Ollie Not Right- Update 50

RobinM

Ollie eats raw. Tonight after dinner, he was acting like something was stuck in his throat but not overly so. He walked but has not taken anything to eat since. I went out for a couple of hours. came home and noticed he was panting. I just went to get everyone's nightly duck necks and Ollie is usuallu waiting at the steps for his. He is always first in line. he wasn;t there. I found him roaching in my closet. (he uses it as a condo)

Rich said he has a little wheezing (it's not really wheezing more like heavy breathing) going on but is not in distress. Rich put his fingers all the way down his throat, nothing is there. He tried heimlich but will try again if we are told we should.

E vet?

ETA- he ate at 5:15

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swifthounds

Did Rich check around Ollie's teeth and the roof of his mouth? Having something stuck between or behind a tooth would be painful enough to cause panting.

Is he drinking? Anything unusual when he was eating?

Did Rich check around Ollie's teeth and the roof of his mouth? Having something stuck between or behind a tooth would be painful enough to cause panting.

Is he drinking? Anything unusual when he was eating?

Nothing unsual except he skarfs his food and I am always worried about hiim swallowing bones. But they are not huge pieces. We use a meat cleaver to cut the duck into pieces. But still, it's a bone.

He has not eaten or drank since he ate. I heard what sounded like him trying to cough something up after he ate. Nothing came up. I went out, came back to find him panting. Then laying on my closet floor ( not unusal) breathing heavy. Won't take ANYTHING. Highly unusal. Tail not wagging. Highly unusal.

ETA Rich is taking him to evet. he is lethargic.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Rocket did something similar last week - scared the crapola outta me. He was perfecly relaxed, but you could tell something didn't go down right as every once in a while he would hack like he was trying to expel someting. I kept an eye on him since he wasn't in distress, and eventually he just went to bed as usual. . His breathing was normal and no sign of distress, so I don't know what he had in there but it went away on it's own.

Is he drinking at all?

I know this isn't much help, but you definitely need to keep an eye on him until it clears.

Edited to add - just saw your follow up and think the E-Vet is the right call since he is lethargic. When a Chow Hound won't take food, something is wrong - we have one of those here too.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yikes!! Ollie's in my thoughts and I'm looking forward to reading a positive update.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

We'll wait up with you here 'til Ollie gets home, ok?

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

We'll wait up with you here 'til Ollie gets home, ok?

That's greyt. thank you.

Also hanging out, waiting for news...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Just got text from Rich. Physical showed nothing. Now, taking x-rays.

I have 4 dogs in my house. My house is empty without my Ollie who's claim to fame is that you don't even know he's here.

Guess I was wrong.

He is almost 95 pounds of svelteness, kindness , the gentlest dog I have ever known.

Just scared.

Why would they tell Rich about 1/2 hour for x-rays?

Sedating Ollie a little? Getting a technician back to the hospital after he/she had gone home (or gone to dinner, or whatever)? Warming up equipment? Getting an expert around to read the films? 30 minutes doesn't sound long to me. I've waited longer for results on xrays of a leg. For Ollie, they may want chest and abdominal films.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sedating Ollie a little? Getting a technician back to the hospital after he/she had gone home (or gone to dinner, or whatever)? Warming up equipment? Getting an expert around to read the films? 30 minutes doesn't sound long to me. I've waited longer for results on xrays of a leg. For Ollie, they may want chest and abdominal films.

I know. I know. It is a 24/hour place so I am sure there is someone there, but I know I am being over the top. I just don't have greyt memories of my pup Rocky who died there( non greyhound). This is a very good evet. I am just having a hard time waiting to hear something.

Yeah, the "about" part of that 1/2 hour could be less than 1/2 hour. I'm sure they will want to take a good look at them first.

edited to add....perhaps something in an adult beverage would help the wait?

Edited by greyhounds1234

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest Hollys2hounds

I am here too... if you feel like talking, call me at any time. Hopefully Rich and Ollie will be home soon, but you can call at any hour.

Thinking of you, and praying it is nothing!

Let us know.

xxoo

H

I know. I know. It is a 24/hour place so I am sure there is someone there, but I know I am being over the top. I just don't have greyt memories of my pup Rocky who died there( non greyhound). This is a very good evet. I am just having a hard time waiting to hear something.

I know the feeling. I lost my first grey after an emergency. Waiting stinks.

But they might have had an OMG!disaster! emergency ahead of Ollie. (Like the way my vet does dentals first on dogs with health issues, so my healthy dogs are always the last he does--makes me crazy.)

But if they're doing chest and abdominal xrays, it'll take some time to position Ollie right for the films. And they'll want to get a good read on the films before they talk to Rich.

I HATE THIS PLACE. I don't know what to do.

Vet says to me it could be cellular infulltrate? could be pnumonia? could be this, could be that, could be could be and of course it's best to keep him JUST in case, but he is OK now - but still panting.

Could give him antibotics and try that could be a collapsed esophogus if he has been laying on his side??? WHAT?

I don't know if he should stay or come home with antibiotics. this place is 35 minutes away. I told Rich I would call him back in 5 minutes.

Edited by RobinM

Could any of their maybes turn into something where 35 minutes would be critical?

ETA: He's going to pant at the e-vets, I think. That's probably inevitable.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia