Alternatives To Rimadyl, Deramaxx & Previcox

Guest TexasGreytMom

Guest TexasGreytMom

Our Dora came to us 4 years ago with an occasional limp in her front left leg. She was a Hurricane Katrina evacuee who had "left home" and was found running along a busy interstate. She'd practically run her pads completely off and a kind family picked her up. She ended up with a wonderful foster mom who nursed her pads back to a healthy state.

We're guessing the injury is either a racing injury or an injury sustained while running along a highway. It only occurred occasionally, especially when she ran really hard and fast. Then, we didn't notice it for a couple of years or so and now it's back again. Vet exam and tests couldn't find any source for what we assume is pain.

He prescribed Previcox for 14 days and said that if she was better after that, to give her a baby aspirin a day. She was great while taking it (most of the time) but if we missed a day, the limp would return. It doesn't prevent her from running full out in the lawn - and we only notice it when she walks or first thing in the morning when she wakes up and takes her first steps. Today we picked up another 14 day supply

From what we understand, Previcox offers far less side affects than Rimadyl and Deramaxx, and with Rimadyl and Deramaxx, blood tests are needed every six months, but not with Privcox.

Here's the problem ... in our area, Previcox costs about $50 for 14 tablets thru our vet, and over $100 for 30. At this point in our financial lives, we cannot afford $100 a month every month. Please don't think badly of us because we're concerned about the price - in the past when we had more lucrative jobs, we spent thousands on anything the pups needed, without hesitation. Our current situation unfortunately has us with far less income.

Has anyone had any success with natural supplements or treatments? There are so many on the market that it's a bit overwhelming. I would appreciate any input from anyone who's experienced a similar situation. Thanks so very much! :)

Edited by TexasGreytMom

Look into Tramadol. It's also a $4.00 generic at Walmart.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Have you checked for corns? Sometimes they are difficult to detect, from what I understand, but if found and removed the problem is solved. We use Metacam liquid NSAID here, but it isn't cheap and requires blood test to monitor it's effects on organs.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest TexasGreytMom

Goodness! Thanks for the info. I'll check them both out a little more.

I just ran across another message board in which someone was really pleased with Osteo Bi-flex that contains Glucosamine....250 mg and Chondroitin....200 mg. It's sold at Walmart and made for humans. They took their pup off Rimadyl and switched to the Osteo and are very pleased with the results.

I honestly want to find a natural approach to helping her obtain some relief - don't want to take her leg pain away only to damage her liver or kidneys. What's a mom to do? :)

Guest TexasGreytMom

Donna - Thanks - the vet did check for corns and saw no evidence of any. OMG - after reading an article on Previcox I'm now terrified to give it to her and I just picked up $50 worth. Isn't it frustrating to try to do what you think is the best for your pet, and still not find clear, definitive information out there? Ugh! Will probably try the Osteo Bi-flex tomorrow to give it a try.

Everyone's experience and attitude towards the NSAIDS is different.

My experience with them over the past 18 years and with several dogs on them, has been a good one.

All of the NSAIDS regular blood tests screening liver and kidneys, all of them.

Tramadol is very inexpensive, however it is not an anti inflammatory and there's a big difference.

Natural remedies have their place and many people swear by them, but I feel that there comes a time when an anti-inflammatory is what's needed to take care of certain pain issues.

They are much cheaper online than at the vet's office where the mark up is 150%

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest KennelMom

pls pls google Previcox, it killed my friends dog, it is bad stuff

I really hate posts like this. Any and all drugs for humans or dogs or cats or birds can have severe and even fatal side effects. Its SO important that owners talk to their vet about medications they are giving, be aware of side effects and what symptoms would indicate the medication should be stopped.

Previcox is used with success many pets every day. Same with Rimadyl and Metacam. Yes, NSAIDs should be given with caution, but heck I don't freak out every time I take an Aleve...and I bet someone out there has had a negative reaction to it and even died.

With dogs, just like with humans, pre-existing conditions can make them susceptible to NSAIDs and would preclude them being prescribed, which is why it's important for bloodwork to be done prior to it being given and occasionally if it's given regularly on a long term basis.

Pet owners should be aware and educated...but not frightened out of given drugs than can help relieve painful suffering in their pets.

/hijack

To the OP, talk to your vet about tramadol. We keep both tramadol and an NSAID on hand in our house to help with varying lamenesses in our seniors and younger dogs with injuries. As mentioned earlier, you can get it for $4 at Target or Walmart...probably others.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest TexasGreytMom

The online meds still require a prescription, right? Have you had much luck with getting your vet to willingly provide authorization for you purchase them online?

When we tried to buy our heartworm meds online and the online company needed our vet's prior approval, our vet called us and gave us a song and dance about how the manufacturer won't guarantee the product if the girls got heartworms while on the med purchased online, but that the manufacturer would guarantee (cover the medical treatment costs) if the girls got heartworms anyway after taking the meds purchased from the vet.

