Are Greyhounds Protective?

Guest RWM

I had a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday, who has five Rhodesian Ridgebacks, a breed not hugely dissimilar from a greyhound. He tells me that Rhodesians will protect their master. I'd like to know what the experience has been whether a greyhound will protect its master?

While I've never found myself in a position of needing protection or feeling threatened, I would doubt my two would intervene to protect me, but I'm not sure about that.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really feel like Carmen would. When people come over or to the door she gets very protective and stands between me and that person. She will bark and growl and really scares people. I don't really know what she would do if someone were trying to hurt me but I like to believe that she would step in. All the others would run and hide :lol

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest 4rooers

On walks, Oswald will stay between me and other dogs. Once a young GSD charged us and Oswald stayed between me and the other dog, never advancing but in a very protective stance. When the dog circled behind me, Oswald moved to block him. Luckily the owner called him back(she dropped her leash).Oswald also stays between me and any stranger until I tell him its ok. He's not a big boy(73 lb.) but he can be imposing.My son was staying with me a few years back and came in late one night. Rippa met him at the door growling. I woke up to hear my 6'4" 260 lb son whispering " Rippa, its me, your brother. Let me in".Rippa weighs about 56 lb. I live alone and find it kind of comforting.

Guest scfilby

Every dog is different, and I'm sure there are some protective greys.

If we needed protection from a loose aggressive dog, I believe that Mickey would attack, but Cy would not. If it were a person, I don't believe either pup would protect. Although Cy goes crazy and sounds like he is going to eat whoever is brave enough to come to our door, once we let the person in, Cy retreats and hides.

I see no similarity between Ridgebacks and Greyhounds. Other than they both have good eyesight!

However, despite what you might believe if you hang around here long enough, Greyhounds ARE actually DOGS, and I think any dog, given the right circumstance, might protect its master. Or not!

My last dog was a Pit Bull mix, and I always assumed if I was ever in need of protection, he'd step (he would have walked through fire for me--we were very close). Then one day it actually happened--a drunken fool tried to break my condo door down. As I stood there, paralyzed with fear, I looked over at Kramer, who also stood there, not paralyzed, but clearly not interested in doing anything.

Who was upset? Miss Parker! (See tri-colored cat in my signature). I thought she was going to fly at the door! Kramer the tough guy did nothing!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Patience

I agree that you can never be sure who'll be protective. I have two very shy greyhounds who avoid strangers as much as possible. Once, however, I took them to the park and we were watching some ducks in a stream. The dogs were just hanging out next to me and I wasn't paying much attention. Suddenly, both swung around and one of them barked once in a very low tone--some guy had silently come up behind us and both dogs put themselves between me and him. The guy seemed embarrassed, and said he was just trying to look at the dogs, but it WAS a little creepy. I was glad my dogs were creeped out, too!

Guest greytlady

I had a boyfriend come in late one night and while the other dogs could have cared less, Hardday rose slowly like he was being pulled up, with a very loud deep growl. Once he was spoken to he flopped back down, but he was very intimidating at first.

However, despite what you might believe if you hang around here long enough, Greyhounds ARE actually DOGS, and I think any dog, given the right circumstance, might protect its master. Or not!

Well, the question then becomes whether greyhounds, because of their normally docile, laid back nature, are more or less inclined to be protective? I certainly wouldn't put them in the category of a GSD, a Dobey, or a Rottweiler. And, typically, I don't think they're likely to be as protective as some other hounds, such as a Ridgeback. Now, I know of some teacup poodles that can be downright nasty when threatened! :)

Daisy will bark when someone is at the door. Snowy could care less. But I don't know if they'd intervene if things got dicey!

Edited by RWM

Guest Swifthounds

Once, long ago and far away before I knew better, we were at a dog park and a rottweiler came charging at my mom, who was standing chatting with another dog owner. Prancer, who was my natural alpha, was at the other side of the field, but apparently still had his watchful eye trained on the rest of the pack. He ran over, rushed between the dog and my nearly oblivious mom, with his teeth bared and quite the snarl. The rottie beat feat in the other direction and stayed away after that.

I have no doubt that my hounds would protect me and their pack.

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm just guessing here with mine, but if either of them were to be protective, it would more likely be Mirage than Piaget - Mirage is the one who will bark if someone's at the door. However, he's also the one who heads to his bed if someone unfamiliar comes in the house, so who knows? :dunno

I don't know, and I often wonder the same thing!

The only thing close to protecting me that has happened is that one time Toby and I were on our night time walk between 10:30 and 11:00pm. This was before we adopted Robin. Usually my husband goes with me but I was by myself that night. Our neighborhood is dark/no streetlights and if there's no moonlight it's really dark.

Anyway, he and I were walking along and all of a sudden he lets out 3 or 4 ferocious barks. It turns out it was another man from our neighborhood coming toward us;he was going on a night time walk, by himself.

Toby had seen him approaching, and I hadn't seen him at all til he barked and I was trying to see why he was so worked up.

If it would have been a bad guy, I think he would have helped protect me since he did such a good job of warning me that night! At least I like to think that!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

How we think they will react and how they actually will in a situation, is 2 competely different things.

By the looks of things, if anyone came near me, and I was not ok with it, Teddy would go after them, but who know if he REALLY would given the chance. Just becasue he bears teeth and growls & barks doesn't mean he would actually attack. I hope I never find out.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MyCody

All dogs are different, but when people have asked if they were good watch dogs, my answer is, they are very helpful, would point out where all the good stuff is kept and would hold the door open for anyone who broke in so they could carry all of our stuff out without hurting themselves. But you never know and I hope I never have to find out.

