Dana Provost's Cartier

Yesterday was supposed to be an exciting day for Cartier. He was a finalist in the "Polished Pooch" contest out in NV where Dana lives, and indeed he even won the title! But as she put it, it was a bittersweet day for both of them:

He wasn't feeling well, and when she brought him to the vet, they discovered he was in renal failure. He's in hospital on IV fluids, and also ampicillin/doxycycline, as Suzanne Stack told Dana his symptoms (and the literally overnight onset) sound as if he might have lepto. Just heard back:

... they have him on IV fluids and doxy and ampicillin which are treatments for the Lepto. So, he rested the night and I received a call from the vet this morning to say he was very bright eyed and looked like he wanted to eat. So, I'm leaving work early this pm to get him a chicken breast to see if he'll eat for me. I get in the cage with him and visit for a while. He is strong and I really feel that this may be what he has and that he will come out of it.

The greyter the prayer circle the better the healing will be. I have made arrangements to leave work at 3:00 pm each day to go and see my boy and see if he'll eat from my hands as he did last week. Suzanne said that even though his BUN and creatine levels were really bad, she said that just having the antibiotics and IV fluids in him a 1/2 day and all night, does wonders and that he will be feeling better soon. I just pray that it is Lepto and not the other, but if it is the other, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Prayers, loving and healing thoughts are appreciated. :hope:candle I'll post any updates Dana sends.

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I can't believe this. We have been writing back and forth about the contest he just won. All the strongest prayers heading his way.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Prayers from LI too, I will drop her an email.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Geez... :( Holding Cartier in my prayers, surrounded by healing light for his highest good. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest tricolorhounds

Oh NO!!!

Come on Cartier, you've got to get better. You've come so far already... all the way from Guam. I remember the day I picked your most handsome self up at LAX and brought you south for GAC, I cried all the way home after dropping you off for the last leg of the GUR. You were in such sad shape. I then watched as you gained weight, your wounds healed and we cat tested you. I was so happy the day you were adopted... and now to win the Most Polished Pooch contest. Your life had sure changed for the better.

Sending tons of healing thoughts for a speedy recovery :grouphug

Lynnet

Come on Cartier, you can pull through!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Update from Dana:

I already heard from Noni Davis who was one of the rescuers in Guam. His vet hopes that is what it is the Lepto. Dr. Patton is concerned because he does not want to eat. I am taking off at 3 PM everyday. I spent 3 hours with him this afternoon. We went on a couple of short walks to get his circulation going. I gave him a head to toe body massage and I cuddled with him telling him he is strong and he needs to get better so he can come home and be with me and his brother and sisters. He drank a lot for me tonight and kept it down. They are going to try to syringe some food with him tomorrow and I'm going to make a chicken breast for him to see if he will eat it. I bought a plain breast of chicken from hamburger place but he wouldn't eat tonight for me either. Dr. Patton said it is good for me to be with him and they don't care how long I stay. His albumin level went down today but his hydration levels have gone up considerably. I do hope he eats soon my poor boy. <snip> I miss my boy. But he is in good hands with Dr. Patton. The vet and his staff are so good to me and the support staff are so greyt. Cartier has a lot of people all over starting a circle of energy to help him to recovery. And I talked to him the whole 3 hours. The vet techs said he looks so relaxed and bright when I come and be with him. He helps my heart too.

I know so many of you have your failproof "I don't wanna eat" yummy foods that you pull out of your arsenal for a sick dog. If you can send them to Dana or to me, I'll forward them on to her. Thank you!! My e-mail is greyhndz @ comcast . net

And here are some photos from the "Polished Pooch" contest which Cartier WON! just hours before he became very ill. What a handsome, elegant boy. Keep those prayers and healing thoughts coming... Dana is very grateful and knows they will help Cartier heal.

CartierPolishedPooch.jpg

cartier.jpg

Edited by greyhndz

Adding prayers and just hoping for Cartier to heal, what a handsome boy.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Oh, crap. Tons of prayers and healing energy from Camp Greyhound for you, baby.

greyhndz, I am PM'g you some recipes. bighug.gif Thank you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest greytbookert

Sending many good thoughts and prayers.

As for the tricks for geting hounds to eat. WE've always had good luck with green tripe

Edited by greytbookert

When Suze went into ARF in Feb, 09, she was really close to checking out. The Vets weren't so concerned about her appetite as they were about making sure that her urine output was in proportion to her intake, the urine was concentrated and her blood chemistry - she had no platelets among many other things that were off the charts. She was given Cerenia the entire six days she was at the E-Vet because lack of appetite which is classic with ARF. She did eat some prescription ID after the first 24 hours, but wasn't too crazy about the liver diet to which she was switched shortly afterward. When the canned k/d was introduced, she was much happier and ate an acceptable amount. All in all, she ended up losing about 4 pounds through the whole ordeal, which I thought wasn't bad at all.

When Nikki was at the end of her battle with lymphosarcoma, the only thing that she ate was raw, ground venison. Several people I know have had success with venison, too, both cooked and raw.

I sincerely hope that Cartier gets a dx - never were able to get one for Suze. Will be sending many prayers from all of us here because we know exactly what you are going through.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Linda. I'm going to send your post to Dana. I haven't gotten an update yet this evening, but she's probably still snuggling with Cartier.

May I just say that renal failure can biteme.gif? I also feel for Dana, having gone through chronic renal insufficiency and then renal failure with my heart-iggy Lexi. It's a very precarious disease, and it doesn't take much to cause the pup to crash and burn. I do hope, if it is lepto, that his ARF is completely reversible. But if they're able to get him stabilized with diuresis, there are many things Dana can do to keep his renal function controlled, and I'm sure if the vets recommend sub-Q fluid, she'll dive right in and do it.

Dana, being the ever-doting mom, sent along some photos of Cartier that appeared in a Guam newspaper (I don't remember if I mentioned that he's a Guammie):

1st article

2nd article