We didn't know if we were being fed a line, didn't want to take a chance, and conceded to buying thru the vet, which of course, cost more.

Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this, it's just so confusing when all we want is to do what's best for the girls. Thanks for your patience with me!

with Rimadyl and Deramaxx, blood tests are needed every six months, but not with Privcox.

You need periodic bloodwork with Previcox as well! It's in the same class of drugs as Rimadyl, Deramaxx, aspirin, Metacam, etc. There's really no difference in side effects overall. For the individual dog, side effects might vary. Some dogs get along with one but not the others, etc.

Tramadol would be worth trying if your dog doesn't get along with NSAIDs. It too has side effects. It also is a different type of drug -- just a painkiller, no anti-inflammatory properties.

Whatever you give, familiarize yourself with the potential side effects so you know if/when you should withdraw the drug.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this, it's just so confusing when all we want is to do what's best for the girls

Inexperience is not ignorance, and I don't think you're ignorant at all.

Yes, you still do need a script when buying online. One of my boys is on Rimadyl and I buy it online. My vet has no problem at all authorizing the med.

Every pup I've had on NSAID's I've always purchased online.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest TexasGreytMom
Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this, it's just so confusing when all we want is to do what's best for the girls

Inexperience is not ignorance, and I don't think you're ignorant at all.

Yes, you still do need a script when buying online. One of my boys is on Rimadyl and I buy it online. My vet has no problem at all authorizing the med.

Every pup I've had on NSAID's I've always purchased online.

Thanks for the reassurance! It may be time for us to shop around and interview other vets in our area to find one that is a little more receptive to working with us regarding online meds. Hearing others' experiences about vets who are willing to authorize online purchases is very helpful.

Will do a little more homework and keep referring back to this thread for advice. I sure am thankful for all of you who are here to direct those of us who are less informed. :)

I also recommend talking to your vet about Tramadol

It's very cheap and like Wendy said, you can get it at WalMart for $4 a month

Also, I would restrict running

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest KennelMom

The online meds still require a prescription, right? Have you had much luck with getting your vet to willingly provide authorization for you purchase them online?

When we tried to buy our heartworm meds online and the online company needed our vet's prior approval, our vet called us and gave us a song and dance about how the manufacturer won't guarantee the product if the girls got heartworms while on the med purchased online, but that the manufacturer would guarantee (cover the medical treatment costs) if the girls got heartworms anyway after taking the meds purchased from the vet.

We didn't know if we were being fed a line, didn't want to take a chance, and conceded to buying thru the vet, which of course, cost more.

Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this, it's just so confusing when all we want is to do what's best for the girls. Thanks for your patience with me!

You weren't being fed a line by your vet. What they told you about the manufacturer backing up the product is true.

We buy some meds from our vet, some from a human pharmacy and some from online pharmacies. Our vet has no problems writing us a RX or calling one in, esp for long term meds if they can't meet or come close to another (legit) pharmacy's price. I prefer to buy from our vet, as that supports their practice. They have to make revenue somewhere...if it's not on meds, then prices of other goods and services will have to rise to compensate....they have bills and staff to pay too.

Of course, not many people have unlimited budgets - including us, so I do price compare as well - esp on expensive meds. Our vet can't really come close to the price I get rimadyl for from a legit online pharmacy, so that is one that we do buy in bulk online.

You do have to be cautious with online pharmacys selling out of date or even counterfeit drugs....so, sometimes "bargain basement pricing" isn't the best deal, if you know what I mean. Have you talked with your vet about not being able to afford the $100/month to see if they have alternatives to offer? That might be the best place to start. You aren't the only owner that they've seen who has to consider affordability of treatment. ;)

Edited by KennelMom

Here's the thing about Tramadol. it's a great pain reliever, I always have it on hand. But....

It is not an anti-inflammatory and if that's what is needed, all Tramadol will do is help the pain but not reduce the inflammation.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Here's the thing about Tramadol. it's a great pain reliever, I always have it on hand. But....

It is not an anti-inflammatory and if that's what is needed, all Tramadol will do is help the pain but not reduce the inflammation.

Good point, thanks

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest TexasGreytMom
Have you talked with your vet about not being able to afford the $100/month to see if they have alternatives to offer? That might be the best place to start. You aren't the only owner that they've seen who has to consider affordability of treatment. ;)

Sure did. In fact, when I called to let them know she was still limping without the med and asked if we could continue it (I didn't realize the cost because DH paid the bill the last time), the tech asked what quantity we wanted and quoted the prices - $100 for a 30 day supply. That's when I told them that we can't afford $100 a month and asked if there was an alternative. The tech told me that with Previcox she wouldn't need blood tests, but with the Remadyl and Deramaxx she would, and that the others weren't any cheaper.

