Deramax Alternatives?

I just paid $90 for 20 deramax pills. On top of the new food, cosequine, tramadol, thyroid meds...we really can't afford to keep paying that much a month.

Any suggestions? Rimadyl is out due to previous bad experience.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Did you buy it from the vet?

I get mine at www.omahavaccine.com

I buy the HUGE bottle of it, and it's $235, but that's for 90 100 mg. chewables. My dog gets a half a pill per day.

They're very good, but you DO need a prescription. If your vet won't price match, ask him to write you a script or ask Omaha to contact your vet and request one.

And P.S. Did your vet sell you the Tramadol? Tramadol is not an expensive drug. Get a prescription and have it filled at the drug store. I take that myself and have for ages.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thanks. We might be able to swing it at that price. I do get tramadol from Target, but with that, his soloxine, the new food is going to be $60/month...

ETA: Has anyone used meloxicam? We could very easily afford that through Target.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Meloxicam (Metacam) is a $4 generic at Walmart & Kroger, likely other places as well. Tramadol is a $4 generic also. And so is gabapentin, used for nerve pain from LS. As a result Luke's triple combo is just $12/mo.

Meloxicam is a good drug. In the trials it had less adverse reactions as far as kidney & liver over the older NSAIDs like Rimadyl & Deramaxx, though it has a lower GI tolerance level. Despite that we have had several dogs on it over the years without GI issues. It is worth a try.

We're going with Meloxicam. Vet is pitching a fit about the dose being slightly too high (the 7.5mg you get from Target/Walmart, divided in half.) Thoughts?

Honestly, I love my vet, she's fantastic about anethesia concerns, etc., great with dentals, surgery, general stuff, but I've had it with pushing stuff now that she works at a VCA practice.

We really got into it about Science Diet j/d (joint food). I refuse to feed a food that has corn as its primary ingredient (which ups the Omega 6s which cause inflamation anyway), found one with similar levels of Omega 3s (Evo Herring and Salmon which I like) but she wouldn't stop pushing the Science Diet. This is not the first time since joining this practice she's pushed Science Diet. Now I'm questioning whether her judgement is compromised or I'm being a pain in the butt, or I suppose, both.

I gave Kenny. my eternal greyhound mix foster 1/2 of a 7.5 mg for well over a year with no ill effects before he went to the bridge. He weighed about 65 pounds. Not sure how much Patrick weighs but it doesn't sound like a high dose for a male greyhound.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I have mine on Meloxicam and the vet wanted mine on 3.75 mg. I got it a Target and figured out I couldn't split the pill evenly so I had it compounded at a pharmacy down in Stanton on Rt. 4.

They compounded it to 7.5mg = 1 cc. It's very easy to pull up whatever dose you need this way and squirt it in their mouth. Feel free to PM me if you want more info about this and I can give you the exact name and number of the pharmacy.

Kathy

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

If you want more Omega 3's, just add fish oil! There's no reason at all to feed a different food.

I've found good uses for several of the prescription foods (including some that others poo-poo), but the J/D is not one of them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Rimadyl is out due to previous bad experience

Then deramaxx should be out too. They are both NSAIDs. I wouldn't use any NSAID.

The Rimadyl is out due to a weird mental reaction, not a typical NSAID problem. Deramax has been fine for a month or two, so I'm not too worried about the NSAID's in general, although I would prefer not to use them long term. I'm still hoping with the diet/supplement change he won't need them long term, but right now he's in a lot of pain, although improving rapidly with the meloxicam.

I have mine on Meloxicam and the vet wanted mine on 3.75 mg. I got it a Target and figured out I couldn't split the pill evenly so I had it compounded at a pharmacy down in Stanton on Rt. 4.

They compounded it to 7.5mg = 1 cc. It's very easy to pull up whatever dose you need this way and squirt it in their mouth. Feel free to PM me if you want more info about this and I can give you the exact name and number of the pharmacy.

Kathy

Thanks, if you could send me the number I'd appreciate it.

The compounding pharmacy I use for my rabbit's meds (meloxicam, ironically) are willing to compound for us, but it would be about 10x the Target price, I'd rather not due that unless it's necessary, but maybe your place would be more affordable.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, it's the Stanton Discount Pharmacy and the number is 999-0131. I get my prescription for $10; it's 20 pills compounded in to 20cc and each pill is 7.5mg.

Kathy

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Meloxicam (Metacam) is a $4 generic at Walmart & Kroger, likely other places as well. Tramadol is a $4 generic also. And so is gabapentin, used for nerve pain from LS. As a result Luke's triple combo is just $12/mo.

Meloxicam is a good drug. In the trials it had less adverse reactions as far as kidney & liver over the older NSAIDs like Rimadyl & Deramaxx, though it has a lower GI tolerance level. Despite that we have had several dogs on it over the years without GI issues. It is worth a try.

Is this like the liquid Metacam 1.5 mg Oral Suspension I just purchase at the vet for an arm and a leg?

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Yep, the compounding pharmacist told me that it is the same strength in the pill form, ml for mg.

Ironically, I pay $35/month for .15mg of a weaker form for my rabbit--but there's no other way to buy that.