Not The Best News From The Vet Today.

Guest EddiesMom

Sorry, I just got on greytalk after several days of no internet connection.

I am in central Ohio and know Dr. Couto's team well. I put together some info on their program (at the end of this reply). I also know some folks near University of Wisconsin if you decide to go there. They might be able to steer you to the right vet.

Here's the info on OSU:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Medicine

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Dr. Urie is from the United States. All of the other vets are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for Dr. Urie or one of the vet techs to "translate".

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is the same. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

FYI: Dr. Couto has a team of about 6 veterinarians specializing in greyhound medicine. They are considered by many to be the best out there. They receive funding from individuals and foundations to do cancer, blood, and general greyhound medicine research.

This funding helps pay for free phone/email cancer consultations. They will need copies of xrays, labs, etc.