Lump On Forhead

Guest Happytails

Guest Happytails

Sully seems to have developed today a big bump on the top of his head

I patted him when i got home and he screamed. I thought nothing of it as there was chaos with him and the others greeting me.

Just let him back in and dried him off and he screamed again

Looking more carefully now he has a lump on the top of his head about the size of a goose egg.

Do dogs get bruises? It would not surprise me if he had banged his head, he can be a over eager at times leading to him hitting various inanimate objects!

P3134297.jpg

P3134295.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Looks like he could very well have hit himself on something. That is a big bump! Poor baby!

OR, it could be a bite of some kind, too.

I'd keep a close eye on him. Be aware of staggering, falling, unequal or larger pupils, vomiting, etc. These things could all be signs of a concussion, resulting for a hard hit on his head.

You could try an ice pack on it, 15 minutes on, 15 off. BE SURE to wrap the ice in one or two towels, to keep it from direct contact with the skin.

Sending lots of love, prayers, hugs and good luck! Dee and The Five

Probably not a bite at this time of year, so I'm guessing a bump.

Energy11 has already given you better advice about that than I can muster. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest Happytails

Okay so this morning the lump is not not a lump but his whole face is swollen!

We are off to the vet! Will post pics when I get back

Ai yi yi! Despite time of year, must've either gotten bitten or unnoticeable puncture that got infected????! Best luck at the vet!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Post probably an allergic reaction to a bite or sting, then. Glad you are off to the vets! DO keep us posted! Sending positive thoughts your way!

Guest Happytails

So we are back from the vet! Sully appears to have had an allergic reaction to something. The vet gave him a shot to reduce the inflamation and pills for the next couple of days and if the swelling hasn't gone down, he's going back in on Tuesday.

Guest Energy11

Ah, poor baby! Oakly had a massively swollen face once. He looked like a Great Dane! It was from fire ant bites. It took him about two days to finally recover.

Don't be surprised if you guy has diarrhea for a few days, too. Oakly did. It is the body trying to rid itself of toxins.

Sending love and hugs your way!

Guest mountain4greys

I wonder what he's allergic to? I'm glad you went to the vet quickly, and I hope the swelling goes down quickly. Poor guy.

Guest Happytails

I promised pics so here they are.

The patient is doing ok (eats, drinks, potty, short walk) so we are holding out from heading to the e-vet just yet however it really is a day by day thing. However he is definitely not himself and depending on how the swelling goes down over the next 24 hours we will be back in the vet tomorrow.

We think he might have hit the rose bush a few days ago when he tried to dig to south america in the garden and in the process dug one of the bushes up! Apart from that we are still lost to what caused it.

Photos from yesterday.

P3134301.jpg

P3134300.jpg

P3134298.jpg

And then this morning

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

And just for reference him in healthy times.

DSC_0048.jpg

Guest Energy11

Yes, his face is still swollen! Poor guy!

What is he taking now? Like Oakly, he MIGHT have to be on Benedryl for a few days.

I had to give Oakly 50 mg. of Benedryl every four to six hours for two days after his swelilng. He had a BAD reaction, and I think Sully, too, had/is having a bad reaction to something.

His breathing is ok, rigiht?

Sending love and prayers his way! Dee and The Five

Oweee, poor baby, yes it looks very swollen to me, sending healing thoughts his way :(

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest bluefawn

I hope Sully is much better today! Hoping for a good news update soon! I would monitor his breathing to be sure his throat isn't swelling too. Sending prayers for healing!

Guest Happytails

Update!

We have been back to the vet! The swelling has subsided round his eyes but he still sports the goose egg and swollen muzzle.

She had a look in his mouth a pointed out that it was heavily brusied. In addition she took a sample of the fluid from the goose egg only to find blood but sent it off for analysis.

She also took his vitals and he is a picture of health apart from the bruises!

He knows there is something wrong and he is not himself completely as the stuffies are not getting the usual killing even though when I let him out in the back garden yesterday afternoon he managed to catch and kill a squirrel :o

Anyway will keep you posted and thanks for all the well wishes

Edited by Happytails

Guest bluefawn

Update!

We have been back to the vet! The swelling has subsided round his eyes but he still sports the goose egg and swollen muzzle.

She had a look in his mouth a pointed out that it was heavily brusied. In addition she took a sample of the fluid from the goose egg only to find blood but sent it off for analysis.

She also took his vitals and he is a picture of health apart from the bruises!

He knows there is something wrong and he is not himself completely as the stuffies are not getting the usual killing even though when I let him out in the back garden yesterday afternoon he managed to catch and kill a squirrel :o

Anyway will keep you posted and thanks for all the well wishes

Bruising inside his mouth? Is there any chance he tried to swallow a stick or something out in the yard? Sending hugs and prayers for your boy!

Guest Happytails

Update #2 - CHAOS

Oh this is getting fun!

Since updating this morning, everything is starting to unravel! Our regular vet who was unavailable over the weekend was updated this afternoon by my wife and the vet is concerned. She thinks the vet who we saw this morning has made a mistake and has missed something.

I really hope our regular vet is right as calling out another vet to me seems like quite a move!

Right now, I am really worried. I just want our beautiful boy to be better and I am losing confidence in the vets.

Guest bluefawn

Oh no! I hope your regular vet will be able to find the cause and give him the appropriate treatment soon! After all, he probably knows your boy's history and is familiar with him. Good luck!

I had a greyhound swell up quite a bit from a snake bite, but you're quite a bit too far North for that. [bite was on the bridge of her nose and her lips and throat swelled. Benedryl and anti-venom were administered.] Had a cat with a lump on head and swollen face from a geyhound :blush bite. Antibiotics did the trick.

If you think your baby swallowed or has bits of stick or plant material stuck in him, make sure that the vets use an imaging technique that will show wood. (CT scans won't show wood, for example.)

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04