How To Keep Mirage Upright At Bathtime?

Guest PiagetsMom

Guest PiagetsMom

This seems like a simple question that may not really have an answer to it, but I'll ask anyways - maybe someone will have a suggestion......

We have a shower stall with a removable shower head that is ideal for bathing the pups, but Mirage is one of those pups who gets VERY relaxed during a bath. For that matter, he gets very relaxed while being brushed, too. I gave him a shower this morning and I spent 99% of the time just trying to keep him from falling over or lying down. I know that sometimes it's the warm water, and I try to keep it on the cool side to help out, but I think it's also the "massage" affect of bathing that practically puts him to sleep.

I've seen this mentioned here before, but I don't really remember if there's a solution for it. I don't want him to hurt himself, and for myself, by the time I'm through I'm exhausted blink.gif

Any suggestions on how to better handle a practically comatose pup during bathtime?

Guest PiagetsMom

I wish it were that easy for us.......I've taken to keeping the water on the "cool" side, but it doesn't seem to help. I've always had this problem with Mirage to some extent, but the last couple of baths have been a real challenge!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

maybe just wash the side that is "up" then flip him like a pancake and wash the other side? :colgate

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

There might be something you could buy from a place that sells grooming supplies. Or maybe you could get a harness and find a way to clip it to something overhead to help keep him upright. I don't know what your setup is but maybe something like that would help.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

If you're bathing during the summer, try taking pupper outside (on leash -- even if you have a fenced yard 'cause they WILL try to escape) and bathing out there. I fill a bunch of cheap 5-gallon buckets partway with hot tap water and top them off with the hose out back; or just fill them with the hose and let them sit in the sun for a bit to take the chill off. Butter dish or an old (larger) yogurt container for a water scoop. Nobody has ever gotten rubber-kneed during an outdoor bath.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PiagetsMom

Batmom, really good suggestion! It's just now getting warm enough to bathe them outside, so next time I'm definitely going to try the water jugs. Usually we can only get 1/2 way through a bath before the hose water cools too much, especially when I'm trying to bathe both of them, but warm water jugs would take care of that.

DH travels a lot, so while it would be easier to have his help, that's not always possible unless I just want to wait for him to be here and hope the weather cooperates. Washing the dogs is kind of like jean shopping for me - I have to wake up in the right mood to do it! wink.gif

I don't think Mirage would run from a bath, but as soon as we'd get done he'd be rolling in the dirt rolleyes.gif , so I'll keep a leash in mind. Maybe there would be enough going on outside that it would keep him occupied enough to stay awake.

Guest tinams8

What happens if you fill the tub a few inches?

I had no idea some dogs did this. 90% of giving a bath is managing to keep the dog in the tub around here. And then when it's finally over she acts like she is being chased by the devil, running around slamming into walls. :lol

I have seen it suggested here before to smear some peanut butter on the tile/shower wall at the height where you need the pup to stand. They will be busy licking it off while you are taking care of the bath. Have not tried it myself, but it sounds reasonable that it would work.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I like Batmom's outdoor bathing idea for the summer and I may just give that a try this year. The easy cleanup alone would be wonderful!

Piper is not a happy bather. I have to hoist him into the tub and then the moment any water touches him--no matter how cool it is--his legs appear to turn to rubber and he settles gently into an inert blob on the tub mat. I generally manage to soap him up and rinse him off by just sticking my hand under him and lifting just a bit at each "portion" until the job is done. When I turn the water off he manages to get to his feet so I can help him out of the tub.

He is actually easier to manage than Spirit, who spends his bath time vigorously trying to get out of the tub. :rolleyes:

-Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest PiagetsMom

Never would have thought about smearing peanut butter, but if push comes to shove when I have to bathe indoors, I might try it - food works for everything else with Mirage!

I don't know if something "uncomfortable" on the floor would stop him or not.......it's almost as if he doesn't have any control over whether he can stand up or not. I know it may sound like an exaggeration, but you'd really have to see it to believe how really out of it it makes him.

I don't usually bathe the pups more than every 3 or 4 months or so, so thankfully most of the time here I could probably do it outdoors if Batmom's suggestion works any better. Thanks for the replies and suggestions smile.gif

In the summer we bathe outside too (bathe Opie I mean!) We have a kiddy pool, that we put a few inches of warm water in, and then use that as the outdoor bathtub. We have a long hose that we connect to the kitchen sink, and run outside through the slider doors, so we have warm water to bathe him. Its a lot easier than being inside, and a lot less mess!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I'd probably use flat out cold water- not FREEZING, but cool. And, the outside bath could work too :) Mine swim in the salt water almost every day in summer, so are constantly getting rinsed with cold hose water.

I bathe my 2 out in the back yard with a garden hose. I pick a nice hot day, put a leash on them so they don't walk away from me and bathe them ( yard is fenced in) after they are rinsed off, I unclip the leash and they do zoomies and spin dry smile.gif

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest jaws4evr

Could you put an old blanket or little area rug on the bottom of the tub, and let him lay down in comfort? You might have to wash his belly really fast before he goes down though :)

The first time I gave George a bath I thought I had killed him when he slid to the bottom of the tub!!!

Glad to know he's not the only one.

I just keep the water cool now, and move FAST! Their fur is so short it doesn't take long.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck