Not The Best News From The Vet Today.

Guest EddiesMom

Guest EddiesMom

Our senior GH, Lacey, started limping on her right hind leg at the end of Jan-beginning of Feb. She's almost nine, so my first thought was osteosarcoma. The vet was concerned about a torn/blown ACL. However, it is important to know we had a great deal of ice and packed snow in the driveway and yard. After examining Lacey, vet diagnosed her with a sprain from walking on the ice, and prescribed a course of Tramadol for pain relief. Given the circumstances, it was a perfectly reasonable diagnosis.

Lacey seemed to improve while on meds, but there was no improvement when they stopped. She's been off her feed and refusing to bear weight on the leg.

Today, we went back to the vet. This time, they did a radiograph. The results are not good. There are two possible diagnoses. The first, which I feared, is osteosarcoma. The x-ray shows involvement in the femoral head. Vet says if it's that far gone, the disease has more than likely metastasised to other places. She will not confirm osteo at this time without a biopsy.

The second, and slightly less scary is a severe bone infection.

Lacey is also running a fever of 105.

I am thinking seriously about a second opinion from our group's vet. Right now, we are treating this as if it is a severe infection. Lacey is on a 30 day course of Antirobe and Tramadol. We will re-evaluate things at the end of the course, possibly sooner if she appears to be getting no pain relief. If it is osteo, we plan to make her as comfortable as we can in the time she has left.

Suggestions?

Today's diagnoses are somewhat ironic, considering we recieved our Hope for Hounds collars today!

I hope that it is an infection and that it responds to the antibiotics. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about Lacey!

Generally, Osteo doesn't cause a fever. I am no vet, but that is my understanding. I think you might be looking at an infection. A second opinion is a very good idea!

Sending your warm, healing thoughts! I hope the antibiotics and Tramadol do the job, and it is NOT OS!

Generally, Osteo doesn't cause a fever. I am no vet, but that is my understanding. I think you might be looking at an infection. A second opinion is a very good idea!

Sending your warm, healing thoughts! I hope the antibiotics and Tramadol do the job, and it is NOT OS!

My thoughts as well

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My thoughts as well

Same here.

Whereabouts are you? Anywhere near a university with a good teaching hospital?

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EddiesMom

Whereabouts are you? Anywhere near a university with a good teaching hospital?

Sending prayers.

Please define good ;-))

There is a university with a veterinary teaching facility in Central Iowa. Unfortunately, I have had some very bad experiences with them, and will not entrust them with my pets again.

Might be worth having Dr. Couto or colleagues at OSU look at the x-rays (via Fedex or email, if you can get digitized views)?

I don't know how far you are from UW-Madison. My experience with them has been good.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bluefawn

I would send the x-rays to Dr. Couto. My vet told me that Penny had a tumor on her spine, and that she would not live longsad.gif I sent her x-ray to Dr. Couto for an opinion, and he said that it is not a tumor. She did respond to tramadol and feldene, and she is fine now. DO get a 2nd opinion!

Guest Energy11

I would send the x-rays to Dr. Couto. My vet told me that Penny had a tumor on her spine, and that she would not live longsad.gif I sent her x-ray to Dr. Couto for an opinion, and he said that it is not a tumor. She did respond to tramadol and feldene, and she is fine now. DO get a 2nd opinion!

Yes, a second opinion is warrented. Why not one of THE BEST, Dr. Couto? :-)

I also think getting Dr Couto or one of his people to look is a good idea.

If it's not an infection, time is of the essence.

All good thoughts beingn sent :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Good thoughts for Lacey and you. I hope it's not that dreaded disease...

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest EddiesMom

What is the best way to get in touch with Dr. Couto?

Guest EddiesMom

Forgot to ask if anyone has an idea what the approximate cost might be to have Dr. Couto review the x-rays. Things are a wee bit tight tight now.

Guest bluefawn

He doesn't charge anything. Here is his address:

The Ohio State University

Veterinary Hospital

601 Vernon Tharp St.

Columbus, Ohio 43210

attn: Dr. Guillermo Couto

Ph: (614) 292-3551

Fx: (614) 292-0895

email: couto.1@osu.edu

I just packaged my cd with the x-ray on it, and sent it along with a copy of my vet's notes from the day he told me she had a tumor, and a little bit of Penny's history (anything that you think Dr. Couto should know about your greyhound). He is a wonderful vet who is very experienced with both greyhounds and cancer in greyhounds. Either he or Dr Liliana Marin or Dr. Zaldivar will get back to you soon.

Here is a link to the OSU website The OSU Greyhound Program

Wishing you lots of luck and sending hugs!!

Edited by bluefawn

Guest LindsaySF

I would get a second opinion as well. The fever makes me think infection, but you never know.

Did your vet do a chest x-ray? Osteo usually metastasizes to the lungs when it does spread, so I would wonder if it was that advanced.

Good luck!