Is It Just Because I'm Hyper-Aware

It's probably the former, that I'm just noticing more b/c I'm going through it myself and because I spend lots of time hanging out in H&M, but it just seems to me like so many greys have been diagnosed with osteo in the last month or two. Is it just me, or is it more than usual?

Anyone care to do a roll call so we all know each other or is that too weird?

Jen (who obsesses about cancer and Neyla having cancer), Neyla (who doesn't know she has cancer or at least doesn't act like it :thumbs-up), and Zuri (just along for the ride at this point)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I thought that too Jenn when Jack was diagnosed. You will find yourself being hyperaware from here on in I'm afraid.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I thought the same thing when Cosmo was diagnosed last May. There's just too many cases of osteo all the time, I'm afraid. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Even before Diamond was Dx'd and I lost her, I was just waiting for an OS dog. Dr. Couto states that at least 25% of our greys will get OS. And since I hadn't had any (2 at the Bridge didn't have it and I had 4 living at the time), I was just waiting.

Alas, I wasn't kept waiting too much longer.

Yup, 1 in 4 will get it. When I had 4, Polli was chosen.

Now, I have 5 and I cringe.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I think it's both.

I recently watched Grey14me's pup, Holly, for a few weeks and decided that I was seeing a slight limp that could be cancer and blah, blah, blah. So I just had to get in touch with Michelle who was out of town and ruin the last day of her trip with the possible bad news and what should we do about it? My vet, her vet, should we wait, what about pain, and all that stuff. And I packed up all Onyx's unused remedies like Duralactin and Milk Thistle and details of the pain meds that did and didn't work. So Holly goes back with a big cancer care package and my list of questions for Michelle to ask the vet.

Turns out it was nothing. :blush

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

I think we also tend to see an increase in osteo diagnoses in the spring, when the weather gets warmer.

When it's still cold weather, we all want to attribute limps and stiffness to arthritis and cold-weather aches. And since osteo often doesn't show on early x-rays, that delays the diagnoses even longer.

But then the weather warms up, the limp doesn't go away, and the repeated x-rays confirm everyone's worst fears...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It DOES seem like there are a lot right now...Sutra included :(

I'm sure we're slightly hyper-aware, but...there are 4 that I know of...Sutra, Neyla, Dexter, and Sherman. I may have missed some. That's a lot. Plus Marx dealing with his cancer of a different kind...it's just too much.

I have always known that the odds were stacked against me...when you have many dogs, that's just the way it is. But, 2 of my 4 greyhounds have a form of cancer...Sutra with the osteo, Ace with the leukemia. Not cool.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

when emily was diagnosed my daughter looked up the odds-20%....pretty high. we were devistated by the stats along w/ the prospect of loosing our gal. i didn't want to get another grey....then along came annie. hopefully she will be in the 80% with out. it's a depressing stat and reading all the experiences of members of g/t seems to amplify the situation.