Rainey Has Had A 3Rd Seizure. Not Good News.

I'm glad you were able to get an earlier appointment. No experience with seizures, but plenty with wobbly dogs; I can follow instructions and I am here 4 out of the 7 days in the week. Sending lots and lots of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad that you were able to get into Arboretum View so quickly -- and pm/call if you need a bit of help while you're in the area ... I live about 15 minutes from there, and work out of my home. So if you need an extra hand (or place to nap, or somewhere for Anubis to visit while you're at the vet, or ???), please know that you can call.

Prayers for good results this week, and that the whining stops (Riley has the whining with barometric pressure changes, and was inconsolable this evening for about 2 hours -- I can only imagine that I'd be a nutcase if I felt that helpless for days!)

Julie

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Kim,

Jen and I live one 2 exits south of Ogden Avenue on 355 (Boughton Rd). Our house is literally 7 minutes south of the clinic. If you need anything, or would just like to meet up or stop by, let me know. (630-272-8178).

Chad

no experience with grey's seizure -- but we had a little schipperke that my mother dropped on the tile floor when she was a puppy and she landed on her head :( at first she appeared to be all right -- but later that day or the next day suffered a seizure and we took her to the vet. i don't remember how long she stayed at the vets - i think it was a couple of days -- or what all they did (it's been quite a few years ago) -- when she came home from the vet she "walked to the right" and was very unstable for quite awhile (like at least several weeks) -- she eventually fully recovered and lived quite a long life after that -- you and rainey will be in our thoughts and prayers!!!

Edited by teri_d

Guest LindsaySF
She is whining constantly, incessantly and loudly almost every minute she's awake. She at least was quiet for a little while after I fed her yesterday, but today she's whining starting immediately after feeding her at 12:30. It's horrible. It's making me crazy, because I don't know what is the matter!!!! and it's constant. sad.gif I'm about at my wit's end. sad.gif She is also having problems going up/down the stairs and seems to be running into things more, which I expect from the med's, but not this horrible whining and crying (she is NOT in pain, at least not that I can see, at all). Called the doctor yesterday and he had no idea, said he's never heard of a dog doing that after being put on Pheno. All I can guess is she's starving, but I'm feeding her more than she usually gets, just gave her some green beans, and still crying! How much more am I to feed her??? and it would have to be constantly!

I don't know if this is a reaction to the meds (guessing go), and if it will stop in a few days -- if not, I don't know what to do at this point, she is so unhappy, it would almost be better if she HAD the seizures, I don't know! sad.gif

I would bet she's still hungry. When they are first put on meds or when the dosage is increased, the side effects seem to affect them more strongly. Once she gets more used to the pheno it shouldn't be so bad.

Sophie will pace and cry, sometimes just after eating, and I think there is no way she can still be hungry, but she is. I just keep feeding her small meals until she goes to sleep and stops crying. She eats a ridiculous amount of food compared to the other dogs, but she's still a healthy weight. If you have green beans I would just keep giving Rainey small amounts until she seems satisfied. Pheno can also make them drink more water, so she might have to go outside more often also.

Pheno can definitely cause stumbling, ataxia, weakness, etc. Whenever we have increased Sophie's dose she has a hard time with the stairs, with getting up after laying down, and with walking on the wood floors.

Good luck at your appointment. goodluck.gif

~Lindsay~

Hoping the change in meds will help. Gentle scritchies to pretty girl and hugs for you and Bruce and Nubers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

Do you have a Costco near you? Keppra is WAAY cheaper there. I want to say something like $40 a month. Some dogs don't get as good seizure control with Keppra as they do with Pheno, but Keppra is said to have fewer side effects.

They put them under for the MRI and spinal tap, which is why they have you drop them off and pick them up later. Sophie had a little shaved spot on the back of her head, she looked like Frankenstein. The hair grew back pretty quickly though.

Try giving Rainey snacks almost every hour, see if that helps. I had to do that with Sophie when she first came, she was frantic without it.

Good luck! :)

~Lindsay~

Options are good. Hope the new meds and new advice helps minimize the whining. Rainey must be quite miserable, by now! Everyone must be pretty miserable right about now. I am so sorry this is happening to you! I think of Rainey often during the day, hoping that good news is right around the corner.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Do you have a Costco near you?

I was thinking the same thing. Gracie's meds are substantially cheaper at Costco than other places.

They put them under for the MRI and spinal tap, which is why they have you drop them off and pick them up later. Sophie had a little shaved spot on the back of her head, she looked like Frankenstein. The hair grew back pretty quickly though.

When Gracie had her MRI and spinal tap last year I called her shaved spot her 'kissy spot'. Every day I'd give her many kisses in that spot to help to heal her little brain from her stroke.

Whatever you decide to do, MRI or not, I hope you get some answers that help to make Rainey happy. She is such a wonderful dog and I know she loves you, Bruce, and Nuber Duber dearly. Please tell her that I am going to be looking for her at the Gala so I can give her some love (and a little lecture about scaring her momma!) Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Guest hlpnhounds

Kim & Bruce

You are all in my thoughts. I am very happy that you were able to get in with a neurologist that you are comfortable with as that is VERY important. I hope they are able to ease your mind and that Rainey's results come back as something controllable with the meds. :grouphug

Glad you had a good visit with the neuro, even if they couldn't do the MRI just yet. Hope things are going well for you and Rainey today and will continue to do so!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).