Guest greymama002

Pulsar is our most distinguished gentleman who loves every human, dog, etc he meets. But the first time we were out walking & approached by a certain loose dog, I was shocked to hear this very low deep growl coming from him! I believe that he perceived this particular dog as a threat and was protecting me. He has done it a few other times when a loose dog approaches, especially when we are walking at night, but if the dogs are on leashes with humans attached, he pays no attention to them at all. Once my husband was outside doing something in the yard when it was getting dark out, & the boys didn't recognize it was him and both ran to the door barking & growling. Again I think they were ready to protect me. I ws especially amazed at Ruffie, who's usually a big chicken who flees out of the room when the phone rings!

Guest EmbersDad

Hero seems more protective and does vocalize when some people come around. Althea does the same, but not to the same extent. I have never really been confronted so I really dont know what they would do.

Guest Bang_o_rama

At Christmas, Bang was very protective...of her crate when Gina's sister's Lab tried to go inside. Only time I have ever heard her snarl.

~D~

Guest gecko_foot

If anyone broke into my house I would hope and pray that the person is afraid of dogs. Besides giving an excited greyhound greeting, Tumnus would no more growl at a person than he would at a tree. If someone approaches us from behind on a walk, all Tumnus does is stare at them...like they're going to eat him. Fortunately, he's big enough that most people tend to be a little more cautious. He's certainly not a guard dog....

Guest Heehoo

I have had 2 that were very protective, Pegasus & Gogh. Its ironic that Gogh

was so protective since he was afraid of strangers. He would literally hide

behind me & peek out to see if anyone was near.

I fell in December of 2008 & broke my ankle, femur, 2 bones in my arm &

shattered my elbow. I had to drag myself from the living room to the kitchen

where my cell phone was on charge. The entire time, Gogh stood beside me.

I called a friend who came over & called 911 since my doors were deadbolted

& I didn't want the EMTs & fire department coming inside & letting the dogs

out the front door.

When she walked in Gogh growled, snarled & at one point lunged at her

until I could calm him down. My quiet, shy little baby boy protected his

momma.

So yeah, I'd say they are. Jack right now is my protector.

Edited by Heehoo

Guest Rethy

I am fairly sure mine would protect me if they believed I was threatened.

My roommate's girlfriend came by our house late one night. My roommate was dead asleep and didn't hear her. She ended up accidentally breaking our glass front door, cutting herself, and coming around back to my basement entrance to see if I could let her in. She was crying and didn't sound like herself at all. Plus it was a weird time - we don't usually entertain random visitors at 3am! Superman - my totally laid back mellow guy - made sounds like I had never heard him make before. Even when I opened the door and invited her in, she was afraid to come inside and I actually had to physically pull her into the room. I think if it had been an actual intruder, Superman would have gone for them. As it was, the noise he was making probably would have scared most people.

However, I think as much of the red flag was the non-routine occurrence. If someone broke a window and climbed in during the middle of the day when I wasn't home to give cues that it was a threat, they might just get a welcome party. :lol

ETA: Both have also growled at a stranger when we walk at night even though I have never seen either of them growl at a person during the day. Either way, they make me feel more comfortable about living alone.

Edited by Rethy

I doubt it and I prefer it that way. Any danger and I would prefer my dogs get the hell out of dodge.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest Wasserbuffel

When we got rushed by an off leash GSD (friendly, thankfully) on our walk, Jayne tried to bolt. Granted we only knew eachother for a couple months at the time, but I think the same would still apply even though our bond is stronger. Now when we walk in the area where the dog came at us, she insists on walking on the side of me away from the house the dog came from. Everywhere else she's more than happy to walk on my left.

I have no doubt that Heidi would be absolutely no help in the face of danger. In fact, she would probably trip me trying to get away. I would find her in the nearest corner pooing on the floor in fright. Of course, she is kind of spooky, so she probably isn't the best judge of the breed.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Guest krystolla

I think for Hack it would depend on where the incident happened. Outside the house he'll throw himself in front of me if he decides there is something dangerous (small children, basketball games . . . ). I have no doubt he'd do it for an actually dangerous person, and I know he can work up a reasonably threatening bark if he feels he needs to (another off-leash dog situation). I don't think he'd actually attack though. He'd run and expect me to keep up. :lol

Inside the house, the cats are top of the totem pole. I think Hack would retire to his kennel and wait for the "pack leaders" to do something about an intrusion. None of my current cats are particularly protective so they'd be hiding under the bed -- though my first kitty, now passed, was a pretty fierce guy when he felt he needed to protect me.

But that's what the alarm system is for, anyway. If someone is being aggressive enough to break into the house they probably are prepared for animal intervention and I'd rather my furkids were out of the way for that.

Guest PhillyPups

I sleep better at night knowing I will never be attacked by a wild turkey neck or chicken foot, they would take care of protecting me from that situation happily. :lol.

As far as fear of an intruder coming in, I live in the city, so have my 2 best friends, Smith & Wesson for protection they are close by, I also love the Phillies, so I keep a baseball bat nearby too.

I also am of the mindset that i would not want one of my dogs hurt protecting me. I lead my pack and protection is my job. But then, I am fairly fearless too. :lol