My Big Boy Died Today

Guest got2now

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. It's just awful to lose a hound this way ... :bighug

We lost two close together at the end of 2008/9, and one was similar - he had embolisms. In a way, you can feel fortunate that he didn't hang on longer. They tried so hard to save Jack, and it was about three days before we all said 'enough' after he had another embolism that took his hind legs from under him. I'm still not over it, and I wish (in hindsight) that we could have known so we could have spared him the suffering. :(

I know how you feel about the dog bed, too. Jack's sat in the lounge until I'd chosen a new dog, and only then could I bring myself to wash it ready for Sid's arrival. It's hard, very hard. I know.

Run free, big guy! You will be missed.

:f_pink

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greysonly

I am so sorry for your tragic loss of your sweet boy. My heart breaks for you. May it comfort you that you were there for him to hold and comfort him in his passing. :grouphug:cry1

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

I'm so sorry for your loss. Like so many others, I also lost a boy in the blink of an eye. My thoughts are with you and your surviving girl. :f_white

I am so sorry for your suddent loss...how sad

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. Godspeed ! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest BlueCrab

I'm so sorry to hear about your sudden loss. Coming shortly after a meal, it sounds like the symptoms of bloat to me. When your heart has healed some, you may wish to read up on this some and see if it sounds like the symptoms. Its a terrible occurance that calls for rapid and immediate response. We lost a GSD to it a couple years ago.

I'm so sorry.

Guest handpicked

First of all, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Besides, stroke and seizure, another possibility is that he suffered a bloat (gastrointestinal dilitation and volvulus.) This is when the stomach flips on itself, cutting off the blood supply to the stomach and the spleen and if the gas and fluid buildup is not released, the dog can go into septic shock due to translocation of bacteria and can die suddenly. With a greyhound, sometimes it is hard to appreciate the swelling of the belly due to their deep chested appearance. They usually present with non-productive retching or vomiting. The dog can seem to be fine one minute and then dead the next, and yes, a necropsy would confirm the cause of death. Please know I am grieving with you and I hope that you will heal soon.