Rainey Has Had A 3Rd Seizure. Not Good News.

Just checking in to see how Rainey is doing today. grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I have quite a bit of experience with seizures too, unfortunately. We had four older dogs with late-onset epilepsy; none of them had actual (idiopathic) epilepsy, although the treatment was the same while trying to figure out the causes of the seizures.

I hope the bump isn't the cause of her seizures. If it isn't here are few other possibilities.

Tabba had "seizures" that were from tachycardia. Took her off seizure meds and put her on heart meds and she stopped seizing. She was 8 or 9 when it started.

Jonesy had one extremely violent "seizure" but it was really from a stroke. He never got up but was fully "with it." It was an awful three weeks. He was treated with pred which didn't work. He wound up with internal bleeding. He was about 9 or 10.

Tucker had seizures but he also had a horrid case of Lyme. He went from a titer of 1:40 to 1:10,000 seemingly out of the blue. He was 6. He wound up with GN (glomerularnephritis) and immune problems.

Cullen started them 2 weeks before his eighth birthday. Turns out he had a Lyme disease recurrence, Atypical Cushings and retroperitoneal hemangiosarcoma, which is what killed him. Someone else had a dog with the same RP and had seizures too. A friend's dog started seizures and was diagnosed shortly thereafter with osteo.

So, if the MRI doesn't show anything, please look to other reasons for seizures. ;)

Best wishes to you and Rainey.:grouphug

Edited by MZH

Oh no, just seeing this now!! I hope you are able to figure this all out....it is horrible not knowing!!

Sending all good thoughts your way!!!!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest greybookends

Is it possible that the dosage for the Pheno is to high? Many years ago I had a GSD that was epileptic. He was placed on Pheno. I can't remember if he started to whine or not. I do know that he did not act right at all and after a week of being so afraid for him I called the vet. The dosage was to high. He was being over dosed. I spent 3 days on the floor with him bringing him down of the pheno. Once we got the dosage right he was fine. The dosage was cut by 2/3. The vet had based the dosage on his weight(he was a BIG boy)but he didn't need the recommended dosage. I hope Rainey gets better soon. :grouphug

Guest LindsaySF

I would guess that the phenobarbital is either too high, or Rainey needs a while to adjust to it. Every time we increase Sophie's medication she acts pretty crazy until she gets used to it.

When Sophie first had her medication increased, both pheno and KBr, she was so ataxic that I was basically carrying her everywhere (and at 75 lbs she's a big girl). She fell every few minutes on my floors and needed assistance getting up, and she kept pacing and crying. She could not do stairs for over a month. I ended up putting a harness on her so I could better lift her, and it helped a lot.

Things seem bad now, but trust me, it will get better! :)

~Lindsay~

Checking for an update on sweet girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Haven't been on in a couple of days and have been thinking about and praying for Rainey. How is she doing? I hope there's some relief from those horrid side effects! Sending prayers for you and Rainey! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead