Bobbi- Hind End Weakness

Guest FreddyGirl

Guest FreddyGirl

Bobbi, my 11 year old sweetheart, just came in from a potty break. She stood looking at me and her hind end was drooping. After taking off her coat, she just stood and did not move. I lifted her rear a bit to get her to walk over to her bed. She circled, as usual, in her bed ,and her back end fell down. She stayed in place and settled herself down. She is now laying in her bed. I just made an appt with a holistic accupunturist for tomorrow afternoon. Any suggestions from those with experience with this?

Friday- Bobbi and I went to a holistice vet today. She had the VOM chiropractic treamtment and acupuncture. She did very well, calm after the first few minutes. Going back next week. Calling regular vet tomorrow to investigate further. -test for LS, x-rays? TBD

Saturday- I took Bobbi to her regular vet this morning. She did a physical exam and Bobbi did not respond, rear dropping, to physical manipulation. This is a VERY good thing- she does not have Lambosacral Stenosis. To verify this would necessitate an MRI and anesthesia. If we knew she was positive,the treatment wouldn't be any different. So, there is No reason to put her, 11 years old, through this. If she does have LS, she is in the beginning stages. The vet agreed with the accupuncture, daily Omega 3-6-9 and glucosamine (liquid form-easier to ensure she gets it in). So, this relieved many of my fears. Oh also, the vet recommended Derramax as needed. The holistic vet did not recommend this, surprising enough, LOL. I agree with the Deramaxx for pain management. Feeling MUCH better today. Bobbi does run in the backayrd, it's not like she can't walk or get around. She only had that one big episode. she probably had wiped out in the backyard. Hoever, over the last 2-3 months, I have noticed her being a little less sturdy on her back legs. Well I should say so, it's like she is an 80 year old person. personally, I think she's in really good shape. AND, she's up one pound, back to 65, go BOBBI......................

Monday, 2/15: Took dogs out for a walk after breakfast. Went slowly as Bobbi has slowed down. By the end of the block, 1/4 mile, she was limping. We did a short walk, took MANY breaks, etc. She is now severly limping on the front left leg, the shoulder with bone growth and the leg she's been limping on since I adopted her 2.5 yrs ago. Also, she stands to the side with her front half, weight bears on front right leg, and the front left leg angles back a little, slightly behind her front. Will watch, might have to call vet.

Edited by FreddyGirl

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy- other than what we discussed and what you are doing, I don't know what to offer. But I am keeping sweet Bobbi in my thoughts and prayers. She'll do OK with the acupuncture, she has to.

Hoping others have some input.

Also- call A&A in the morning and ask them to fax over her H&P (history & physical) to this guy. he will need it and it will save time if it is in her chart before you get there. It's normal and customary to do it.

ETA- Dr. Burton's fax- 631) 423-0452

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Bobbi, my 11 year old sweetheart, just came in from a potty break. She stood looking at me and her hind end was drooping. After taking off her coat, she just stood and did not move. I lifted her rear a bit to get her to walk over to her bed. She circled, as usual, in her bed ,and her back end fell down. She stayed in place and settled herself down. She is now laying in her bed. I just made an appt with a holistic accupunturist for tomorrow afternoon. Any suggestions from those with experience with this?

Hi I am new to this so here goes. I have a male, Henry he's going to be 5. It took about 1 week before he could not walk. started off dragging, clicking, the whole foot bent down

Long story short, after drugs and COMPLETE bed rest for about 2 weeks( we had to CARRY him outside to does his business) I finally went to a animal chiropracter. THREE visits later, we are GREAT!! might be worth looking into

bump.

Does this sound like LS?

http://greythealth.com/lumbosacral.htm

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest FreddyGirl

thanks for the link. I printed off the article and will discuss this with Dr. Longo. She didn't eat a meal today, what else is new, but ate a few milk bones at 9:30. NO problem on the 10:15 pm walk Nor getting up off her bed, thank goodness. Talk to you tomorrow. I'll probably call from work on your cell. Crazy AM planned tomorrow on acct of the snow days, so much to do in so little time.

Guest smarthound

This sounds very similar to our first experience with lumbo sacral stenosis. Our boy, Baldy, was given a course of steroids immediately after his back end "froze up". The medication helped get him moving again. We maintained his mobility with regular acupuncture treatments and Rimadyl. We also used a sling to help him on his "off" days.

I'm happy to share more info if you want to PM or call me.

Guest KennelMom

LS is degenerative and doesn't typically have a sudden onset. Perhaps a blood clot? That can cause sudden lameness in the rear. I'd want my regular vet to take a look and possibly get some xrays.

Guest smarthound

I agree with KennelMom about an xray to get an accurate diagnosis. Our 5 year old was incorrectly diagnosed with LS from a physical exam. We took Lacey to another vet for a second option and xrays revealed a "beautiful lumbosacral area". We were grateful to learn the real cause of her problem so we could treat it appropriately.

