Florida Thunderstorms

Guest 1of42

Guest 1of42

For those of you with greyhounds who live in Florida, is there still the frequent problem of them being terrified of thunderstorms? We have storms so often here that I just wonder how they can not be exposed to them when they are being raised (in racing kennels or whatnot). It seems that wherever you are in this state, thunderstorms are a way of life, but is it just that the greys aren't used to being without other greyhounds during the storms that gets them frantic in people's homes or what?

Guest BorzoiMom

I had a cat that was thunder/fireworks phobic. When we moved to Tampa she spent most afternoons under the bed. As the season progressed she got used to it and was better. Had to start all over again when the next season started but the point is with daily exposure she acclimated. Maybe do a Google search for thunderstorm CD/DVDs and play them on low sound for a while and gradually increase the sound level so she adjusts to it.

Hello from Miami! Wendy is sensitive to thunder and lightning, fireworks, etc. What has worked well with her is giving high value treats each time there is a "boom" and speaking to her in a high-pitched, happy voice. This seems to reassure her that everything's o.k.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Energy11

We have TWO who are thunder-phobic, but Cari is THE WORST!!!

When I lived in Central Florida (UGH) my vet/employer, prescribed Valium for my two. My vet up here in the N. GA Mountains has done the same. IF I know severe weather is coming, I give the Valium, 5 mg. RESCUE REMEDY drops also help, for a "quick fix!"

You gotta love Florida ... NOT! But really, THIS "Spring" the weather is HOT and HORRIBLE almost everywhere!sad.gif

Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

Wikipedia has declared the Tampa Bay area the lightning capitol of N. America.One dog who raced here at Derby heads to the closet and shakes until it's over even on melatonin. The other guy wants to go run in the rain. Our huge firework displays on the waterfront is just as bad but it's predictable and arrangements for cuddling can be made. Our do it yourself neighbors managed to take 2 weeks hammering down a new roof.sheer misery. Now they are doing siding!Think it's time to sail to Key West.

Guest mrs

Has anyone tried the thunder shirts? Wondering if anyone has had success with them. My grey is fine during storms but my doxie shakes and hides and I've been considering getting one for him.

''

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I have no dogs that even react to it or notice it, however, it is a big problem for many. When I get a dog, I make sure they don't have thunder phobia, as much as possible. I also do not react to it. I still go to the park, etc. I have a loud box fan in my bedroom where we hang out much of the time (computer is in here :lol ) and so often neither they nor I even hear it. I cannot sleep without the fan, so it has many uses!

We've never dealt with it before, so this will be the first experience this summer.

Wayne will NOT be happy, and I'm not sure about Lenny. As for Ekko, the world could come to an end and she wouldn't even raise her head :rolleyes:

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest twogreytkids

Three of my greyhounds are from Florida. Only one has thunder-phobia. I give him a Happy Traveler pill about thirty minutes before a storm and he goes into the bedroom and sleeps through it all.

Marcy

I've always wondered that! 'Cause I'm guessing the kennel keepers don't race out to the track kennels to comfort the dogs every time there is a storm! Do they freak out and just have no where to GO, or do they not freak out 'cause there's no one there to say, "Now now, it's all right"???

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest widowcali

When I lived there, Widow would stay in the bathroom until the storm was over. Poor baby was shaking, shivering, whimpering, and just plain terrified.

Yet they both slept thru hurricanes! Go figure.

Guest gecko_foot

For those of you with greyhounds who live in Florida, is there still the frequent problem of them being terrified of thunderstorms? We have storms so often here that I just wonder how they can not be exposed to them when they are being raised (in racing kennels or whatnot). It seems that wherever you are in this state, thunderstorms are a way of life, but is it just that the greys aren't used to being without other greyhounds during the storms that gets them frantic in people's homes or what?

I don't actually live in Florida, but Tumnus raced and lived with a foster family there before I adopted him. Since I got him in January, he has been exposed to several storms (not as many as you get in Florida) but hasn't shown any anxiety whatsoever. Tumnus doesn't even bother to wake up half of the time, and he's an only dog. On the other hand, my mother's Australian shepherd is neurotic when it comes to storms - shaking, whining, the whole nine yards - and she has lived with them since she was a puppy. :dunno

Two of mine are Florida bred, born and raised. And they are developing a "sensitivity" to thunder storms. If we are home, we simply keep an eye on them and let them work it out. As of now, Dessie just pants some while Disco gets up, hide behind Danger and pant. We ignore them, yet we are aware of what they are doing and how intense they are becoming.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest 4dogscrazy

Has anyone tried the thunder shirts? Wondering if anyone has had success with them. My grey is fine during storms but my doxie shakes and hides and I've been considering getting one for him.

''

The last storm we had, I put one of my 12 year old daughter's t-shirts on Piper and it seemed to help. She actually laid down, instead of standing in the middle of the room and panting at me. She is not a serious case, doesn't hide really, but she shakes and stands and stares at me. I don't react, or cuddle her, I do try to ignore her. She did not sleep while the storm was going on, but she laid down on a dog bed which I considered a success. The storm was not that bad, we've had much worse, but hey at least I know it works during a mild thunderstorm! Good luck!

Edited by 4dogscrazy

Well I've just been introduced into the world of thunderphobes. My newest, Jade is terribly thunderphobic.

I have a dog door. (and two others in the house).

She went out in the middle of the night and jumped the fence. I didn't know until 8 AM the next day when I got a phone call that they had my dog. (I was up until 1 AM trying to make sure she didn't do something stupid. I left her asleep on the sofa when it seemed the storm had passed)

I work all day. Closing off the dog door is not a reality. Not with a 14.5 yr old needing to go out. And I don't want my dogs to "hold it" for close to 12 hrs. That's cruel.

And giving meds isn't practical. They'll probably wear off by the time an afternoon storm hits.

So, if I can't find something to help her out, she goes back to the group. That's going to break my heart since she's been helping me get over the death of Pearl and Diamond recently.