Bobbi- Hind End Weakness

Guest FreddyGirl

Guest FreddyGirl

Bobbi let out a scream last night at bedtime. She was able to jump onto the sofa to sleep. I slept on the floor, on COSTCO egg crate beds in the living room with her to be able to hear if she was whimpering, etc. Took dogs for a walkie after breakfast, I'm off this week. she had GREAT difficutly walking. she stopped about every 50 feet. So, she rested for the morning until 2PM at which time the pups went out for a potty break. She walked down the 3 steps on the deck and started to take off to run-SCREAMED again. That's when I decided I will have to go to the vet. I took her for a 7PM appt. tonight. Robin M, DEAR DEAR friend met me there, surprise, surprise. By this time, Bobbi could NOT walk unassisted, dragging her front left foot, knuckling. I carried her into the office and Robin and I got her up on the couch. Vet took xrays of neck and left shoulder. NO changes in left shoulder on the bone, Thank God!!! She does have a growth on the shoulder bone, causing her to limp, some pain. What the vet found is 2 compressed disks, causing the neurologic reaction in her front left leg. I'm wondering if this is also causing the rear end weakness. I will ask vet tomorrow in the AM when she calls. No accupuncture this week. So, Bobbi is in the hospital over night, shot of steroids to reduce the inflammation, GOOD pain killers and IV fluids. She has her blanket from the car and her pillow, the one she ALWAYS rests her head on in the mini van. I should be taking her home tomorrow-sometime @7-8PM. I am so relieved to find out what caused her to scream twice. I was deathly afraid of it being osteo. She needs to rest and take it easy. NO more running about in the back yard and no off leash activity for my baby, at least for now. NO more going up or down a VERY dangerous flight of stairs in the house, already had curtailed this.

All in all, NOT bad news.

Edited by FreddyGirl

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a call from Nancy. Bobbi is doing well from the steriods. She is moving much better and has a whole better look to her according to the tech that is with her.

She will be able to be picked up today at around 3pm.

I know Bpbbi very well. To hear Bobbi let out "that" scream was blood chilling. She had "that" look in her face. Totally hearbreaking. I too was up half the night worrying about her.

Praying she continues to improve.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FreddyGirl

My baby is coming home this afternoon! :yay She is getting more steroids this morning. Bobbi will have to rest, rest, rest........The house has been just quiet and empty without her.

Take care baby, mommy's coming soon. :wub:

Guest FreddyGirl

Bobbi is home, resting and walking well, slight limp. She has to take it really easy for a while. We are all hanging out on the first floor together. I think I'll have to take robin up on moving my tv into this room. Perhaps I'll go and get a small flat screen. Anyway, she just had her pain meds and is relaxing on the egg crate dog bed. I think it's easier for her to walk on those over the donut Mammoth beds. Time for a new cover to match the living room, LOL.

Nancy

Guest PiagetsMom

Glad to hear that Bobbi is home and doing better. The growth on her shoulder.......that's something that you've previously addressed and it's no worries?

good news! There were a few times, before the acupuncture really started to work, that Sugar was very bad. Once, she was so bad she couldn't walk or stand, we had to carry her into the vet. The prednisone got her moving again!

candle.gif she keeps improving

oh, and the egg crate beds are the best!

:goodluck

I hope she is well on the road to recovery.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest FreddyGirl

Glad to hear that Bobbi is home and doing better. The growth on her shoulder.......that's something that you've previously addressed and it's no worries?

Yes, looked at before , the vet laid new xrays over old xrays, no change.

Guest FreddyGirl

Bobbi has cried out 2x since being home,either getting up or when laying down. She is limited to thefirst floor, no stairs, leash walks in the backyard and no jumping or josseling around. She does jump onto the sofa! Walking on the uneven snow is difficult. wish it would melt some. I did shovel a path in the backyard, Not long enough nor does it go into her favorite areas. I will have to rectify this later today.She has not eaten a meal but this is not unusual. She has had NUMEROUS dried chicken tenders and biscuits.

Hoping she'll eat a real meal at dinner tonight.

Guest FreddyGirl

Still not eating well, but taking in sufficient calories. I'm serving doggie meatloaf tonight. Wish me luck. No crying out today, as of yet, I pray there will be none. She is getting used to pottying on leash in the backyard.

Guest PiagetsMom

As you say, the eating is not that out of the ordinary for Bobbi, but maybe the meatloaf will be just the enticement she needs - Good luck :goodluck

Sending more good thoughts your way!

Guest FreddyGirl

NO such luck,even after I cooked, LOL. However, out of desperation, I opened up a can of sardines in tomato sauce that I purchased this morning and she ate the 2 sardines adn 1/2 c. kibble. That's actually REAL dog food she ate, woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I also bought 2 cans of mackeral. I'll try that later on. Going for the smelly stuff over here for this 'particular' dog with the discerning palate. aka PITA THANK GOODNESS for Milk bones and Innova healthy Baked Bars..... NO crying while I've been home, all but 2 hours

today. :yay

Glad she ate. I know what an ordeal this is. She should not be jumping onto the couch. Not good for her neck.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest FreddyGirl

Well, walking in the backyard is out, too much snow, uneven ground, and the vet feels it probably hurts her neck. so, we walk a little cirlce, three houses down and back, for pottying. she has defacated three days in a row in the house and has peed at least twice. Vet also feels that her world has been "rocked/disrupted" and it will take her time to readjust. However, it is most probably due to pain, easier to go right where she is than go out for the walk. I agreee with the latter because when we have been away like at GIG lastyear, there were no problems pottying from the leash. We also increased Tramodol to 3x/day and switched to pred for three days then every other day. I do understand that this causes increased thirst=more frequent urination.

Robin M came over today with her DH and pack for moral support. she also brought over cow hooves which she stuffed with bobbi's canned food. After being in the freezer for 2 hours, she finished almost 2 of them. that's aobut 1/3 can of canned food. That was AMAZING!!! fingers and paws crossed for dinner.

Edited by FreddyGirl

Guest smarthound

Jan,

What would they laser? she has 3 compressed discs.

Nancy

If the vet determined a laser would be beneficial, they would laser the compressed discs.

Link

Edited by smarthound

Hoping she and you have an easy night. You KNOW how much I love Bobbi (Lou ;))

Guest FreddyGirl

I forgot what the book said, "How long can they survive on the Milk Bone and biscuit diet? :o;):ohno

I feel like I'm ready to give up on nutrition and just go for calories. She's 11 for goodness sake. Just venting out of frustration and worry............................... When I go back to work Monday, I do Not have the time for this and that is what is worrying me.

Edited by FreddyGirl

Guest Hollys2hounds

Oh Nancy,

I did not know about Bobbi until tonight. My computer at home died!

My thoughts and prayers are with you both!

Call me if you feel like talking!!!!

Hugs to all your babies!

Holly