Nancy, Alan was never "diagnosed" but he had hind end weakness and knuckling at times, but not to the point of Bobbi's. He did go for acupunture for months and it seemed to help him. Hoping all goes well with Bobbi.

Brandi has had hind end weakness since 2004 when she was temporarily paralyzed in her hind legs. The weakness has gotten worse as the years have gone on and she is now fecal incontinent and has been on pred since 2004. We have been able to lower the dosage to .2mg every other day but I truly believe the acupuncture/chiro care she receives every six weeks has helped. Her kidney/liver levels are fine too. If you can keep taking Bobbi for walks and do the holistic care I think it will really help. I try and keep my other two dogs from bumping into her because the slightest bump can put down on the ground. I wish you the best with Bobbi!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

LS is degenerative and doesn't typically have a sudden onset. Perhaps a blood clot? That can cause sudden lameness in the rear. I'd want my regular vet to take a look and possibly get some xrays.

I too would be more concerned about a possible clot. Please contact OSU for their input.

Edited by tbhounds

thanks for the link. I printed off the article and will discuss this with Dr. Longo. She didn't eat a meal today, what else is new, but ate a few milk bones at 9:30. NO problem on the 10:15 pm walk Nor getting up off her bed, thank goodness. Talk to you tomorrow. I'll probably call from work on your cell. Crazy AM planned tomorrow on acct of the snow days, so much to do in so little time.

Hello! I use the same vet as you...My Missy has hind end weakness and was given depo shot at previous vet (did not help)..acupuncture helps her..anyway,when she flared up recently I asked Dr. Longo about the shot/LS..she explained that they (I believe dr. friedman) feel that the shot really does not do much good for our guys..but then again every case is different. At least we are in good hands! Dr. Longo recommended continuing with acupuncture for Missy...no shot. The chirp sounds interesting...I did see a you tube video of it being done on dogs..they did not appear to be distressed at all. Hope all goes well!

Donna

Guest FreddyGirl

Donna,

The VOM treatment was indredibly gentle. The holistic vet, Dr. Miller, let me feel the pressure before doing anything to Bobbi. I hardly felt anything. Actually, the sound was more "shocking" than the actual pressure exhibited.

Nancy

PS- Hope NOT to run into youa the vet unless we're coming in for an annual exam!!!

I am glad to hear she is doing better! My Sugar went "down in her back" at about 11 1/2, and accupuncture really helped her. I ended up switching to Tramadol (from Metacam) for as-needed pain relief because it can be used with Prednisone, and when she had a couple of "flare ups", the pred really helped short term. After she had been on accupuncture for a couple of months, she never had another crisis :)

Guest FreddyGirl

I am glad to hear she is doing better! My Sugar went "down in her back" at about 11 1/2, and accupuncture really helped her. I ended up switching to Tramadol (from Metacam) for as-needed pain relief because it can be used with Prednisone, and when she had a couple of "flare ups", the pred really helped short term. After she had been on accupuncture for a couple of months, she never had another crisis :)

Now that is REALLY promising:) Thanks for posting this. Made my afternoon.

Nancy

Saturday- I took Bobbi to her regular vet this morning. She did a physical exam and Bobbi did not respond, rear dropping, to physical manipulation. This is a VERY good thing- she does not have Lambosacral Stenosis. To verify this would necessitate an MRI and anesthesia. If we knew she was positive,the treatment wouldn't be any different. So, there is No reason to put her, 11 years old, through this. If she does have LS, she is in the beginning stages. The vet agreed with the accupuncture, daily Omega 3-6-9 and glucosamine (liquid form-easier to ensure she gets it in). So, this relieved many of my fears. Oh also, the vet recommended Derramax as needed. The holistic vet did not recommend this, surprising enough, LOL. I agree with the Deramaxx for pain management. Feeling MUCH better today. Bobbi does run in the backayrd, it's not like she can't walk or get around. She only had that one big episode. she probably had wiped out in the backyard. Hoever, over the last 2-3 months, I have noticed her being a little less sturdy on her back legs. Well I should say so, it's like she is an 80 year old person. personally, I think she's in really good shape. AND, she's up one pound, back to 65, go BOBBI......................

So glad Bobbi is better today. If she has a little weakness in the rear end, a wipe out in the backyard sure could cause a bad couple days.

I caught Alpo's LS very early - I just noticed a little extra bend in his back legs when he was standing. We did an x-ray and he has narrowing in one vertebra. Dermaxx and Tramadol has made all the difference in his comfort. The most difference I noticed is he is able to get up and down without any hesitation.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Actually yes, I just got off the phone with Nancy- Bobbi is going to the vet for x-rays at 7pm. I will meet her there for support. She doesn't know I am going- unless she sees this first.

Bobbi is Polli's sister so when Bobbi limps- we are very concerned.

Back from vet with Nancy. She will update soon.

But I just wanted to get all of GT prayers going for this sweet little girl, Bobbi.

Prayers coming. Glad you went for x-rays -- for better or worse, best to get them done.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.