Bool - 10/13/95 - 2/28/03

Guest Heehoo

Seven years at the bridge and it still feels like it was this morning when Dr B called & said its cancer, lets don't wake him up. It was still dark outside, 6:15am and I was getting ready for work. I knew Gerald was going to operate that morning, and that Bool would come home the next day. We thought it was just his spleen, I had read all sorts of articles about living without the spleen. But when he opened him up...the tumor had ruptured, it was attached to everything inside, he couldn't even find one of the kidneys. It was hermangiosarcoma.

I was there at the vet within the hour and got Bool's remains to take to my sister's farm. I called the adoption kennel and told the director, who then walked down to Bool's old racing kennel and told his trainer Alan. The next time I saw Alan, he hugged me, said he was sorry and showed me that he still carried Bool's picture in his wallet that I had given him.

Bool was one of the favorites at Southland. Had won a lot of races, my late husband had won a lot of money on him and when I saw that he was up for adoption, I had to have him. Our first 2 weeks together were eventful, ending in him jumping out into the lake, which was covered in ice at the time. It was about 9 feet deep right there and instead of coming back, he started for the middle of the lake so I jumped in after him. He came back to me, but by then he was so cold. I tried to get him up the retaining wall, but he was too heavy, the water was too deep for me to stand & so I only had one hand to push. Suddenly from above me, Pegasus grabbed Bool's ear, then his collar & actually helped me lift Bool out of the water. Then they took off running & playing while I tried to get out. I had to take him to the vet because Pegasus had ripped Bool's ear.

They became instant friends and from then on Bool trusted me to take care of him, although I only had him for about 2 years. But he opened the door to future black greyhounds in my home and for that I am thankful.

Seven years later, I still shed a tear and I still miss him.

07368e79.jpg

21_20.jpg

26_25.jpg

28_43.jpg

Edited by Heehoo

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh Hilda, I know its hard but he still makes your heart smile :heart

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

So many losses Hilda, so many. You're in our thoughts.

You know how I always love stories you tell about your pups, but I never heard the one about the lake.

Bool sure did know he was safest in your hands :beatheart

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

{{{{{{{{{{Hilda}}}}}}}}}}

Look what you started, Bool. :wub:

Rest well, precious.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You know how I always love stories you tell about your pups, but I never heard the one about the lake.

The funny part was they left me in the water & took off running & playing. When I finally got out, I went inside to change & get him dried off and I saw blood all over the floor. I checked & his ear was ripped pretty badly. So I had to call work, I was on my lunch hour & I told them what happened & I had to take him to the vet. I got him to the vet & told Dr B what happened & he had this look on his face like, this is the wildest story. BUT when he went to take him back to the holding area, he noticed his fur & his collar were wet. He kept him over night because of the water trauma & possibly hyperthermia. The next day I went to get him & Gerald asked if I had a wooden retaining wall. Yes, why? Bool had scraps on his chest & stomach...I said I told you I had to push up over the wall. Duh.....He did cosmetic surgery on Bool's ear & it actually looked & laid down better after that. 

Bool also clacked his teeth together when he was excited. People thought he was snapping at them. This dog was a hoot. The day after he died I met Dear. They were the spitting image of each other except for the clacking noise. So today would be Dear's Metcha Day.

Guest EmilyandSioux

They are the ones that adopt us we don't adopt them. We get the privilege of feeding and taking of them. These guys are a special breed unto themselves. All of mine have chosen me. There is some kind of unspoken communication there. They melt your heart and you know you have to have them. It is like eating something really good like potato chips and you can't eat just one. When they leave the crator in your heart feels like you can't see the bottom. Bool just trained you to be a mommy for the next one in line for your home. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.