Ollie Not Right- Update 50

RobinM

Just seeing this....

Prayers for Ollie. As far as him being at the vet overnight.....is he going to be alone? i.e. I'm assuming they have no one on staff overnight. If that's the case, can you bring him home and do fluids sub-cutaneous (spelling is wrong, I'm sure)....it's pretty simple to do - and very safe - if you haven't done it before - and any vet can show you how. That way he could continue to get fluids and still be at home. The fluids are not as direct as IV, but it still works.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry poor Ollie is going through this, and you guys too! :( :( :(

sending many prayers he'll be ok!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest TeddysMom

Gee, what a horrible situation to be in. I don't like the thought that he will be alone all night either, poor baby. I hope you get some kind of dx today and that he will be able to come home later today. Prayers being said for the big guy.

Guest mcsheltie

I'm a bit confused. Can't they tell if it's pneumonia by chest x-rays? Wouldn't there be some sort of clouding in the lungs?

Correct, that is how they dx pneumonia.

Doesn't sound like he needs to be on anything that he can't do without if your vet doesn't have overnight person there to monitor, I wouldn't like leaving him either, much better care at home.

update is he is resting comfortably. Going to do another set of x-rays on chest and on neck. Will drop by there with the pre packaged raw food mushed up.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Had the x-rays done and read. He is being treated with the serious antibiotics. They are not sure if it's pnumonia, if it is, its not typical. Could be canine influenza, another bacterial issue or a virus. He can come home tonight but will need to be re-xrayed in 2 days. No blockage, some inflammation in esphogus. That could be from the trying to clear throat last night.

it's the fluid on the lung that is what is unknown. Said they would expect the look of his lungs on an older dog. Ollie turned 4 last week.

Will call later in afternoon to get update.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Our Willa had a chest full of fluid and it had to be drained before they could get a clear view of her lungs, just a thought. They also tested the fluid they drained, have they mentioned doing anything like that?

Sending healing thoughts and prayers out to sweet Ollie. Hoping you get a concrete diagnosis, too.

:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

If it's canine influenza, will that affect the other dogs?

I sure as s**t hope not. Beau has a compromised immune system.

Getting him at 8:30pm. Next dose of antibiotics at 8AM, If he eats and he can take his meds, he can stay home, otherwise he will have to be readmitted.

No bones, just soft food. Ground duck and beef for now. Still seeing 2 bones in his belly. have been digested.

Thinking of both you and Ollie. I hope the antibiotics rid him of this soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Still seeing 2 bones in his belly. have been digested.

Did you mean *not* digested? How big?

I was surprised at the relatively small size of Hard Things that it took to cause a blockage in Joseph. Hope very much that is not Ollie's problem and that he is back to 100% soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Still seeing 2 bones in his belly. have been digested.

Did you mean *not* digested? How big?

I was surprised at the relatively small size of Hard Things that it took to cause a blockage in Joseph. Hope very much that is not Ollie's problem and that he is back to 100% soon.

Yes, not digested. From last night - it was a about 1/2 duck leg. they are much smaller than chicken leg but still large enough.

Got a call from vet. Labs fine. Treating for the pnumonia/other bacterial because we don't know what else to do. her words "not out of woods yet". Not a blockage.

She thinks the food is seconadary to the lung issue. Hoping the anitbiotic clears it up. Will have to re-xray him in 48 hours.