Treat Ideas For Virtually Toothless Senior Hound

I adopted an 11-1/2 yr old male over the weekend. He has his canine and maybe a few front teeth? All the rest were pulled in June. :weep

He is a sweet boy and loves to eat. :chow I have figured out the breakfast/lunch/dinner meal plans. Just looking for a few treat ideas that perhaps I haven't thought of? I did purchase some soft, chewy Wellness treats but other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I adopted an 11-1/2 yr old male over the weekend. He has his canine and maybe a few front teeth? All the rest were pulled in June. :weep

He is a sweet boy and loves to eat. :chow I have figured out the breakfast/lunch/dinner meal plans. Just looking for a few treat ideas that perhaps I haven't thought of? I did purchase some soft, chewy Wellness treats but other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Mix some kibble with yogurt and freeze. Lots of lick-value...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Dry treats: Graham crackers, animal crackers, vanilla wafers, EVO original biscuits, IAMS lamb and rice biscuits, Wildside Salmon (freeze-dried salmon chunks) .... All these are quite crumbly and can be gummed.

Not-so-dry treats: Individually wrapped cheese slices (not too many -- they're very salty), hot dog slivers, marshmallows.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A Kong with marshmallows and a little peanut butter - he'll be your best friend. lol.gif

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Vanilla yogurt with a little pumpkin mixed in and freeze in small ice cube tray. Pop out and store in Ziplock. A good summer treat. :) Graham crackers is a great idea!

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest sheila

I give things like cheese slices wadded up into a ball or bites of hot dogs. If the dog likes bananas that would be an option.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

bananas are great and are good for them too, liver treats the spongy kind, my guys love anything fishy even tuna.

I dont have any added ideas, but wanted to say how awesome that is that you took in an 11 1/2 yr old hound. Bless you! :)

I met a woman on Tues with a 15 year old!!! eek.gif They adopted her at 11...AND she was a brood mama!!! ...and she raced over 100 races. I was in awe! wub.gif

Guest lizmego

Freeze-dried liver; soft Biljac treats; yogurt drops (from Fosters and Smith); Science Diet Jerky treats; Solid Gold Jerky treats (lamb, turkey or beef); mini Nilla wafers. Effee had no teeth left in her mouth and we had to find treats that she could eat. These were her favorites.

Guest BorzoiMom

How does he do with drinking water? My nearly toothless makes a super mess of the water area, I bet she only gets half of what she licks down. The rest goes into a rotation of three towels placed to soak it all up.

I have a toothless wonder girl, too - Kara. Well, she actual has seven, but three of those are canines. Don't forget peanut butter, a squirt of whipped cream, marshmallows. But she also manages with cookies and Burpdogs.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest kydie

Poor pup,,,, :kiss2 I love those toothless pups,, senior or not,,,, I use those cheese sticks, and meatballs when I had a toothless guy :inlove

I dont have any added ideas, but wanted to say how awesome that is that you took in an 11 1/2 yr old hound. Bless you! :)

I met a woman on Tues with a 15 year old!!! eek.gif They adopted her at 11...AND she was a brood mama!!! ...and she raced over 100 races. I was in awe! wub.gif

Hey thanks! I'm sure there are hundreds of stories just like his in that the original family didn't want him anymore and returned him with a mouth full of neglected, crummy teeth. All were pulled except for a few. So sad. And he is the nicest boy. Always happy! (of course, if I had all my rotten teeth pulled, I'm sure I would feel better too.) :kiss2

Thanks everyone for the treat suggestions. You gave me some great ideas. Oh, BorzoiMom, actually he's a pretty neat drinker. Not particularly sloppy around the water bowl.

Vanilla yogurt with a little pumpkin mixed in and freeze in small ice cube tray. Pop out and store in Ziplock. A good summer treat. :) Graham crackers is a great idea!

I also had a little honey to the yogurt and pumpkin

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest iconsmum

here's mine

buy a little can of 3 or 4 mackerel or sardines and empty it into a blender, without the water or oil - WalMart has them for really cheap on sale sometimes

add an egg and some crushed cornflakes

process until the whole thing is one mixture that holds together but not stiff- not very long

turn the mix out onto a large sheet of waxed or parchment paper

put another sheet of paper over the mix and get out a rolling pin or a wine bottle

now roll the mix out like very thin pie crust

when you get that done, put the sheet into the microwave and cook it until it's no longer wet looking but not stiff as a board - estimate 3 minutes...+ -

pull it out of the microwave carefully and leave it flat on the counter until it's a bit cooler but still warm and workable

take a rolling pizza cutter and make even strips 1/2 " wide, then spin the paper and roll the other way also 1/2 "

wait till it's cool and separate your pieces - if you make a lot you can freeze the bulk

we keep a jar of them in the fridge, covered, as training treats