This is why I'm growing very untrusting of our vet. The clinic's vet staff is entirely new since my former vet passed away and the clinic was sold.

Good to know they at least were honest about the manufacturer not guaranteeing online meds.

I'll ask more about the Tramadol. I just don't hold out a lot of hope that the vet will be receptive to providing a prescription for me to buy the med at Walmart - they seem to want to monopolize that area.

And, I do understand their need to bring in revenue to support salaries, etc. But, believe me, their rates go up regularly and we rarely get out of the clinic for less than $200. (They are also large animal vest - equine, cattle, etc.) and I think that's where they bring in most of their revenue.

In the meantime, we'll try the Osteo Bio-Flex.

My head is spinning! LOL!

Guest EmilyandSioux

Try going to one of the pet catalogs and get Arthrisoothe Gold. It is all natural and one jar will last 6 months. You sprinkle it on their food and they never know it is there. It works great for soft tissue and bone pain.

Guest eaglflyt

We've been giving our elderly Aussie Osteo BiFlex for about 6 weeks now. But, we also give him Deramaxx daily ... a small dose. There's definitely improvement with the Deramaxx. At this point, with the Osteo-BiFlex, there may be a tiny improvement, but it's difficult to tell. The Osteo-BiFlex may take longer to become more effective, but our old fella needs his Deramaxx, especially in winter. We have stopped the Deramaxx for a couple of weeks and his condition worsened rapidly. We won't try discontinuing again until Spring, if then.

Edited by eaglflyt

I believe, by law, the Vet has to write a 'script if you ask for it. They can charge a fee, I think. You need to check with the laws of your state and the professional ethics board in your state.

Also, most of the AU stores/sites do not require a 'script for heartwormer. I have been getting our from PetsMegaStore for years and have never had an issue. Shipping is about the same as in the US and frequently it is free.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My boy, Tally, has been on Previcox for a long time and it's helped him a great deal. I was/am in the same situation as you re: the cost of the Previcox from my vet. I did search online and found it at drsfostersmith.com for half of what my vet charges. My vet does charge $5 for writing script, but after the first time she didn't charge me anything for it.

Good luck.

Pat

My 15 year old Cali has been on generic rimadyl (it's called Novox) for 2 years now with no problems at all. I paid 100$ for a bottle of 180 caps of 100 mg strength. I broke the tab into the dose that she needed so that I got way more than 180 doses out of it. Got mine at FosterSmith as well.

My vet has no problem giving me scripts, nor did my vet in Ohio. If a vet doesn't understand that I cannot afford big bucks on a monthly basis, then I would change vets.

Guest Grhndad

Metacam is a very good replacement for Remadyl and Deramax but expensive. I have one girl that was on Prevocox daily and my vet switched her to Meloxicam. Instead of 1/2 tablet of Previcox she gets 1/2 of a 7.5 mg tablet of meloxicam daily. Very inexpensive $4.00 for 30 tablets. Meloxicam is the same as Metacam only in tablet form.

Our Dora came to us 4 years ago with an occasional limp in her front left leg. She was a Hurricane Katrina evacuee who had "left home" and was found running along a busy interstate. She'd practically run her pads completely off and a kind family picked her up. She ended up with a wonderful foster mom who nursed her pads back to a healthy state.

We're guessing the injury is either a racing injury or an injury sustained while running along a highway. It only occurred occasionally, especially when she ran really hard and fast. Then, we didn't notice it for a couple of years or so and now it's back again. Vet exam and tests couldn't find any source for what we assume is pain.

He prescribed Previcox for 14 days and said that if she was better after that, to give her a baby aspirin a day. She was great while taking it (most of the time) but if we missed a day, the limp would return. It doesn't prevent her from running full out in the lawn - and we only notice it when she walks or first thing in the morning when she wakes up and takes her first steps. Today we picked up another 14 day supply

From what we understand, Previcox offers far less side affects than Rimadyl and Deramaxx, and with Rimadyl and Deramaxx, blood tests are needed every six months, but not with Privcox.

Here's the problem ... in our area, Previcox costs about $50 for 14 tablets thru our vet, and over $100 for 30. At this point in our financial lives, we cannot afford $100 a month every month. Please don't think badly of us because we're concerned about the price - in the past when we had more lucrative jobs, we spent thousands on anything the pups needed, without hesitation. Our current situation unfortunately has us with far less income.

Has anyone had any success with natural supplements or treatments? There are so many on the market that it's a bit overwhelming. I would appreciate any input from anyone who's experienced a similar situation. Thanks so very much! :)

I get my Previcox - 60 227mg pills from Omaha Vaccine for $128.95. They can also be split in half since I have one that needs a whole pill daily and one that only needs half. It ain't cheap. Used to be able to get it from Entirely Pets for $106.95, but they no longer dispense RX meds.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.