Another New One!

Guest buttonwillow

Guest buttonwillow

Hi,

Just adopted a lovely brindle greyhound on Saturday. Here are some pictures from the rescue; she seems less muscular now. We have named her Josie. She is an angel. Still spends a lot of time in her crate with the door open but is happy to go for walks and is perfect on the leash. Smart and pretty and ignores the cats (perfect for being so new to the house!). I am sure she will become more confident with time and her true personality will start to come out. She is sweet and shy at the moment.

I was surprised when she slept straight through the first night and the next day let us know by whining when she had to go out. She was also a pro with our flight of stairs from the start. She learned "wait" in two tries. She loves other dogs (i think she is a little lonely but tomorrow we have a walk date with a friend's dog, who i hope will become her friend) and is very polite with people as well. She sleeps most of the time and when she is awake, she likes to watch us from the comfort and security of her crate.

She has been fine so far when left alone, I have hidden and watched and she whines just a little then curls up and goes to sleep.

I have tasked the younger cat with teaching Josie to play and she is setting a fine example (by demonstration). When Josie is more comfortable with us she'll know how!

So - so far, so good!

Edited by buttonwillow

Guest buttonwillow

Thank you both! She is four.

I just found her at greyhound-data.com, she is on the internet already!

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=kiW9s0&d=crri+chips&x=0&y=0

Those pictures look more like her.

Aw, she has two brothers. I hope they are doing ok. And her nickname was Esther... how sweet... I just tried both out and she responds only to Josie.

This is the first time I have googled her, and I just went to the Operation Greyhound site, who originally rescued her I guess, and it says she was adopted out in March 2008 (more than two years ago!) and lives in San Diego. I got her from a different organization in Northern California and I live in San Francisco. I wonder what that means? Could she have had a different home who returned her?

.....edited.... researched a bit more and she raced up until May of this year. The rescue said she'd been off the track since 2009. Confusing! I will have to do more investigating. In any case, she is a sweetie and I feel very lucky to have her with us!

Edited by buttonwillow

Guest TeddysMom

Welcome to GT and congratulations on your new little girl, sounds like she is a perfect first greyhound. Welcome home Josie. :yay:confetti

Guest FreddyGirl

Welcome to GT from Long Island. :wave

Josie is gorgeous. If she is lonely, I know of a way to change that!!! LOL

CONGRATS!!! Josie is beautiful. And welcome to GT!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:confetti Welcome home Josie! And welcome to GT!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Congratulations and welcome to GT!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congrats. She's beautiful....and welcome from Rhode Island.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest buttonwillow

This dog is wonderful! I am so impressed with her. This morning on our early walk, she started to take off to meet another dog and I said, NO! and she instantly stopped and turned around and came back (just a foot or so as she was - of course - leashed), I was floored and praised her all to heck. Of course she will always be on a leash, no matter how good she is, for her own safety (unless I get rich and buy a ranch and put fencing all around and hire someone to check the fences every day - i'm sure it will happen, it's just a matter of time ;) ) but I am so proud of her!

And just now, I said "kennel" to her in the bedroom and she went right to her kennel in the living room and lay down. (I gave her some cheese right away). What a good, smart dog! I had no idea she knew that. I wonder what else she knows? I already knew she was smart!

Also I have found one of her littermates already! Maybe one day they can meet again.

She came to me for the first time for a head scratch this afternoon. :blush

I was so worried when I first adopted her that she would not be happy with me but I think it will work out fine. :colgate