Travel Food

Guest sirsmom

Guest sirsmom

Does anyone have any suggestions for soft food not in cans that can be mixed in with kibble? Maybe pouches or that sort of thing that travels easy and doesn't take up too much space in a cooler?

best to keep with what you normally feed as traveling can make them stressed to begin with and keeping with as much as normal is best.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Solid Gold and Stella & Chewy both make a freeze-dried beef patty that can be crumbled into the dry food. Keep in mind that freeze-drying really concentrates things, so 1/6-1/4 of a patty is about what most people would add in terms of canned. Expensive to feed regularly but shop around -- one of my stores sells the stuff for @ 1/2 what the other charges.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ChasesMum

Don't they have some soft food in pouches that you can just tear the top off and be done?

for sure they do for cats, probably for small dogs too. i'd check Walmart or something like that...otherwise, Beneful canned food is pretty decent ingredients compared to most others, and a little would go a long way.

Don't they have some soft food in pouches that you can just tear the top off and be done?

:nod

Beneful also has the plastic trays of wet food, looks like a stew and can be served room temp.

But I do agree, best to stick with what they know. When I travel I bring kibble premeasured for the day and also bring along a can of wet food. Sometimes the stress of traveling upsets their tummies and a spoonful or two of wet food at least gets something in them so they don't get sick. Good luck on your trip and hope you have fun. :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I don't know where you're located... but I buy the pouches for when Summer is travelling, be it for a day trip or longer. I get them from Zehr's/Loblaws and it's their house brand. They come in a box of 12. In a pinch, I'll buy the Beneful trays. As a poster above said, they are like a stew. They smell pretty good! Our local PetValu pet store also sells a wonderful canned food in a smaller can which is a good size for a grey. I don't remember the brand but you can get some really fun stuff like venison. It's $3 or $4 for each can, though.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest sirsmom

I don't know where you're located... but I buy the pouches for when Summer is travelling, be it for a day trip or longer. I get them from Zehr's/Loblaws and it's their house brand. They come in a box of 12. In a pinch, I'll buy the Beneful trays. As a poster above said, they are like a stew. They smell pretty good! Our local PetValu pet store also sells a wonderful canned food in a smaller can which is a good size for a grey. I don't remember the brand but you can get some really fun stuff like venison. It's $3 or $4 for each can, though.

I'm in Ohio so I think I'll look into the Beneful trays. Thanks

I'm with the people who say don't feed anything you don't feed your dogs normally. Big D during a trip would NOT be fun. And I would never ever feed anything from Beneful. I've heard commercial soft food in pouches is full of sugar and additives and just terribly unhealthy.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I'm no help as most of my dogs just will not eat dog food on the road -- maybe sometime a pouch or two of Pedigree (Pedigree and Mighty dog both make pouches but it takes a LOT of them for a grey). I may not be the only one.

One year at Greyhound America I ordered two double cheeseburgers with one plain. When we got to the window the lady just laughed at Buck sticking his head out and said they had been selling plain cheesburgers like crazy all weekend and almost every car that ordered them had a greyhound sticking out of the window.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions for soft food not in cans that can be mixed in with kibble? Maybe pouches or that sort of thing that travels easy and doesn't take up too much space in a cooler?

At home I add in steamed veggies, or hard boiled egg; fish, cooked beef, etc. Since I don't like to change their diet when I'm traveling I improvise. Like bringing along those pouches of salmon that can be resealed and then put into the cooler; or boiling eggs (& peeling) and putting 'em into a ziplock bag in the cooler; ordering a plain roast beef sandwich for myself, (mayo on the side, I only eat half anyway!). Or if I go out for a meal and the veggie offering is to their liking I ask for it plain then pop it into one of my handy sandwich ziplocks that's always lurking in my bag! Or I'll get them sliced roasted beef, (or you can get turkey or chicken or whatever) at a deli to break up over their kibble.

If I am just trying to get a reluctant hound to eat while traveling, then I use canned sardines and tuna in packets. Neither of them need to be refrigerated until after opening, and we finish off an entire can/package at one meal with four hounds.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

I sometimes grate up a Natural Balance roll and package it in plastic bags. I keep it in the cooler and sprinkle some of it on top of their kibble. It's something they can easily eat. I also take pouches of tuna or salmon and divide it among my three on top of their kibble.

when i travel i use bottled water not to upset my dog's system- an that was even for terriers. we always have a cooler for dh's soda and food, so, how about putting the regular rations of canned dog food in a plastic container and keeping it on ice w/ your own food. i agree, don't change things around during a trip- unless it's a charbroiled burger you are treating you and your pup to.

When I travel, I take bottled water and canned food to mix with their kibble. I also pack can chicken and tuna in pouches, for when they are being picky and don't want to eat. Also pack a container of grated cheese to sprinkle on their food. I also take the little individual containers of cottage cheese for breakfast and small containers of yougart for their before bedtime snack. All these foods, they eat at home. I try not to change their eating schedule when we travel.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg