Hello From Westchester County

Guest Fluffy

Guest Fluffy

Hello all! I'm Karen (though I also answer to "Fluffy") and I just joined today, although I've been obsessively reading this forum for months in preparation for getting my first grey (who is also my first dog). I am a research assistant for a living, which means that being obsessive about details and collating data for fun like this are just part of the job!

Last Saturday, April 10th, I finally got my wish and brought home Red Badge, a two-year-old red boy who I am calling Badger. He was adopted through Greyhound Friends of NJ, who have been great. I went to their adoption day thinking I would probably pick a small black female, but once I was there I just kept coming back to Badger no matter how many other dogs I met. So now I have a 75lb male who could still stand to put on 5 pounds or so!

Here is Badger grinning after a walk:

4527324040_ccb12e6b16_m.jpg

He's been with me almost a week now, and I think he's finally starting to settle in and get the hang of this home-living thing. I'm getting play bows and bouncing happiness out of him now, whereas in the first few days he...slept in his crate. And also slept in his crate. And ate, and then went back to his crate to sleep. After a few days of wondering if I was doing things all wrong, I was ridiculously excited when he actually came to me tonight, demanding scritches! He loves his stuffing-less squeaky fox and has a passion for peanut butter (but hey, who doesn't?).

I've been tracking down what I can on his past, using greyhound-data.com. So far, I know he is part of a litter born to Drew Barry and Be My Bubba in July, 2007, and I know he ran 19 times and won 3 races. I think he raced in Birmingham, AL, but I'm not sure - I just know that's where the transport he came to the GFNJ kennel on was from. I'd love hear about what his life would have been like before he came to me and to hear from anyone who owns siblings, ancestors, etc. I'd also love to hear about any dog-useful places in (especially northern) Westchester County - I know Peekskill has a dog park, for example, but I don't know if it's likely to be a safe place to take my guy. I'd dearly love to find a safely-fenced area, doesn't have to be a dog park, that would let me let Badger off leash to run in mad circles every now and then.

Anyway, to make a long story short ("too late!"), hi! Nice to meet you all!

Guest Gretchen

Congrats... and Welcome!!! :confetti

He is a handsome boy.

When I picked out Calvin, I thought for sure I'd have a red or tan boy that was outgoing...

I ended up with my sweet laid back, black/tuxedo boy.

It's true how they say the dog picks you. He just gave me these eyes that with out a doubt melted my heart. :ghplaybow

Welcome to GT and congratulations!! I live in Iowa but my family is in Orange County and I visit there for a couple of weeks twice a year (with my greyhound, of course!).

The hounds I know who have Be My Bubba as a daddy are really sweet. Check out Houndstooth4 and her Tails and Tales blog http://houndstooth4.blogspot.com/, starring Bunny, a half-sister of Badger's.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Welcome from LI ! There are several greyhound events coming up in the near future within a 50 mile radius of where you are, I hope to meet you.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Welcome from PA. Your new boy is just gorgeous! My DH and I are originally from Westchester County, Mamaroneck and Harrison,

respectively.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Welcome from across the river - I lived in Croton-on-Hudson for a couple of years. welcome.gif

Badger is gorgeous! Congrats! confetti.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Welcome Karen & Badger!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Red Badger ran way more than 19 races. He ended his career at B'ham but started at Lincoln with a trip to Victoryland in between.

Here ya go. Greyhound data is nowhere near a complete data base.

http://www.trackinfo.com/greymatter/

Where it says dog name over to the left, type in Red Badger. All his races will come up.

Edited by gazehund

Guest FreddyGirl

Welcome Karen. A family member of mine lives on Trolley Rd. in Cortlandt Manor. Would be rather funny if you were "down the block from her."

Guest greymama002
:welcome Your Badger is a stunning boy and looks very happy!I'm eager to hear more more as his personality unfolds! Best wishes and welcome to life graced by a greyhound!

Guest Fluffy

Red Badger ran way more than 19 races. He ended his career at B'ham but started at Lincoln with a trip to Victoryland in between.

Where it says dog name over to the left, type in Red Badger. All his races will come up.

Oh wow, thank you gazehund! Not the prettiest interface, but yeah, looks like he definitely ran more than 19! Is there a key somewhere to help me decipher what each of the columns in that listing means? The date column is obvious, and I guess BM is Birmingham, but the rest is pretty opaque to someone not well-versed in racing...

Congratulations on adopting Badger.

To give you little more background, he actually ran at Lincoln, Victoryland and B'ham a total of 61 times. Lincoln was one of our better tracks and he had trouble there and couldn't get out of maiden and was moved to VL. He only ran a few times there and was moved to B'ham.

He wasn't a very good breaker, but, at times he would finish and either win or be in the money.

Not all tracks report to GD and there is a second site called greymatter that sometimes has more information. On GreyMatter if you click on Dog/Raceline Viewer and then type your pups name in you can see his lines.

Dick

I guess I type to slow. LOL

Edited by dmdsmoxie

Guest Fluffy

Welcome Karen. A family member of mine lives on Trolley Rd. in Cortlandt Manor. Would be rather funny if you were "down the block from her."

Just looked it up...Trolley Rd looks to be about 10 minutes from me. I'm back off Croton Ave, myself. But what a small world!

Is there a key somewhere to help me decipher what each of the columns in that listing means? The date column is obvious, and I guess BM is Birmingham, but the rest is pretty opaque to someone not well-versed in racing...

After the date is the race he was in N = Night and X = matinee

The code for the track. BM B'ham, VL Victoryland and LI Lincoln

Then the distance of the race. 5/16ths of a mile

The track condition. F = fast, M = Mud S = Slow

The winning time

Your dogs weight for this race

The numbers in bold is the race

1st number is the box he was in

2nd number is his position at the break as the box opens

3rd number is his position as he heads down the backstretch, if he was in the lead there will be a number that shows how many lenghts he was in front

4th number is his position as he rounds the last turn heading for the finish line, again if he is in front there is another number telling how many lenghts he is in front

5th number is where he finished in the race and the follong number is how many lenghts behind the winner he was. If he won the race that number is how far in front of the 2nd place dog he was.

Next is his time of the race.

Then the odds he went off at

Next is the comment as far as how he ran in the race.

Then the grade of the race. At B'ham they would be A,B,C,D,E The SC is a mixed grade race. You can only mix from one grade lower so those races had C and D dogs in them

Then the first three dogs in order of finish. If your dog is in the first 3 they don't put him in and they put the 4th place finisher in.

There is a lot here and I hope it helped a little.

Dick

Hello and welcome! I've got a Badger too, and his favorite nap spot is the couch. Actually, it's now known as "Badger's couch" and is covered with a regular sheet in the warmer months and a flannel sheet in the cooler (well, for California!) ones. Wishing you many happy years with your Badger!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl.