More Surgery For Bailey

Could you spare some positive thoughts for iggy Bailey, who is having surgery tomorrow a.m? Bailz is now 16, and if the surgery weren't truly necessary I would not even consider it, but it's essential.

He had dental surgery about a month or 2 ago, when several teeth were extracted and vet used a flap to cover a fistula that had opened between the oral cavity and the sinus. He did very well, and came bouncing out the office by noon. He was able to eat pretty normally until about 2 wks ago. He started violently sneezing after eating (even soft foods) and I knew the fistula had re-opened. But it was worse than expected. His upper palate has eroded (from the site of his extracted canines to the front of the palate) and is wide open -- whatever he eats is shooting right up to his sinuses. Vet doesn't know why this occurred -- possibly chronic bone infection, possibly something more ominous.

So tomorrow morning, she's doing surgery to try to cover his palate with soft tissue flaps so he can eat normally without contaminating the sinuses. The other option is to bring him to a surgeon for bone grafts and reconstruction, but this is far too invasive for my 16 yo Bailz. I don't want to put him through this type of major surgery. And, with his murmur, any anesthesia is risky. So vet will biopsy the area, and try to use flaps to close off the palate. If the biopsy is not good, we'll deal with it at that time.

Please keep Bailz in your thoughts tomorrow, and send along some "benign biopsy" vibes.

thanks

Jordan

--

(Trying to pick up a babe)

679231952805_0_ALB.jpg

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Wishing you good luck Bailz...I mean at the doctor's office. You obviously already have good luck with the ladies. :wub:

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

More good thoughts for Bailey. I hope his surgery goes well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you, everybody! Your healing thoughts and prayers did it. :)

He was in and out quickly. The flap procedure went as well as it could - the defect was large and pretty grody. We hope that the flap will stay in place. He tolerated surgery and anesthesia without a problem. Because he was first on the schedule, my vet figured I would just wait, so I did. I was handed a flaccid little lump wrapped in his blankies at about 10am. (Only kidding - he was awake, just a little stoned.)

We got home, he stood on his feet, and when I fed the others, he wanted to eat too, so he had a jar of baby meat. He'll be eating only pureed from now on - nothing crunchy or sharp that could damage the flap. My puree-er is warmed up and ready to go.

The biopsy results will be back next week and we're hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. The goal is to keep Bailey comfortable, happy, eating, and enjoying life. Bailey has been with me for 13 years. Anything he wants, he gets, and nothing he does is wrong in my eyes. As I've always said, he's my little King of Tinkle.

Snoozing a few minutes ago...

bailznap.jpg

I'm glad your baby is back home with you. Hugs and best hopes for quick healing and a comfy future.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:clap :clap :clap Glad to hear he's back home in your arms.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Jordan,

Just seeing this now, I am so glad to hear that Bailey made it through the surgery and is home sleeping. Prayers being sent your way that the biopsy comes back clean. What a sweet face he has :wub:

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Just seeing this and praying for the best outcome. He's a doll!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Bailey (in between snores) thanks you all for caring about him.

I went downstairs a little while ago to grab a snack. Bailey woke up long enough to follow me downstairs (he's still a bit spacey). I asked him if he wanted a little baby food and I got a tiny little wag -- and he snarfed down 2 jars. :) He needs it. He's lost about 2.5 lbs in the past couple of months. Luckily he had a little weight to spare, and now he's down to fighting weight.

He looks so darn cute...best wishes for Bailey and a quick recovery!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.