Nina Fell Down The Stairs!

Guest mpportraits

Guest mpportraits

Hi all,

So I picked up our new girl Saturday. She was super shedding and my hubby is allergic, so I thought a bath would be great. Started to take her up the stairs only to realize she didn't know what they were. Frank and I carefully got her upstairs after Phoebe demonstrated a couple of times. Well, after the bath, Nina got ahead of me and took the worst tumble down the stairs! She landed on her side w/legs in the air. She got right up and walked down the last 3, from the landing she fell too. Frank & I were paniced, kids were crying, we checked her out and all seemed fine. Then, today she is struggling to get up. While running with Phoebe outside her back legs gave out. I called our peeps out here and they suggested calling the vet and anti inflammatories. Tried the vet, had to leave a message. Gave her an anti inflammatory and she is much more peaceful but now I just feel like an AHOLE!!! Like I'm the worst greyhound mommie out there! Poor girl, she's 9 years old!!! I hope I haven't harmed her. Please keep Nina in your prayers.

Feel better Nina

Hopefully you'll reach your vet in the am, I'm guessing she will need an anti inflammatory for a couple of weeks and it's best to have the vet take a good look at her

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Feel better Nina

Hopefully you'll reach your vet in the am, I'm guessing she will need an anti inflammatory for a couple of weeks and it's best to have the vet take a good look at her

I totally agree!

Best to have her looked at asap, just to be sure, based on her age and the amount of stairs she fell down.

Hope she feels better SOON!

Dogs do the darnedest things sometimes, despite all our care and precautions. Hopefully she is just very very sore. Keep us posted, OK?

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When Betsy (then 6 1/2) had been home for about a week, she went down an entire flight of stairs on her side--she didn't realize that the ledge she stepped on wasn't wide enough; I did but couldn't save her.

Sometimes, no matter how careful you try to be, bad things happen.

I hope the vet doesn't find anything wrong, and that she feels better very soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh, poor girl! I hope she is just sore. Hopefully just some anti inflammatories (make sure you read up on the safety precautions regarding Rimadyl, etc...) and rest, and she will be good as new. Definately keep us posted! Oh, and maybe try a harness for the next time you try stair training; you can use it like a "handle" to guide her down the stairs. Good luck!

Guest mpportraits

Hi guys! Thank you for all the well wishes! Here's what's transpired. I took her to her crate last night and her back legs gave out again, so I carried her to her crate. I have some anti inflammatories from a very sweet vet, that are very safe, so I gave her one and she seemed to rest better. This morning, she just would not move from her crate spot. I laid in there with her and rubbed her head. I gave her another anti inflammatory in between frantic calls to the vet. Then, I noticed his hours start at 9 (6 min and counting) He's a "traveling" vet, so I'm hoping he drives his butt over here asap since he lives less than 10 miles from me!!! After about an hr. after the pill, I helped Nina to get up and outside and she seems to be walking much better today. She went the bathroom (both!) so I was pleased. She ate all her breakfast and drank some water and now she's plooped onto poor Phoebe's bed. Phoebe is laying on her other bed next to her, keeping watch I think ;) I'll let you know as soon as my vet sees her! Thank you again everyone, I know those prayers helped her last night and this morning!

Hee's hoping your sweet girl will be ok...don't beat yourself up, I know easier said than done :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross