Ruptured Disk

Guest 3furkids

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3furkids

Casey is doing so much better now that he is home. He had lost 13# while hospitalized. All of his stitches are out.

He is trying more to get up by himslef but still is walking with assistance. He is walking the length of a football field several times a day but is not putting much weight on the surgery leg and sometimes drags it. We go see the surgeon Friday. His spirit is good and that makes me happy. I'll let you know what the surgeon says Fri.

Thanks for the update! So glad he is continuing to make progress and hope that continues.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

I haven't been able to be online much. We are at a show, so I am just seeing this.

I am so sorry for everything your poor guy has been through. But thank God he has you! You folks deserve the nurse of the year award. What a greyt job you are doing!

I hope all we read are positive updates now! Good luck on Friday!!!!!

Edited by mcsheltie

Well, I've cried my way all through Casey's story, but it sounds like it will have a happy ending.

Hurray!!!!!! My vote goes to You-all for Parents of the Year Award.

Did anyone every have an adequate explanation for what happened to his hip?

Now that he's home & doing better, maybe you can get a little more pushy with the hospital about what happened.

Accidents happen, but a hip dislocation after neck surgery is just too much.

Many prayers for Casey's continued improvement.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest 3furkids

The Dr put him on another 2 week restriction. He is better but he doesn't want to go to fast. They still say they don't know what happened to dislocate his hip.

He is a little unsteady on his feet expecially when he tries to squat or lift a leg up. His back legs are pigeon toed and he sometimes scraped his nail on cement whrn walking. The Dr is not sure if it neurological from the neck or not. He does have a good attitude.

Thanks so much for all your support. If you are not a dog person one just doesn't understand. We are in rural farm country where people think pets are animals and they sure don't understand how I could spend thousands on a dog. I asked if it was thier kid would they and they say of course. Well these are my kids!

I'm so glad to hear Casey's getting better. My dogs are my kids too so I know exactly how you feel. Casey is very lucky to have such wonderful parents!!

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Sounds like really good news to me. The important thing is that he continues to get better- he's always moving forward- and his atitude is good, which is paramont. At his age he won't progress as fast as he would have when he was a young dog, but who cares? He is progressing and he is getting better and better all the time that's all that counts! He sounds like he is a very smart guy too since he knows he should not try go go fast just yet.

The vet is never going to level with you about what happened to his hip because then he would be liable. That's why he keeps saying he don't know. (Interesting he does free surgery on things he don't know the cause of isn't it?) I worked in a LARGE university vet hospital for 2 years and I observed the typical way many techs swing large patients into the kennel after surgery. One grabs the front legs, one grabs the back legs and sometimes they swing way too much with too much force. They do it so that they don't have to actually lift the large dog and carefuly place him in the kennel. It is easier and faster for them since they don't have to exert themselves and they don't really care since it isn't their dog anyway. Some female techs are too small and weak to carefully and properly place them back in their kennel afterwards also and they certainly don't ask for help. They compensate by swinging. I have been told that when the patients are still under their muscle tone etc. isn't normal so more than likely when they threw him in the kennel after surgery, since he wan't awake and able to protect himself with normal muscle tone and responses, it just was too much for the ligaments attaching it and then poor Casey was seriously and unnecessarily injured. Just my opinion and at this point it doesn't matter anyway. The important hting is that he is getting better. Don't want anything to detract from the positive energy of his healing. More prayers going up!

I live in a rural farm area like that too and in fact grew up on a farm where the animals were the business that fed us and had to be managed as such or we all would starve -animals and people. But it is different with our greyhounds. I think me and most of the people here are like you-they are our family and are treated as such. Casey is so lucky to have found you!

Thank you very very much for the update and please tell him how we all love him and wish him well.

So glad to see the positive update. Surgeries like that can take a good while to heal -- I think the progress he's made so far is awesome. Hugs and hopes for continued improvement.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 3furkids

Sorry I haven't responed in a while I have had a pinched nerve in my shoulder and the pain has been unbearable shooting all the way down my arm and numbing my fingers! Probably didn't help carrying Casey up and down the few stairs we couldn't ramp.

He went for a check up Tuesday (at my regular vet)and she said he was doing very well. No x-rays needed. He is still a little weak in his back legs but with 2 surgies and his age she just thinks he will take a little longer to build back his muscles. There are no physical therapy places within 2 hours from us here but we head back to Florida in a month and there is a place a few miles from us there and we will get him in there. She thinks water therapy will work best. If it was still in the 80's here we could take him in the river but the water is way to cold now!

He appears to be a little spoiled. When we are not in sight he goes down or up the 3 stairs to the bedroom with no problem but if we are within ear shot cries to be carried up or down also to be helped up from a sitting position. We haven't let him off leash (our yard is fenced) for fear he would take off chasing geese, deer or any critter near the yard. He is eating like a horse and has gained 6 of the 13 pounds he lost. He seem happier now. He may have been in pain before we knew anything was wrong. I'm just glad he is home and getting better. A very big thanks for all those good thoughts and prayers sent!!!

Good to hear that he seems to be mending well, if slowly. Sounds like Casey is getting very satisfactorially spoiled. Sorry about your pinched nerve.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

It sounds like he's doing great. Thank goodness. Hugs and best luck as you both continue to heal.