atascocita Harry

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=4kagqh&d=Atascocita+Harry&x=21&y=16

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

think they were kidding. :rolleyes:

http://www.greyhound...+nose&x=38&y=16

...joseph.. paging Joseph... :rotfl

Now Pam. Just because it took him 9,042,367 races to break his maiden ..... :lol

Joseph -- he has a small overbite. He is grayer in the face now -- I need some new pics.

94_goodegg.jpg

My angel Batman, perfect bite:

b_grandma_027c.jpg

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

think they were kidding. :rolleyes:

http://www.greyhound...+nose&x=38&y=16

...joseph.. paging Joseph... :rotfl

Now Pam. Just because it took him 9,042,367 races to break his maiden ..... :lol

Joseph -- he has a small overbite. He is grayer in the face now -- I need some new pics.

94_goodegg.jpg

:wub: aka, the one that got away ;) I lubs him so much :kiss2 I always loved his racing name, Won By a Nose...soooo perfect! (though not sure if he actually won a lot of races by a nose)

Our roman nosed girl has a perfect bite. I can't see how a roman nose would cause any issues. OTOH, Tater has a seriously jacked up mouth...huge overbite, worn down teeth. Her little front teeth grow sorta inwards, rather than down (reminds me of a shark mouth) and her front lip doesn't cover her teeth, giving her a bucktooth appearance. It is harder to keep her front teeth clean, but a lot of meaty bones works pretty well. Not really any different than any other dog. But, her nose does seem to be able to operate almost independently...it's quite funny when she goes to town sniffing something with her nose wagging to and fro. I call it her Super Sniffer.

The first pic I ever saw of her (from Greysandmoregreys)

3361160770_e574251dc9_o.jpg

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur

4318843714_08a3da153a_o.jpg

The difference in greyhounds heads: a (short) comparative study :P

long, skinny beak with overbite

4696521550_c3b764df66.jpg

the opposite :lol

3478724568_0f254ce834.jpg

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

:wub: some of my favorite and most unique looking hound noses :lol

My own little funny faced girl, Pooh

brandy027.jpg

overbite with the slight snaggle tooth

and then the odd little ability to do a nose twist

brandy011.jpg

There was a dog at our adoption kennel whose huge overbite wasn't a health problem, but he needed a washbucket as a water bowl because he had to approach from the side and kind of skim over the water. He had a tiny, tiny lower jaw. As far as I know, he had a normal racing career.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Anatomy, genetics and biology used to be a hobby of mine. Things like overbites and roman noses are genetic mutations. When I was studying this stuff, they used dog breeding as a case study. The long nosed dogs like shephards and greyhounds still have the basic physiology from their wolf predecessors, but the snub nosed breeds have been bred for that face shape. (Similar case for things like short legs in doxies, etc) The books on genetics pointed out how poor breeding can cause more genetic defects like cleft faces for example, in the snub-nosed breeds, or wall-eyes in Boston Terriers. The very thought of puppies being born with cleft faces makes me nauseas and against breeding for those characteristics.

It is very interesting, though, that despite NOT being bred for long noses - greyhounds are just as mother nature intended them - we still have occasional mutations of roman noses and odd bites. Since they're not the product of sloppy breeding, though, I don't like to call them defects, just mutations. I don't always think they're cute, (sometimes they are) but they ARE fascinating. I wonder if roman noses have extra large sinus cavities, or if it's all bone.

Both of mine have perfect bites, but Ajax has a little bump on his nose, close to the end. Not quite roman, just hinting in that direction. B)

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow