Lump On Forhead

Guest Happytails

Guest Energy11

Update #2 - CHAOS

Oh this is getting fun!

Since updating this morning, everything is starting to unravel! Our regular vet who was unavailable over the weekend was updated this afternoon by my wife and the vet is concerned. She thinks the vet who we saw this morning has made a mistake and has missed something.

I really hope our regular vet is right as calling out another vet to me seems like quite a move!

Right now, I am really worried. I just want our beautiful boy to be better and I am losing confidence in the vets.

Hi. I am sorry Sully isn't any better. This has been driving me crazy all day. I have had some ideas pop in to my head, I want to share with you. First, I am NOT a vet, but a retired charge and trauma paramedic, as well as a retired vet tech.

My Oakly had his head swell similar to Sully, when he was bitten by fire ants. He DID not have the peaked swelling on the top of his head, nor did he have brusing in his mouth.

To me, if it were a true extreme allergic reaction, when the vet aspirated the top bump, clearish, slightly thick liquid, NOT blood, should have come out. Edema is extra fluid made by the body, basically, and it is not usually bloody. Also, brusing inside the gums is not consistant with an allergic reaction.

Based on the above, I have come up with these ideas, and feel free to run them past the vet. I am wondering IF, Sully was bitten by a snake. There are snakes who are not poisionous, BUT have an anticolagulant in their blood, meaning, they can cause their victims' blood to thin, when bitten, hence the brusing of the gums and the blood in the aspirate from the bump. A spider bite MIGHT cause the same reaction.

Another possibility, and it is REMOTE, and I hope this isn't it, would be Hemangioscaroma (blood cancer). Why am I thinking this? The idea that the bump aspirated blood, not clear fluid, and the brusing in the gums. This is a long shot, and I hope it IS the wrong one.

Are there any other swellings/brusings anywhere else on Sully's body?

Please feel free to run the above past your vet. Again, tell him/her, I am not a vet, but have a lot of medical experience. To me, this just doesn't sound like a "routine" allergie reaction.

**I would also ask the vet to check Sully's platlet count, as well, just to be on the safe side.

Sending more love, hugs and prayers! Dee and The Five

Edited by Energy11

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Here are some of the snakes you could be dealing with in your location. Just an FYI for you vet. Here, we have the Northeastern Water Snake, which looks like a Cottonmouth. They are now poisonous, but their saliva contains an anticoagulant, which causes the blood to thin.

At least you will know which types of snakes MIGHT have caused this. Again, a shot in the dark. http://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/subsite/glfc-amphibians/nerodia-sipedon-sipedon

Edited by Energy11

Guest Happytails

So late night our regular vet came to the house!

She checked Sully out and is highly concerned why the swelling. Admittedly it is going down but very slowly!

She has taken blood to run a full panel and we get the results on wednesday.

Guest Drumhellergrey

I have a friend who is a vet, and her Golden Lab developed a lump on his head. He's a big dog, so face swelling wouldn't show up as well as it did in your pictures.

4 months later and he is back to normal. Lets hope the same happens for you. I hate to see an animal in pain.

Guest bluefawn

Wow, you have an awesome vet! I am so glad that she has taken more blood, and I hope you will have an answer soon! Sending hugs and prayers for healing for Sully.

Guest Energy11

I'm sorry I'm just seeing this. It sounds to me like he dug a spider or snake up when he dug up your rose bush. I really hope he gets better soon.

Yes, it surely does seem like a spider or snake bite, doesn't it?

Hoping the boy gets better, very, very, very soon!

Guest bluefawn

Yes, the spider bite idea sounds very reasonable. When I pulled up some landscaping plastic from around one of my trees, there was a whole nest of black widows under it - thousands of them! I had no idea they nested in the ground! Needless to say, I emptied 3 cans of insecticide on them. Hopefully something will show up in the blood your vet took.

Guest Happytails

So the results are in!

The tests carried out on the fluid in the goose egg showed it to be blood.

The blood panel showed he was fine and healthy with just a high white blood cell count.

Basically he will fine! He just had a major allergic reaction to something.

In addition to that his muzzle is almost back to normal and he looks like a greyhound again just with a bump on his head!

Glad to hear that he will be fine.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest brandi007

Wooo...could it be an allergic reaction to a bee sting? Sometimes they try to eat them and get stung in the mouth....

Poor guy, glad he's doing better though

Guest dwolfe711

I would stay on top of it. Keep an eye on the lump - if it does not go away have further test and x-rays done. Not to alarm you unnecessarily but that is how Apollo's cancer started - with a lump above his eye which we thought he got from a bump on his head and we treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. His eye swelled up several times and the drugs took the swelling down but the lump hung around for several months before it started growing and we had x-rays and an aspiration done which revealed the tumor and cancer cells. I am praying this is not what is happening with Scully but just FYI. Your vet is fantastic - sounds like he is in good care. I hope he's feeling better soon - hugs to you all - :grouphug

Guest Happytails

Just when we thought it was all over! (MODS - how do you add an update to the title?)

Well the lump on Sully's head seemed to be comming down, and then yesterday he's sick and got the big D. No food for 12 hours and then bland.

This morning I get up and his orginal bump is swollen. Apart from that I thought it might be me being parnoid.

Er wrong!

By lunchtime his face has completely changed shape back to his pitbull look and R is rushing him off to the vet again!

This time it is worse as his tongue has swollen too.

Could really do with a break on this and some prays for our poor boy

Have his teeth been checked? Dental x-ray?

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

dont have any advice or suggestions as to the cause of his problems but i really wish they find the reason & can help your boy. Prays & hugs to him

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Guest Energy11

Everything points to a SEVERE allergic reaction. There is SOMETHING in his environment that he is allergic to, something.

Good move taking him into the vet with the swollen tongue, because this can lead to a closed airway.

I would ask the vet about keeping him on Pred and Benedryl for a WHILE, until you can figure what he is allergic to. The diarrhea is also part of a severe allergic reaction ... his body is trying to rid itself of toxins.

Sending you all the love, hugs and prayers we can! Dee and the Five

Just when we thought it was all over! (MODS - how do you add an update to the title?)

You can edit the title if you're a GT supporter.

I hope he's feeling better, and you can figure out what's triggering the reaction.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)