When You Dremel...

Guest StriderDog

Guest StriderDog

I just dremeled the pups' nails and have yet again been left with the sneaking suspicion that inhaling pulverized dog toenail dust is probably not the healthiest thing to do. :unsure

I've seen techs at (human) nail salons wear masks. Should I? Do you??

Guest Swifthounds

Folks at nail salons generally do it because they deal with acrylic, which can be nasty to inhale in powdered form. Toenails might be irritating or cause sneezing, but I've never heard it's dangerous.

I'm sure salon people are also dealing with fiberglass and materials that make the process inherently more toxic, not to mention the frequency. I don't imagine you would need to use a mask to do a couple of doggies.

I don't wear a mask. I just don't breathe while I'm actually dremeling a nail, and when I'm done with a nail I blow the dust away before taking another breath and resuming.

(This isn't done consciously, I just realized this is what I do when I read the post and thought about it)

I dremel in the cellar. The dogs are more comfortable with the set up I have there. On the right side of me, I have a small fan that I turn on. You would be surprised at the nail dust that you can see blowing away. I found out about the dust when I got done one time and then took my glasses off and they were totally full, covered with the dust. After 3 dogs, I realized how much was in the air.

Guest GryffinSong

I pull my shirt up over my nose and mouth when I grind my dog's nails. Having spent the last year fighting cancer, I'm not taking chances with the dust.

I do, but I have respiratory problems that seem to be exacerbated by fine particulate matter (i.e. dust, pulverized dog nails).

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

That's just the one your dog sees....lol.gif

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life