Alternatives To Rimadyl, Deramaxx & Previcox

Guest TexasGreytMom

I have had great success with chrondroitan sulfate and yucca. Specifically the yucca sold by Solid Gold Health and the Chrondroitan sold by Springtime- the Fresh Factors people in Cockeysville MD. It is important to get quality products. Even though they cost more than store brands they are worth it and are still much cheaper than the possibly dangerous NSAID's you mention. You can use Fresh Factors or if you get a small canister of the "J-Flex" you can give her 1/4 teaspoon divided into 2 daily doses and save even more(per Springtime). It is very cheap. Don't expect the store brand chrondroitans to be as effective as the concentated extract from Springtime. The yucca too is very cheap and Solid Golds is effective-store brands might be too "weak". J-Flex has no taste- just dump it in their food. Yucca is very bitter. I put it in a tablespoon or so of honey and most of the time Goldie would eat it then-or I would pour it down his throat. Things don't have to be an expensive chemical to work. Nature has many relatively cheap materials that work effectively and safely for many! Good luck. (PS- I am a chemist but still-or maybe because of that- I prefer the natural treatments.)

Previcox worked best for my guy. Metacam upset his stomach. He does get 2 Joint Health and 2 Fresh Factors every day (Springtime). It has really put some life back into this 13-1/2 year old with LSS. He also gets Tramadol daily for the LSS.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest SueG201

I stand firm that Prevocix is a bad drug, i saw my friends dog die from the drug, andmy vet has done extensive research on this and will not carry it, I have been a vet tech for years and I have seen all the bad reactions to Nsaids

but Previcox is the worst by far

Guest SueG201

pls pls google Previcox, it killed my friends dog, it is bad stuff

I really hate posts like this. Any and all drugs for humans or dogs or cats or birds can have severe and even fatal side effects. Its SO important that owners talk to their vet about medications they are giving, be aware of side effects and what symptoms would indicate the medication should be stopped.

Previcox is used with success many pets every day. Same with Rimadyl and Metacam. Yes, NSAIDs should be given with caution, but heck I don't freak out every time I take an Aleve...and I bet someone out there has had a negative reaction to it and even died.

With dogs, just like with humans, pre-existing conditions can make them susceptible to NSAIDs and would preclude them being prescribed, which is why it's important for bloodwork to be done prior to it being given and occasionally if it's given regularly on a long term basis.

Pet owners should be aware and educated...but not frightened out of given drugs than can help relieve painful suffering in their pets.

/hijack

To the OP, talk to your vet about tramadol. We keep both tramadol and an NSAID on hand in our house to help with varying lamenesses in our seniors and younger dogs with injuries. As mentioned earlier, you can get it for $4 at Target or Walmart...probably others.

i stand by my quote about previcox,, and I resent your comments, I am a vet tech and I have seen th e damage this drug has done to many dogs not just a few

I am a vet tech and I have seen th e damage this drug has done to many dogs not just a few

What I would question here is what existing conditions did the dogs have, and was blood work done prior to starting the drug.

A friend's Grey back in Ma was put on Rimadyl. That Grey went into kidney failure and of course the owner blamed the Rimadyl for killing his dog.

He came to me about it because people kept telling him his vets, who were two track vets knew what they were doing and it wasn't their fault.

Long story short, the vets put the Grey on Rimadyl, there was a history of kidney disease they were unaware of and they did no blood work prior to dispensing the drug.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Look into Tramadol. It's also a $4.00 generic at Walmart.

That's what we use for arthritis. I just couldn't afford the deramax bill either, and I worry that the kinds of problems that class has caused in humans might crop up in dogs. I forget, maybe 4 years, no problems. $8 at Target for 200mg/day.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I've been following this thread with great interest as I'm trying hard to reduce some of my medication costs. I visited the Walmart website and when I did a search for Tramadol I got a message saying there is no generic form available through Walmart. Is there a different name I can use? Thanks for any help.

Pat

I've been following this thread with great interest as I'm trying hard to reduce some of my medication costs. I visited the Walmart website and when I did a search for Tramadol I got a message saying there is no generic form available through Walmart. Is there a different name I can use? Thanks for any help.

Pat

Tramadol is a generic drug

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

That's what we use for arthritis. I just couldn't afford the deramax bill either, and I worry that the kinds of problems that class has caused in humans might crop up in dogs. I forget, maybe 4 years, no problems. $8 at Target for 200mg/day.

Tramadol IS the generic for Ultram. I read an article in the Whole Dog Journal that said dogs with arthritis should be on Tramadol and none of the other NSAIDS. You have to discuss with your Vet. My guys get their blood tested every 6 months and their kidney and liver functions have remained really good.

Tramadol IS the generic for Ultram. I read an article in the Whole Dog Journal that said dogs with arthritis should be on Tramadol and none of the other NSAIDS. You have to discuss with your Vet. My guys get their blood tested every 6 months and their kidney and liver functions have remained really good.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Thanks for filling me in on this. I did a search again and Walmart.com says they don't have Tramadol.....I can always go into the store and ask a person about it.

Pat

Back to the OP's question:

Yes, you can use alternative methods and be successful. None of my seniors have had a NSAID since rimadyl killed my first greyhound.

I (and many others here), use Joint Health and Fresh Factors from Springtime Inc. I've tried other brands on dogs that are very painful and the results are not as good. I've been using Springtime products for almost 20 years.

Acupuncture and chiropractic are wonderful. Dr. Robinett has been adjusting my dogs since 1998. She now has a rehab clinic and the underwater treadmill is quite affordable and helps.

When the "kids" get real old and bad, I've added pred. Lucky -- all of the ones who needed it, tolerated it.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits